Zen and the Art of Knifemaking

    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 21, 2006
      The photo section now has 2 new pictures
      in the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking
      albums (pics 15 and 16). The first is
      a 12 1/2" long maple burl handled knife
      with a brass guard and a 1095 steel blade.
      The second is 19 3/4" long and has a
      beadblasted 1095 steel blade, and a brass
      and steel guard with a buckeye burl handle.
      I again found the focusing that takes place
      during the construction process brings about
      an excellent "high". Unlike tossing around
      concepts and words to make some point, you
      must be very focused and one-pointed when
      working with tools, machines, and sharp things,
      or some of the points you make can quickly end
      up in you. And there is no doubt that the more
      one practices, the better one gets at IT.

      When done working on any specific craft or task,
      the intense inner and outer focus that was idealy
      used during the creative process need not end just
      because you leave your workshop, as the whole world is
      your real working environment, and perfect attention in
      every moment is always appropriate...and a great "high".
      Message 2 of 27 , May 29, 2007
        In the Photos section, in the Zen and
        the Art of Knifemaking album, pictures
        29, 30, 31, 32, and 33 show a few of the
        newest knives to appear. They once were
        just steel, brass, nickle-silver, and
        exotic woods, and now they are tools that
        can be expected to last far longer than
        the collection of atomic and pre-atomic
        materials that held them and attended
        to their arrival. "I" did not will them into
        existence or do much else but serve as
        a vehicle of their transport from one form
        to another. It's also a time when different
        labels can be attached to them, but will
        that in any way help or prevent their use?
        Of course, it can be said and seen by some
        that originally they were just other
        forms of atomic and pre-atomic material
        that Mother Earth, or who/whatever caused
        to come together. And now can't we say if
        not see that that has again happened? Can
        I/we really say in honesty "I did that!"?
        The same collection of flesh and bones and
        emotion and mentation producing material
        can be pointed to in one way as "doing", but in reality
        aren't thoughts, emotions, and bodily activity
        just things that happen to the neurology of
        the physical body that we reside in for a given
        moment. And when that body is asleep, doesn't
        mental, emotional, and physical activity cease
        occurring? Your neuro-system is on Pause. But
        the Earth isn't, and the Solar System isn't,
        and the Milky Way Galaxy isn't, and our local
        Galactic Cluster isn't, and our Super Galactic Cluster
        isn't, and this and other universes aren't on Pause.
        And don't their action and interaction "count"?
        And yet we claim to be able to make things happen!
        Even if we are awake, can we assert for sure
        that we won't trip on our face when we get up from
        reading this? And yet we claim we have "will".
        And "self-control". And "can do". Isn't that hilarious!
        But there is one thing we can do and that is to
        witness our life as it takes place. We have been
        given this freedom, but it is the rare wo/man that
        takes advantage of this great Grace. And most just
        look out of the 5 sense box they are stuck in and
        judge, compare and comment on what flows by, rehashing
        the past and fantasizing about the future, and never
        look within to the infinite and eternal that is
        ever present and available. And here's where
        meditation comes in. There is no better way to cease the
        filling up our our box with chatter and litter. And
        when the box is empty of trash, it can and will fill
        with the beauty of the universe. The gift that humans
        have been given is the freedom to ascend and transcend
        the trap that each sense and trying to make sense
        brings about. When we just (as St John said) "Let IT Be",
        and do no-thing, then we're really doing something.
        And sometimes what happens is pretty sharp!
        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 9, 2007
          Since I last posted pictures of the
          knives that I had a hand (actually 2
          hands) in making, there have been
          a dozen more that have appeared.
          They can be seen in pictures #84 to 112 at:
          http://tinyurl.com/54ma6
          I have no real idea how they came to be
          a part of this dream that pretends to be
          "my life", but when I look around, they
          seem solidly present. I have really grown
          to appreciate the fine beauty of their
          wood handles and the form they have taken
          in a way that is similar to the way I
          appreciate more traditional art work.
          Prior to taking part in this craft,
          knives were just knives and wood was
          just wood to me. I am now in awe
          of the amazing textures and designs
          that are in the woods and acknowledge
          the artist who created them as a master.
          But as a witness to my inner chatter,
          I see that the potential to criticize
          this great display of divine beauty
          is ever present. And I laugh, fascinated
          by the moronic commentary that would
          interrupt my contact with the gift I
          have been given in my ability to
          appreciate and "get off on" something
          so exquisite. So I tell my chatterer
          to be still and embrace the moment and
          then let it go. And then smile with
          the silence and emptiness that shouts
          with joy as it fills with bliss. Now
          that's some sharp knives!
          Message 4 of 27 , May 6, 2008
            In the photo section, you will find additions
            to the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking folder;
            pictures 40, 41, 42, and 43. They show a
            dagger that has a Damascus steel blade and an
            Ironwood handle. I think you may agree with the
            general feeling among knife makers that Ironwood
            is the most beautiful wood, and Damascus is the
            most beautiful type of steel. They both are
            fine examples of why I think that nature provides
            the most beautiful art works. While witnessing
            the creation of this knife I was aware that what
            needed to be done by my hands and eyes would be
            conflicted if I let my emotions get involved, and
            similarly I saw that mental chattering would be
            distractive and not helpful. Once a method has
            been programmed into our body and brain, it is best
            to just let it happen. I'm always humbled when I
            see the end result and always get further unable
            to deny the reality that all that happens is "Thy
            will be done" in action. And, that if we in our
            arrogance think that we can "do" anything, it is
            very common for the universe to demonstrate how
            naive an attitude that is. For instance, can you
            be 100% sure that you won't fall on your face when
            you get up from reading this? Well, since I've rid
            myself of thinking I can make knives and have
            accepted that I can just be a tool for their coming
            into being, I've fallen on my face much less often
            when taking part in the knifemaking process. And I've
            found that as St Martha says, "That's a good thing".
          • Aideen McKenna
            Message 5 of 27 , May 6, 2008

              Actually, she says “That’s a Good Thing”.  You can hear the capital letters when she says it.

              Aideen

[...]

              Checked by AVG.

              Checked by AVG.

              Message 6 of 27 , May 7, 2008
                "Aideen McKenna" <aideenmck@...> wrote:

                > Actually, she says "That's a Good Thing". You can hear the capital
                letters
                > when she says it.
                >
                > Aideen

                Yo Aideen,
                You're right - when she speaks, it's often in Caps.
                A small coincidence is that when my wife read the
                post she said that she tought all of the "Thy
                will be done" quote should be in caps. I guess
                all these Higher Power types command special attention!
                Knifemaking

                > In the photo section, you will find additions
                > to the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking folder;
                > pictures 40, 41, 42, and 43. They show a
                > dagger that has a Damascus steel blade and an
                > Ironwood handle. I think you may agree with the
                > general feeling among knife makers that Ironwood
                > is the most beautiful wood, and Damascus is the
                > most beautiful type of steel. They both are
                > fine examples of why I think that nature provides
                > the most beautiful art works. While witnessing
                > the creation of this knife I was aware that what
                > needed to be done by my hands and eyes would be
                > conflicted if I let my emotions get involved, and
                > similarly I saw that mental chattering would be
                > distractive and not helpful. Once a method has
                > been programmed into our body and brain, it is best
                > to just let it happen. I'm always humbled when I
                > see the end result and always get further unable
                > to deny the reality that all that happens is "Thy
                > will be done" in action. And, that if we in our
                > arrogance think that we can "do" anything, it is
                > very common for the universe to demonstrate how
                > naive an attitude that is. For instance, can you
                > be 100% sure that you won't fall on your face when
                > you get up from reading this? Well, since I've rid
                > myself of thinking I can make knives and have
                > accepted that I can just be a tool for their coming
                > into being, I've fallen on my face much less often
                > when taking part in the knifemaking process. And I've
                > found that as St Martha says, "That's a good thing".
                > Peace and blessings,
                > Bob

                > Checked by AVG.
                5/06/08
                > 5:17 PM

                > Checked by AVG.
                5/06/08

                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 11, 2008
                  In the photo section, in the folder "Zen
                  and the Art of Knifemaking", you will
                  find a new knife that features Mammoth
                  tooth handles. As I was witnessing the
                  assembly of this knife taking place,
                  there was a unique feeling of an ancient
                  connection present. The obviousness of
                  handling a 30,000 year old object and
                  being extra careful to not mess it up
                  also brought about a special awareness
                  that is hard to label, but can perhaps be
                  represented by saying that the usual "just
                  witnessing and letting flow whatever may flow"
                  attitude had an extra effortless effort
                  energy added to it. I just saw an episode
                  of "American Dad" last night where the Dad
                  had souped up his car so he could drag
                  race with it (to impress his wife), and at one
                  point he hit a switch that ignited a nitro burst
                  that made the car blast off extra quickly.
                  And that's sort of how I felt during this
                  particular knife making session. It really
                  seemed to touch the semi-eternal nature of
                  Mother Earth. I can't wait to see what using
                  meteorite will feel like!
                  The pics are # 45 and 46. And to see many
                  more Zen and the Art of Knifemaking blades:
                  http://www.bobroseknives.com
                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 25, 2009
                    Once again I'll be displaying my knives,
                    and like what seems like just very few knife
                    makers do, talking about meditation. The show
                    is in Easton PA and will be held Sat and
                    Sun from 9 to 5. I expect to only be there
                    for Sat as there is an Eagles game Sunday and
                    I expect to be back home for it. After all,
                    I do try not to miss religious events, and
                    sometimes there are only 16 of them a year.

                    After the show we'll probably be going out to dinner
                    with several friends, so if you'll be in the area
                    please stop in and say "High!" and maybe join the
                    probably somewhat transcendental fun.

                    PS: You can see the knives at:
                    http://www.bobroseknives.com
                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 26, 2009

                      > Once again I'll be displaying my knives,
                      > and like what seems like just very few knife
                      > makers do, talking about meditation. The show
                      > is in Easton PA and will be held Sat and
                      > Sun from 9 to 5. I expect to only be there
                      > for Sat as there is an Eagles game Sunday and
                      > I expect to be back home for it. After all,
                      > I do try not to miss religious events, and
                      > sometimes there are only 16 of them a year.
                      >
                      > After the show we'll probably be going out to dinner
                      > with several friends, so if you'll be in the area
                      > please stop in and say "High!" and maybe join the
                      > probably somewhat transcendental fun.
                      >
                      > Peace and blessings,
                      > Bob
                      > PS: You can see the knives at:
                      > http://www.bobroseknives.com

                      Well, we just got back from the show and it
                      was very pleasant, fun and interesting. Nice
                      people, good conversation, lots of amazing
                      knives by some of the most talented makers
                      in the world. As is available in every moment,
                      lots of new in-sights and out-sights. I also
                      was pretty surprised to find right around the
                      corner quite a coincidence. There was the Belyea
                      Electric Supply Company, and just as Papajeff
                      deals with Transformation, they specialize
                      in Transformers. Yes, this incarnation is always
                      at least semi-interesting!
                      Peace and blesings,
                      Message 10 of 27 , Nov 20, 2009
                        The 2 latest knives that have appeared have
                        very ancient handle materials. One is from
                        mammoth tooth and is between 15,000 and
                        30,000 years old. The other is fossil coral
                        and is between 1.8 million and 230 million
                        years old.
                        As I worked with them,their antiquity radiated as
                        a sensation beyond just their appearance. Just as
                        when you enter a church or are at a holy place,
                        or in the company of a holy being, saint or
                        newborn, there was a feeling that was far from
                        the same old same old. I felt a connection to the
                        Earth and a unity with all life that has been and
                        is and will be her life's work. Humility and reverence
                        are the closest adjectives to describe the mood
                        that flew through, and still remains. And now the
                        beauty that for some reason was hidden within their
                        environments is now visible and to me is a
                        demonstration of the gifts of love from a sentient
                        universe that are available within and without.
                        I consider it a blessing to be able to spend moments
                        in the company of such simple yet so fantastic
                        creations.
                        PS: I am posting pictures of them in the Photo section
                        in the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking album.
                        Message 11 of 27 , Dec 9, 2011
                          This weekend I'll be displaying my knives
                          http://www.bobroseknives.com
                          at the Harrisburg PA Gun Show.
                          If you feel like sharing meditation concepts,
                          methods and experiences, I'll be glad to
                          spend time with you. This show is really unique
                          even for weapon-addicts. It's the only place I
                          know of where they not only sell weapons and
                          ammo, but where you can also buy and drink beer.
                          Talk about non-conduscive to meditation venues!
                          But in reality, it's a perfect place to put into
                          practice your non-distractability, keeping
                          calm in all situations, and awareness to the test.
                          So stop by and say hello. These days, it's actually
                          a safer environment than some college campuses, and
                          we may even find it to be a good opportunity to
                          evolve in consciousness.

                          Visitor Information
                          LOCATION
                          The show will be held in the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex & Expo Center, North Cameron and Maclay Streets, Harrisburg, PA.

                          DIRECTIONS

                          TRAVELING WEST ON THE PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE:
                          Take Exit 247. Travel north on PA-283, which merges with I-83. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                          TRAVELING EAST ON PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE:
                          Take Exit 236. Travel north on Route 15 to 581 West. Travel west on 581 and merge onto I-81 North. Follow I-81 North across the Susquehanna River, and then take Exit 67 for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                          FROM THE HARRISBURG INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT:
                          Head north on 441 to 283 North. Travel north on PA-283, which merges with I-83. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                          FROM THE WEST SHORE/CARLISLE:
                          Take I-81 North to Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                          FROM DOWNTOWN HARRISBURG:
                          Take Second Street north to the 2100 block and turn right onto Maclay Street. Follow Maclay Street east across the railroad bridge to the traffic light at the Farm Show Building. Turn left onto Cameron Street and travel north. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                          FROM THE NORTH:
                          Take 11/15 South following the Susquehanna River to I-81. Follow I-81 North across the river and take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                          FROM THE UPPER DAUPHIN AREA:
                          Take Route 147 South or Route 225 South to Route 322 (River Relief Route). Route 322 becomes Cameron Street after crossing over I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                          FROM HERSHEY:
                          Take Route 322 West to I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                          FROM LANCASTER:
                          Take 283 North towards Harrisburg to I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                          FROM YORK:
                          Take I-83 North across the Susquehanna River. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                          FROM LEBANON:
                          Take I-81 South towards Harrisburg. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                          FROM PROGRESS AVE EXIT OFF 81N:
                          Take Exit 69. Merge right with Progress Avenue Traffic. Turn right onto Elmerton Avenue at traffic light. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                          FROM PROGRESS AVE EXIT OFF 81S:
                          Take Exit 69. Turn right at traffic light onto Progress Avenue. At second traffic light turn right onto Elmerton Avenue. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.
                          Message 12 of 27 , May 4, 2012
                            Once again, I'll be displaying my knives at a gun
                            show this weekend. It's at the Philly Convention Center
                            in Oaks PA. Here's the URL for info.
                            http://www.eaglearms.com/Eaglearmsproductionfullpage.html
                            The last show we were at was one of the "highest" ones we've
                            attended. We had the pleasure of sharing meditation concepts
                            and techniques with several of our members who were there,
                            and it was a very nice experiential demo of transcending
                            what would normally be a semi-insane environment. Fun too!

                            One of the surprises was when we got to interact with a
                            great 11 year old kid who's father is one of the real
                            masters of martial arts. This guy is so tough he wears
                            a kilt to a gun show and nobody would dream of making fun
                            of him. And yet he has a wisdom and righteousness that is
                            all too rare. Glad to say that his son seems to be going
                            right along the same path.

                            Anyway, if you're in the area, please stop by and say hello.
                            If you'd like to see some of the newest knives I've made,
                            and that will be on display, they're at the bottom of the
                            web page here: http://www.bobroseknives.com

                            Message 13 of 27 , Sep 7, 2012
                              I'll be displaying my knives this Sat and Sun at
                              the gun show at the Harrisburg PA Farm Show Complex and
                              Expo Center 2300 North Cameron Street Harrisburg, PA 17110
                              I've enjoyed meeting and sharing time and experiences
                              with several of our members there in past shows and
                              look forward to that doing this again. Semi-interesting
                              venue - 800 tables of weapons and ammo... and they
                              serve beer!?!?!?
                              Relative to knife-making, I've been using amazing new materials
                              for the handles on my most recent knives and wonder at
                              the beauty of these man-made high-tech products.
                              They're so nice that one may not even notice the
                              hardly expert level my knife skills demonstrate. It's
                              kind of analogous to how having a loving personality can
                              make you attractive even if visually you're no Brad
                              or Angelina. These knives can be seen at the bottom of
                              my knife site at: http://www.bobroseknives.com
                              Anyway, if you do come, please don't wear some other
                              teams shirts than the Eagles. You know that this could
                              become a distraction from sharing meditation concepts
                              and methods as I might go off on rants about football:)
                              Hope to see you soon!
                              Message 14 of 27 , Sep 9, 2012
                                OK, by semi-popular request, here's a brief report of the
                                gun show. One of the most interesting things was that a forum
                                member and a friend of his have started to make knives
                                and seemingly are walking a similar path as I am relative
                                to finding it at times to precede interesting, pleasant, and
                                unusually informative meditative experiences...
                                IE: They report entering a focus of attention so intense and
                                yet so effortless that a shift in consciousness takes place
                                that they sort of defined as a transcendent level of non-dual
                                attention where one's individual identity melts away and
                                a new awakening reveals an infinite unification with what
                                Gurdjieff labeled "All and Everything". In any event, they
                                still have all their fingers and other body parts, and that
                                itself is a great result of clear meditative focus while
                                using very powerful and potentially dangerous power tools.
                                BTW, as a bonus, their knives looked very good and
                                should prove highly functional. And just like me they report
                                being surprised at having nice knives in their hands appear
                                almost magically when the sparks, smoke, smells, sounds and
                                heat subside.
                                Anyway, thanks to those who came out and shared their
                                wisdom and humor. Much appreciated!

                                Message 15 of 27 , Dec 14, 2012
                                  Once again, I'll be displaying my knives and sharing
                                  meditation concepts and techniques (the usual combination
                                  for a meditation teacher:) at the Philly Gun Show in Oaks PA
                                  this weekend, Friday Dec 14 from 4PM to 8PM, Sat 9AM to 5PM, and
                                  Sun 9AM to 4PM. Here's where you can get info and a discount coupon:
                                  http://www.eaglearmsgunshows.com/oaks-gun-show-philadelphia-expo-center.html
                                  There will be about 1,000 tables full of weapons, ammo, and just
                                  about anything you can think of that brings about violence and
                                  destruction, as well as thousands of people who are anxious to buy
                                  these items. And there will also be my table where consciousness
                                  evolving methods will be shared (as well as complaining about the
                                  Eagles). Many of the knives I have made will be available and with
                                  the holidays coming, I expect lots of activity that interrupts our
                                  "high" conversations. But this is all part of what life is about...
                                  and maintaining a meditative mode in active as well as in passive situations is what a meditative practice should include. And when
                                  someone approaches you carrying a machine gun, and has ammo around
                                  their neck, to discus how best to use a certain knife, or whatever else is making their mind chatter, it's certainly an excellent opportunity to witness your own chatter, and to apply Self
                                  control and maintain your serenity, or to see just when and
                                  how you lose it (which might be a more valuable benefit).
                                  So it is actually an excellent environment for learning about and experiencing meditation in real life. Hope to see you there!
                                  BTW, here's where you can see my knives:
                                  http://www.bobroseknives.com
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Dec 16, 2012
                                    Well, this weekend I spent displaying knives I've made at
                                    the Philly Gun Show. 1200 tables full of weapons and their
                                    accoutrements and thousands of people there to buy them.
                                    Much discussion about the duality of "guns don't kill people,
                                    people do" and "if there weren't guns available, there wouldn't
                                    be so many killings" Of course there were local TV crews there filming the goings on and promising to be "fair" in their
                                    reporting as they focused the cameras on assault rifles and
                                    other semi and full automatic weapons. This will be just a
                                    small part of the ongoing and now top news discussion.

                                    In between actually selling some knives, I spent time
                                    discussing meditation with people and even conducted some
                                    mindfulness exercises semi-maintaining a Witnessing
                                    perspective on whatever was flowing by moment to (what seemed
                                    like) another moment. And as is common when in a wordless
                                    meditative mode, words appear that (right or wrong) point to
                                    "an answer", and here are some that flowed by...

                                    I'm guessing that just as there are hundreds of millions of
                                    words available to us, and they don't seem to solve anything,
                                    there being hundreds of millions of guns and rifles right now
                                    in the USA, and they aren't solving anything either, maybe
                                    just being conscious is the only real "problem solver".
                                    As Gurdjieff put it...
                                    "Do not be affected by externals. In themselves they are
                                    harmless; it is we who allow ourselves to be hurt by them."

                                    (the above is a para-phrase of a post on the Gene's Gulag
                                    forum)