Accidental Meditation

  • mrtjkool1
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 28, 2006
      I am a Freshman in highschool, and during the 8th grade I went
      though a huge depression. Most of my thoughts were negative and sad,
      and my self-confidence was very low. School was the only thing that
      would cause the depression, so when school ended and summer vacation
      came I was not depressed anymore. When school started again and I
      became a Freshman, I was terrified at the thought of becoming
      depressed again. I tried to prevent this from happening by shrugging
      off the negative thoughts that came to me, and sometimes replacing
      them with self-boosting ones. I noticed that my stress had lowered
      over time, I felt happier about myself, and I felt clearer-minded. And
      now that I think about it, I remember thinking about things deeper and
      more creatively than before. That phase has now passed, and I am
      neither depressed, nor as happy as I was, just fine i guess.
      I have recently been researching meditation techniques and trying
      them out every day, and now I wonder, "Was the phase where I replaced
      my bad thoughts with good ones a form of meditation?"
    • cbondnelms
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 29, 2006
        I would say you were using positive thoughts and positive
        affirmations in a meditative way. Positive affirmations are a great
        way to try and lift yourself out of depression. Contragulations for
        figuring out how to pull yourself out of depression.
        I think, if we are not fighting medical issues, we can choose to be
        positive or negative, and we should always choose to be positive and
        to meditate on positive thoughts.
        Depression robs us of the joy we should be experiencing in life, and
        your ability to realize that and lift yourself up is truly
        commendable.
        Congratulations!
        Sincerely,
        Cheryl