Re: How long has everyone been practicing meditation for?

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 11, 2006
      KH and all,
      One of the best meditations of them all deals with
      breathing in as close a way as possible. It may
      also have been the very first meditation. Here is the
      Soham technique (from our site, Meditation Station
      ( http://www.meditationsociety.com/week39.html ) Enjoy!

      The Bible tells us that in the beginning there
      was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the
      Word was God. But in the beginning, there were
      no words, no languages, or even sounds of humans
      or animals. So what was the Word that was in the
      beginning. This has been a great mystery, but like
      the solution to many mysteries, the answer has
      been right under our nose all along. And that is Soham.

      Soham is referred to as the "Mahamantra", the
      Greatest Mantra, and is considered along with Om
      to be the most powerful of all techniques. This
      was the first meditation technique, both in
      antiquity and in our own lives. The ancient
      cavemen, before they had invented language or
      fire, would sit in their dark caves and have
      nothing else to focus on but the sound of their
      breath. Similarly, the first sound we heard when
      we were in our mothers' womb was the sound of her
      breath, and this sound has been with us ever since
      we drew our first breath. It negates the need to
      rely on any of the words of the languages of the
      world to use as a mantra. It has brought people to
      transcendence of worldly limitations from time
      immemorial and continues to do so. It can be done
      even while driving, working, and doing other acts
      of daily life and thereby offers a continuous
      experience of being in the present. This is a great
      present, because Reality takes place now, in the
      present. Soham is a wonder-full meditation technique
      and I hope will bring you the experience of Knowledge,
      Consciousness, and Bliss that is your birthright.

      In the Bible, when God was asked what his name is,
      He answered " I Am That I Am'. In Sanskrit, the
      most ancient of languages, the sound of the inhalation
      is termed So, and the exhalation is Ham. Combined,
      the word Soham is translated as "I Am He/That". So,
      whenever you are doing this technique, you are calling
      on God. Every breath thus becomes a prayer and adoration.

      The Soham Meditation Technique

      At the time and in the place where you feel most
      comfortable, place your body in the position that
      you have found to be the most beneficial for
      meditation. Close your eyes. Close your ears by
      putting your thumbs in them, or by using earplugs.
      This will intensify the sound of your breath while
      diminishing the distractions that sight and sound
      bring. Command your mind to be silent, your emotions
      to be calm, and your body to stay relaxed. Focus on
      the sound of your breath coming in. Associate it with
      the word So. As your breath leaves, listen to the
      sound and associate it with the word Ham. To pronounce
      So and Ham correctly, listen to how they sound. As with
      most pranayama (breathing techniques), Soham is done
      either in 3 cycles of 12 or 12 cycles of 12. One
      inhalation and one exhalation are one respiration.
      12 respirations are one cycle. For those just starting
      to use this technique, it is usual to silently say the
      word So with each inhalation and the word Ham with each
      exhale. When you are focused consistently, consciously,
      you will flow into simply listening to the sound of
      Soham. Soham is by far the easiest meditation. It comes
      to all living creatures without any effort. And yet it is
      the deepest possible technique, as it presents the
      opportunity to meditate on the great mystery of life
      and the life-giver itself.

      No matter how we have acted and reacted, with each
      breath we are forgiven for our so-called sins and
      rewarded with another breath, another heartbeat,
      and another moment of life to cherish. No act of
      will on our part can give us breath. Literally, we
      are graced with this gift of life from a power greater
      than ourselves. A corpse has every bone, every organ,
      and every bodily system that we have, and yet it
      doesn't have life or healing energy filling every
      cell with every breath, as we have. As you merge more
      and more with Soham, you surrender your reactivity to
      your thoughts, emotions, and sensory impressions.
      These are all just heavy earth-bound suffering-causing
      limitations. The divine energy of Soham is limitless
      heavenly love and light. Witness, surrender all effort,
      and fill with this most precious gift of Grace.