Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Three 1/2 years.......nothing!

  • Marc Moss
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 14, 2006

      Some have said that meditation is just quieting the mind, having no thoughts. Wah Shan taught that meditation was about having no thoughts, not even awareness of thoughts. The path to enlightenment, according to him was to bring the mind to a state where no thoughts arise, whatsoever.  So, the most important question is this: does the Buddha think? Is enlightenment then comparable to being in a coma??

      Scientific studies on meditators are finding amazing changes in the brain...changes that usually don't occur. These changes are amazing because they are produced by the meditator, created willingly by the practitioner. Focused meditation (on an object, particularly a virtuous one like compassion, patience, emptiness) bring about a "re-wiring" of the brain, the physical brain. But, it is necessary for it to be a focused meditation...in which the mind remains fixed on the object for a very long period of time. The mind slowly withdraws from the senses and loses awareness of space and time. The parietal lobe of the brain (which is ALWAYS functioning and is ever aware of where you end and the rest of the world begins) slows down to almost nil. The practitioner at this time feels as though they have "become one with everything."

      Just sitting and becoming aware of you thoughts is a prerequisite to developing strong, one-pointed meditation. Having no thoughts at all isn't "emptiness", it's just unfocused and inspires little change in the mind. But, stilling the mind is important...and should lead to new levels in your meditative experience when you learn to fixate the mind.

      One must practice ethical living to ensure that the physical and mental basis is strong for meditation. It's a bit difficult to focus your mind on something virtuous like making changes and seeking enlightenment when you've been stealing and lying all day.

      I suggest reading Kamalashila's Bhavanakrama (steps of meditation) with a qualified teacher; Pabongka Rinpoche's Liberation in the Palm of Your Hand with a qualified teacher; Master Patanjali's texts on meditation with a qualified teacher...or learn from a qualified master from an honored lineage. This is important because you don't know if what you are learning will work or not unless it has been handed down the ages by masters who have used it. Watch out for those teaching something new...do they have someone in the lineage of their practice that accomplished the high goals they express?

      Thank you,
      Sonam

    • the32family
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 14, 2006
        Thanks Cheryl,

        This board has een fantastic so far,i can see i made a great decision
        to join>

        My problem(if you can call it that lol)with "visuals" thus far has
        simply been the placement of my computer,the comfortablity of my desk
        chair,the light in the room...etc.,but i can see how it would work.I
        feel i need a pitch black room with a large screen.I also feel the
        urge to close my eyes.

        using this with headphones has DEFINITELY been a help:

        http://www.bwgen.com

        cool,I'll let you know how it goes.

        -- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "cbondnelms"

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 14, 2006
          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Bonekeeper"
          <bonekeeper@...> wrote:

          > Hi Sean,
          > my first impression about you is that you have too much anxieties on
          > your life that are keeping you from focus. Remember how much time
          > Buddha himself had to sit down to achieve enlightenment. Remember also
          > that you have to give up anxieties and futile worries to achieve bliss
          > and happiness, not the other way around. "Abandoning attachment brings
          > release from suffering".
          >
          > Daniel

          You're very right Daniel.Without going into too much detail and boring
          you with the details of my personal life,the sudden loss of my job
          followed by a failed business venture has put extreme anxiety on me.I
          have extreme pressure from others as well,which is natural,I can only
          lean on a person for so long....

          Quickly,

          Before these things happened and life was coasting along,I became self-
          realized and lost absolutely all stress.Little things that used to eat
          away at me no longer had any effect.(my appearance,my spending
          money...etc..)

          Things were great!!!!

          Then this!Now,I know the right answer,however,that stress you detect is
          definitely present and this time is not subsiding as easily.

          But,yes,I know the answer,the one and only answer to overcome
          everything this "dream" presents.

          Sometimes,though,and I wonder if any of you ever feel this way,

          I feel like it shouldn't have to be this hard.I mean,to sit there with
          all the force that you can muster up in your heart and plead with "God"
          to let you into His consciousness,to "show you the light"
          then get nothing in return is VERY frustrating.

          Thanks
          awesome group
        • Citizens Active
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 16, 2006
            Sean,

            I was in a similiar situation as you recently.  When it got to the point I couldn't keep focus on my focus point (my breath), I threw myself to the universe so to speak, focusing on direction and purpose.  Afterwhich, I received related dreams ans had some so-called coincidences happen which relieve much of the anxiety which also helped to keep focus on meditations.  Something that also helped me was the use of reiki symbols in meditations, just do a search they're easy to find.  Also, you want to try to open up in a different like getting a reiki session done, you can find practioners everywhere now.  How this helps!

            http://mail.yahoo.com