Re: Three 1/2 years.......nothing!

  • sriramakrishnasutras
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 13, 2006
      and just by trying - is a good thing like this quote:

      STRIVE

      Strive. Strive to realise God. This is the purpose of human birth. The
      perfection of the realisation of absolute knowledge, supreme bliss and
      immortality is the one and only goal in human life. Release from the
      round of births and life in eternity is the goal of man. Till
      self-realisation is attained, man is subject to the law of karma and
      rebirth. Finish your task --- God­ realisation in this life itself; do
      not postpone it. Just as food is necessary for the body so also daily
      meditation and prayer are necessary for the soul.

      O man! Wake up from this slumber of ignorance. Why do you waste your
      life building castles in the air? Turn your gaze within. Stop all this
      hurry and worry. Sit down and relax. Dive deep within. Discover the
      pearl of atman. You will be freed from birth and death here and now.

      Remember the goal every moment of this life. Strive incessantly to
      realize it by living a life of detachment, dispassion, devotion, deep
      meditation and samadhi (self-knowledge).

      O man! Nothing is permanent. All things change. All things pass away.
      Seek the permanent, changeless, immortal atman and be free. He is
      truly wise who lives in the eternal and who is endowed with
      discrimination and dispassion.

      Life is a transforming process by which attachment, fear, anger,
      hatred and lust are transformed by steady and rigorous discipline and
      meditation into joy, bliss, peace and love.

      In simplicity is the secret of real beauty. Simplify your life. Be
      humble, pure, straight forward and true to yourself and others. Be
      good and do good so that each tomorrow will find you farther than
      today. Be humble, be meek, be pure, be holy, be godly and peaceful. Be
      charitable. Be moral. Be humble. Be courageous. Be pure. Meditate.
      Become wise. Whoever does anything with enthusiasm, patience and
      perseverance, never fails to achieve his object. Annihilate desires.

      Seek the company of saints and devotees. Control the mind. Control
      anger. Be charitable. Help the needy. Kill the ego. Be grateful.
      Respect the great. Be truthful. Indulge not in gossip. You will attain
      the supreme blessedness.

      :-)

      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "the32family"
      <the32family@...> wrote:

      > Hello group,
      >
      > My name's Sean.
      >
      > It was about three or four years ago,after a 7 year relationship crashed
      > and burned,I started reading about self-realization.The book was by Guy
      > Finley,still one of my favorites,and it set me off.I never really looked
      > back.I've had my ups and downs,like everyone,but I've read about 20
      > books and try to stay conscious as much as possible,BUT,for the life of
      > me,I still CANNOT acheive meditation.
      >
      > And I try OFTEN.
      >
      > Don't get me wrong,even 5 minutes of semi-silence is beneficial to
      > me,but,I mean,real meditation.
      >
      > I recently got this program that just plays a constant tone,that worked
      > great at first,but the effects have died down.Every session I pretty
      > much start off ready to go,using whatever method I am
      > trying(mantra,breathing.....),then slowly I will lose control of my
      > thoughts,at which time it's like rounding up cattle,then,eventually fall
      > asleep.Of course if I choose a postion that inhibits sleeping,it always
      > comes with an itch or a bothersome pressure point.
      >

      > I guess there are many techniques that I haven't been patient enough
      > with or having been properly taught,
      >
      > so I joined....
      >
      > Thanks for reading!

    • Daniel Bonekeeper
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 13, 2006
        And do it fast... the way things are going, Earth may not last long enough for much more life cycles... if things are hard now, imagine in 200 years from now when you may be too busy to meditate because you need to find water to drink ... LOL
      • Marc Moss
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 14, 2006

          Some have said that meditation is just quieting the mind, having no thoughts. Wah Shan taught that meditation was about having no thoughts, not even awareness of thoughts. The path to enlightenment, according to him was to bring the mind to a state where no thoughts arise, whatsoever.  So, the most important question is this: does the Buddha think? Is enlightenment then comparable to being in a coma??

          Scientific studies on meditators are finding amazing changes in the brain...changes that usually don't occur. These changes are amazing because they are produced by the meditator, created willingly by the practitioner. Focused meditation (on an object, particularly a virtuous one like compassion, patience, emptiness) bring about a "re-wiring" of the brain, the physical brain. But, it is necessary for it to be a focused meditation...in which the mind remains fixed on the object for a very long period of time. The mind slowly withdraws from the senses and loses awareness of space and time. The parietal lobe of the brain (which is ALWAYS functioning and is ever aware of where you end and the rest of the world begins) slows down to almost nil. The practitioner at this time feels as though they have "become one with everything."

          Just sitting and becoming aware of you thoughts is a prerequisite to developing strong, one-pointed meditation. Having no thoughts at all isn't "emptiness", it's just unfocused and inspires little change in the mind. But, stilling the mind is important...and should lead to new levels in your meditative experience when you learn to fixate the mind.

          One must practice ethical living to ensure that the physical and mental basis is strong for meditation. It's a bit difficult to focus your mind on something virtuous like making changes and seeking enlightenment when you've been stealing and lying all day.

          I suggest reading Kamalashila's Bhavanakrama (steps of meditation) with a qualified teacher; Pabongka Rinpoche's Liberation in the Palm of Your Hand with a qualified teacher; Master Patanjali's texts on meditation with a qualified teacher...or learn from a qualified master from an honored lineage. This is important because you don't know if what you are learning will work or not unless it has been handed down the ages by masters who have used it. Watch out for those teaching something new...do they have someone in the lineage of their practice that accomplished the high goals they express?

          Thank you,
          Sonam

        • Marc Moss
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 14, 2006
            Abandon attachment...but how? Ignorance is the basis for attachment. The ignorant mind clings to what it believes to be true about something and then moves towards wanting to not be separated from that thing, or to be as far from it as possible. The way things appear and the way they are is not congruent. You are forced by your past karma to see the things the way you see them. If abandoning attachment was as simple as hearing someone tell you to "abandon attachment," don't think there'd be a multimillion dollar industry in psychotherapy.

            You must study how ignorance creates the other poisons, thus experiencing suffering. You must study the Second Arya Truth: The Cause of Suffering. Attachment is an ingredient in that mix, but there's another skin to that onion, friends!

            Sonam

          • Marc Moss
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 14, 2006
              Friends,

              "If you practice these instructions correctly, then you will gain the razor-sharp sword of wisdom, a form of one pointed concentration where quietude and special insight (shamtha and vipassyana) are married together."

              The following is a list of the scenes found in the middle of the blockprint chart that was completed in the Tibetan Fire-Sheep year in Bene Dremo Jong. It has been stored at the Tarndu Ling Temple of Baksa monastery. Here is a link for a copy of the chart:

              Below is the translation of the instructions that appear in Tibetan on the sides of the chart:

              1) Setting the Mind on the object (an instruction given to you by your teacher
              2)Bringing the mind back to the object
              3)Watchfulness
              4)The six bends in the road represent the six powers. The first represents the power of learning the instructions. Based on this, one achieves the first mental state.
              5)The elephant represents your mind, and his black color symbolizes dullness.
              6)The monkey stands for distraction, and his black color represents agitation
              7)The presence of the flames, and their relative size, from this point up to the seventh mental state represent the relative amount of effort needed to bring your mind back to the object, and the degree of watchfullness needed.
              8)The power of contemplating the instructions, You use this to reach the second mental state.
              9)Keeping the mind on the object with brief continuity
              10)The gradual increase in the white patch from this point on, starting with the elephant's head, represent a gradual increase in the clarity and fixation of the mind.
              11)This symbol stands for the five objects of the senses, which themselvs represent the various objects that agitation focuses upon
              12)the power of bringing the mind back to the object. This allows you to attain the third and fourth mental states
              13)Keeping the mind on the object, with patches where you lose the object
              14)Subtle dullness. From this point on, you are able to recognize the distinction between obvious and subtle dullness, and other such details
              15) The monkey looking back represents the ability both to tell when your mind is wandering, and to re-focus it upon the object of meditation
              16) Maintaining the mind tightly on the object
              17) The power of watchfulness. This allows you to reach the fifth and sixth mental states
              18)Agitation is the first of the two that loses its power to appear in your mind
              19) When you are trying to develop quietude, even allowing you mind to be distracted to a virtuous object becomes an obstacle, and you must seek to stop it. When you are doing other practices though you do not have to stop it. And so we see the monkey reaching for the fruit of a second activity
              20) Watchfulness will not let the mind get distracted; and uplifting your heart leads you to a state of one-pointed concentration
              21) Controlling the mind
              22) Quieting the mind
              23) The power of effort. This allows you to reach the seventh and the eighth mental states
              24) Completely Quieting the mind. At this point it is difficult for even subtle forms of dullness and agitation to occur. Even if they do come, you are able to eliminate them immediately with a minimum of effort
              25) Here the fact taht the elephant has lost all the black, and left behind the monkey as well, represents your ability to engage in one-pointed concentration in an uninterrupted stream: if you apply just a little effort to bring your mind to the object and maintain watchfulness, then dullness, agitation, and distraction can no longer interrupt your meditation.
              26) Attaining single-pointedness
              27)The power of complete habituation, which enables you to reach the ninth mental state
              28) Reaching deep meditation
              29) Achieving quietude (shamata)
              30) Physical meditative pleasure
              31) Mental meditative pleasure
              32) Special insight (vipashyana) and quietude (shamata) marry together, focussing on emptiness, and allow you to cut the root of this suffering life
              33) One goes on to seek the correct view of reality, with a great ability to bring the mind to the object, and to maintain watchfulness

              These instructions that appear on the chart were developed from the words of the Buddha himself. He gave the teaching on the five mental states as follows:

              Place the mind on an object;
              place the mind on the object with some continuity;
              place the mind on the object and patch the gaps;
              place themind on the object closely;
              control the mind;
              pacify the mind;
              pacify the mind totally;
              make the mind single-pointed;
              and achieve equilibrium

              These are nine states of mind in meditation. As you can see, all of the instructions given by Lord Buddha here indicate the union of the mind with AN object. Meditating without an object would be like archery without a target...who knows where the arrow is going to go. I suggest printing these nine statements on index cards and testing yourself in your next meditation session to see which mental state you can reach.

              Sonam Tsering

            • the32family
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 14, 2006
                Thanks Cheryl,

                This board has een fantastic so far,i can see i made a great decision
                to join>

                My problem(if you can call it that lol)with "visuals" thus far has
                simply been the placement of my computer,the comfortablity of my desk
                chair,the light in the room...etc.,but i can see how it would work.I
                feel i need a pitch black room with a large screen.I also feel the
                urge to close my eyes.

                using this with headphones has DEFINITELY been a help:

                http://www.bwgen.com

                cool,I'll let you know how it goes.

                -- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "cbondnelms"

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 14, 2006
                  --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Bonekeeper"
                  <bonekeeper@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Sean,
                  > my first impression about you is that you have too much anxieties on
                  > your life that are keeping you from focus. Remember how much time
                  > Buddha himself had to sit down to achieve enlightenment. Remember also
                  > that you have to give up anxieties and futile worries to achieve bliss
                  > and happiness, not the other way around. "Abandoning attachment brings
                  > release from suffering".
                  >
                  > Daniel

                  You're very right Daniel.Without going into too much detail and boring
                  you with the details of my personal life,the sudden loss of my job
                  followed by a failed business venture has put extreme anxiety on me.I
                  have extreme pressure from others as well,which is natural,I can only
                  lean on a person for so long....

                  Quickly,

                  Before these things happened and life was coasting along,I became self-
                  realized and lost absolutely all stress.Little things that used to eat
                  away at me no longer had any effect.(my appearance,my spending
                  money...etc..)

                  Things were great!!!!

                  Then this!Now,I know the right answer,however,that stress you detect is
                  definitely present and this time is not subsiding as easily.

                  But,yes,I know the answer,the one and only answer to overcome
                  everything this "dream" presents.

                  Sometimes,though,and I wonder if any of you ever feel this way,

                  I feel like it shouldn't have to be this hard.I mean,to sit there with
                  all the force that you can muster up in your heart and plead with "God"
                  to let you into His consciousness,to "show you the light"
                  then get nothing in return is VERY frustrating.

                  Thanks
                  awesome group
                • Citizens Active
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 16, 2006
                    Sean,

                    I was in a similiar situation as you recently.  When it got to the point I couldn't keep focus on my focus point (my breath), I threw myself to the universe so to speak, focusing on direction and purpose.  Afterwhich, I received related dreams ans had some so-called coincidences happen which relieve much of the anxiety which also helped to keep focus on meditations.  Something that also helped me was the use of reiki symbols in meditations, just do a search they're easy to find.  Also, you want to try to open up in a different like getting a reiki session done, you can find practioners everywhere now.  How this helps!

                    http://mail.yahoo.com