Re: How long has everyone been practicing meditation for?

  • ryu.anime
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 11, 2006
      KC,

      Thank you for your response. I feel that breathing is the best way
      to begin meditation. I find it very calming and rejuvenating too. I
      started learning more about Zen meditation just recently. It has
      opened up many new paths for me, especially training the mind on one
      subject. Have you tried Zen? I learned that you can do more than just
      one type of meditation or several it all depends on what you feel.

      KH

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 11, 2006
        KH and all,
        One of the best meditations of them all deals with
        breathing in as close a way as possible. It may
        also have been the very first meditation. Here is the
        Soham technique (from our site, Meditation Station
        ( http://www.meditationsociety.com/week39.html ) Enjoy!

        The Bible tells us that in the beginning there
        was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the
        Word was God. But in the beginning, there were
        no words, no languages, or even sounds of humans
        or animals. So what was the Word that was in the
        beginning. This has been a great mystery, but like
        the solution to many mysteries, the answer has
        been right under our nose all along. And that is Soham.

        Soham is referred to as the "Mahamantra", the
        Greatest Mantra, and is considered along with Om
        to be the most powerful of all techniques. This
        was the first meditation technique, both in
        antiquity and in our own lives. The ancient
        cavemen, before they had invented language or
        fire, would sit in their dark caves and have
        nothing else to focus on but the sound of their
        breath. Similarly, the first sound we heard when
        we were in our mothers' womb was the sound of her
        breath, and this sound has been with us ever since
        we drew our first breath. It negates the need to
        rely on any of the words of the languages of the
        world to use as a mantra. It has brought people to
        transcendence of worldly limitations from time
        immemorial and continues to do so. It can be done
        even while driving, working, and doing other acts
        of daily life and thereby offers a continuous
        experience of being in the present. This is a great
        present, because Reality takes place now, in the
        present. Soham is a wonder-full meditation technique
        and I hope will bring you the experience of Knowledge,
        Consciousness, and Bliss that is your birthright.

        In the Bible, when God was asked what his name is,
        He answered " I Am That I Am'. In Sanskrit, the
        most ancient of languages, the sound of the inhalation
        is termed So, and the exhalation is Ham. Combined,
        the word Soham is translated as "I Am He/That". So,
        whenever you are doing this technique, you are calling
        on God. Every breath thus becomes a prayer and adoration.

        The Soham Meditation Technique

        At the time and in the place where you feel most
        comfortable, place your body in the position that
        you have found to be the most beneficial for
        meditation. Close your eyes. Close your ears by
        putting your thumbs in them, or by using earplugs.
        This will intensify the sound of your breath while
        diminishing the distractions that sight and sound
        bring. Command your mind to be silent, your emotions
        to be calm, and your body to stay relaxed. Focus on
        the sound of your breath coming in. Associate it with
        the word So. As your breath leaves, listen to the
        sound and associate it with the word Ham. To pronounce
        So and Ham correctly, listen to how they sound. As with
        most pranayama (breathing techniques), Soham is done
        either in 3 cycles of 12 or 12 cycles of 12. One
        inhalation and one exhalation are one respiration.
        12 respirations are one cycle. For those just starting
        to use this technique, it is usual to silently say the
        word So with each inhalation and the word Ham with each
        exhale. When you are focused consistently, consciously,
        you will flow into simply listening to the sound of
        Soham. Soham is by far the easiest meditation. It comes
        to all living creatures without any effort. And yet it is
        the deepest possible technique, as it presents the
        opportunity to meditate on the great mystery of life
        and the life-giver itself.

        No matter how we have acted and reacted, with each
        breath we are forgiven for our so-called sins and
        rewarded with another breath, another heartbeat,
        and another moment of life to cherish. No act of
        will on our part can give us breath. Literally, we
        are graced with this gift of life from a power greater
        than ourselves. A corpse has every bone, every organ,
        and every bodily system that we have, and yet it
        doesn't have life or healing energy filling every
        cell with every breath, as we have. As you merge more
        and more with Soham, you surrender your reactivity to
        your thoughts, emotions, and sensory impressions.
        These are all just heavy earth-bound suffering-causing
        limitations. The divine energy of Soham is limitless
        heavenly love and light. Witness, surrender all effort,
        and fill with this most precious gift of Grace.