Death And How To Prepare For IT

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 16, 2006
      To answer an email requesting my feeling/thoughts
      about death, here is an article that appeared
      in our newsletter The Inner Traveler (issue#10).
      I hope it (and the technique it shares) will help
      you live your life in a way more realistically, and
      be beneficial to your spiritual evolution.

      Death And How To Prepare For IT

      You're not your body, you're not your mind,
      you're not your emotions. What you are,
      who you are, who your Real Self is, is the
      consciousness that can witness your physical,
      mental, and emotional reactivity and activity.
      It is your birthright to know this
      consciousness and recognize its energy,
      infiniteness, and eternal nature as your own.

      When you drop this body, you will not be doing
      anything new or different. Every night you go
      to sleep in your physical body and awaken to
      and use your astral/dream body. That already
      accounts for 1/3 of your life that you don't
      spend interacting with your pus, urine, feces,
      mucous, phlegm container. Even during the other
      16 hours of the day, we are rarely in touch with
      our body. Virtually all of our time is spent
      daydreaming about fulfilling our desires and
      fantasies or regretting what we have done to
      others or what they have done to us. "I would of,
      should of, could of" disease runs rampant and
      takes up huge chunks of our life. We rarely are
      aware of what our body is experiencing and even
      when we are it is usually only one sensation at
      a time. If we're listening to something, for
      instance, we are totally unaware of what our body
      is seeing, touching, tasting, or smelling. Thus,
      in a way, most of the time, 4/5 of our body is
      dead to us. Looking at the situation scientifically,
      we are a collection of cells made up of molecular
      compositions that are in constant flux. There is
      never a second that our atomic structure isn't
      changing. Every moment our molecules are different,
      our cells are different, our body is different.
      In this perspective, our body dies and is reborn
      every second. In reality, every atom in your body
      has changed from the time you started reading this
      until this very moment. And in this Now, you are
      again completely different. Similarly, when that
      inevitable moment comes when the energy of life
      leaves your body forever, the cellular, molecular,
      atomic, and subatomic structure of your body will
      simply continue doing what it always has. Your
      cellular composition will change into other molecular
      groupings. Atomic and sub-atomic processes will
      break down your molecules into components that
      will merge with other molecules and life will go on.

      When you die, what once were the cells that made
      up your flesh and bones will go into the earth
      and merge with the soil where they may be joined
      with other molecules that grow in the earth, like
      grass, get eaten by cows, which get eaten by
      people. They then get diffused as food into the
      cell structure of the person who ate them. If a
      body gets cremated, the particles are dispersed
      into the air and could be inhaled into someone's
      lungs and merge with that person's cell structure.
      If a body is buried at sea, its parts could be
      eaten by a fish that gets eaten by a person and
      becomes an integral part of their body. The cell
      absorption process merges the bodies and life
      continues. This has been going on for millions
      of years. It has been said that with every inhalation,
      we breathe in atoms that once were part of
      everyone who has ever lived.

      Please meditate on these obvious facts of life
      and cease and desist your illusion of being
      your body. It is simply an ever-changing collection
      of atoms that will continue changing forever,
      whether there is a living energy in it or not.
      You are not your mind or emotions either. They keep
      constantly changing, are inconsistent, and yet you
      know intuitively, in your gut, that you are constant.
      When you are awake or dreaming, your thoughts and
      feelings fluctuate between good and bad, happy
      and sad, clear and cloudy, calm and distressed,
      depending on the internal or external things
      stimulating you at the time.

      What you are is the consciousness that can and
      does witness the activity and changes of your
      mind, body, and emotions. It is not that which
      comments, judges, or compares. That is a function
      of your mind called your intellect. Rather, it is
      that which witnesses the commentary, judgments,
      and comparisons in silence that you are when
      you say, "I AM". This consciousness is within
      everything, everywhere witnessing everything,
      everywhere. When you stop identifying with your
      body, mind, and emotions, as happens at death,
      you gain the opportunity to tune into the infinite
      consciousness and witness all the permutations
      of life that have eluded you when you limited your
      experience to just those things experienced via
      the five senses of the human body and the finite
      intellectualizations and emotionality that go
      with them. Just as a chick gains new freedom when
      it emerges from its shell, you will enjoy an
      exquisite, infinite release from bondage when you
      drop your attachment to your body. Like a butterfly
      freed from its cocoon, you will soar into the stream
      of universal consciousness. Once free from the
      limitations of experiencing life with only 5 senses,
      you will never want to go back. And yet you will
      have to until the time comes when you have evolved
      beyond the misidentification of your self as apart
      from the rest of the universe instead of as a part
      of it. To help you achieve this merging and emerging,
      you have to stop fearing the passing of your body
      and prepare to do it calmly with a willingness to
      face the next phase of your evolution as the silent
      Witness that in fact you are and have always been.
      To help accomplish this, there is a specific meditation
      technique that allows you to practice what it
      will be like to die. It allows your real self,
      your Witness, to become more apparent to you at
      the same time as you become aware of that which will
      occur at the time of death.

      It is very easy to do this technique and yet
      very few meditations have such a great potential
      for learning and making a profound evolution in
      your conquering of the fear of death. Simply inhale
      slowly and deeply, as slow and deep as you can.
      Hold your breath as long as you can. Then, exhale
      as slowly and fully as is comfortable and then
      refrain from inhaling again for as long as you can.
      Repeat this 12 times, rest and do 3 or 11 more sets
      of this inhale, hold, exhale, hold rhythm. You may
      find it quite strange feeling, even alarming, when
      you first try to have no air in your lungs, but you
      will soon find that the more relaxed you stay during
      that time, the easier it becomes and the more
      comfortable you become. As a matter of fact, this
      may become the most influential technique you ever
      do for self knowledge. You can learn greatly about
      the way our body, mind, and emotions are reacting
      and causing you to react to the fear of death. You
      will gain first-hand knowledge of your real identity
      as the Witness that is transcendent of the body,
      mind, and emotions and gain the kind of faith that
      only the surety that first-hand experience can provide.
      There really is going to be a time that will come
      when you exhale and never inhale in this body again.
      Virtually every religion has prayers and rituals for
      the time of death and just after, that are intended
      to bring a calming to the one going through the
      experience. This meditation technique will get you
      used to the state and you will be calm and collected
      at that precise precious time you die forever to the
      attachment to this body. You can then collect your
      heavenly reward and truly live happily ever after.