Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: How long has everyone been practicing meditation for?

  • Marc Moss
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 6, 2006
      Dear KH,

      I heard a terrific teacher say once "different wells,
      same source." That took a number of years to "accept".
      But, it's true. Breathing meditation is a terrific
      start. Best though if you have a teacher, or guru that
      can guide you according to your needs. My perfect
      lama, Geshe Jinpa Sonam has given me tremendous
      guidance since I took vows from him. His love and
      compassion and tireless joy in teaching gives me not
      only invaluable advice but a role model. I dedicate my
      practice to not only being able to fulfill his
      teachings, but to one day attain his wonderful state.

      Finding a teacher is valuable beyond words. The
      hardest part is being able to practice what they've
      taught you. But, if you have taken vows, those lessons
      will either be gentle to learn and apply or they'll
      get louder and louder every time they present
      themselves to you.

      Finding a guru is no easy task. You don't just look in
      the yellow pages for the closest Buddhist temple and
      show up on their step saying "Um, yes, I'm looking for
      a Guru." Try finding a teacher in your area where you
      can attend their teachings and go, go, go to them. If
      you can afford the travel, go where there is a
      qualified teacher. If you want information on finding
      a qualified teacher, Alexander Berzin has terrific
      information on his website. But, Pabongka Rinpoche has
      detailed information in his Liberation in the Palm of
      Your Hand. (Lam Rim rnam gro lag bcang)

      I hope my information has been of assistance to you or
      anyone else reading this post.

      Marc Preston Moss
      (Sonam Tsering)

      as long as space remains, as long as living beings remain, until then - may I too remain to dispel the sufferings of the world. - Shantideva (Buddhist saint)

      My Website if this doesn't work, try sonamtseringla.tripod.com

      Sponsored Link

      Degrees online in as fast as 1 Yr - MBA, Bachelor's, Master's, Associate
      Click now to apply http://yahoo.degrees.info
    • ryu.anime
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 11, 2006
        KC,

        Thank you for your response. I feel that breathing is the best way
        to begin meditation. I find it very calming and rejuvenating too. I
        started learning more about Zen meditation just recently. It has
        opened up many new paths for me, especially training the mind on one
        subject. Have you tried Zen? I learned that you can do more than just
        one type of meditation or several it all depends on what you feel.

        KH

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 11, 2006
          KH and all,
          One of the best meditations of them all deals with
          breathing in as close a way as possible. It may
          also have been the very first meditation. Here is the
          Soham technique (from our site, Meditation Station
          ( http://www.meditationsociety.com/week39.html ) Enjoy!

          The Bible tells us that in the beginning there
          was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the
          Word was God. But in the beginning, there were
          no words, no languages, or even sounds of humans
          or animals. So what was the Word that was in the
          beginning. This has been a great mystery, but like
          the solution to many mysteries, the answer has
          been right under our nose all along. And that is Soham.

          Soham is referred to as the "Mahamantra", the
          Greatest Mantra, and is considered along with Om
          to be the most powerful of all techniques. This
          was the first meditation technique, both in
          antiquity and in our own lives. The ancient
          cavemen, before they had invented language or
          fire, would sit in their dark caves and have
          nothing else to focus on but the sound of their
          breath. Similarly, the first sound we heard when
          we were in our mothers' womb was the sound of her
          breath, and this sound has been with us ever since
          we drew our first breath. It negates the need to
          rely on any of the words of the languages of the
          world to use as a mantra. It has brought people to
          transcendence of worldly limitations from time
          immemorial and continues to do so. It can be done
          even while driving, working, and doing other acts
          of daily life and thereby offers a continuous
          experience of being in the present. This is a great
          present, because Reality takes place now, in the
          present. Soham is a wonder-full meditation technique
          and I hope will bring you the experience of Knowledge,
          Consciousness, and Bliss that is your birthright.

          In the Bible, when God was asked what his name is,
          He answered " I Am That I Am'. In Sanskrit, the
          most ancient of languages, the sound of the inhalation
          is termed So, and the exhalation is Ham. Combined,
          the word Soham is translated as "I Am He/That". So,
          whenever you are doing this technique, you are calling
          on God. Every breath thus becomes a prayer and adoration.

          The Soham Meditation Technique

          At the time and in the place where you feel most
          comfortable, place your body in the position that
          you have found to be the most beneficial for
          meditation. Close your eyes. Close your ears by
          putting your thumbs in them, or by using earplugs.
          This will intensify the sound of your breath while
          diminishing the distractions that sight and sound
          bring. Command your mind to be silent, your emotions
          to be calm, and your body to stay relaxed. Focus on
          the sound of your breath coming in. Associate it with
          the word So. As your breath leaves, listen to the
          sound and associate it with the word Ham. To pronounce
          So and Ham correctly, listen to how they sound. As with
          most pranayama (breathing techniques), Soham is done
          either in 3 cycles of 12 or 12 cycles of 12. One
          inhalation and one exhalation are one respiration.
          12 respirations are one cycle. For those just starting
          to use this technique, it is usual to silently say the
          word So with each inhalation and the word Ham with each
          exhale. When you are focused consistently, consciously,
          you will flow into simply listening to the sound of
          Soham. Soham is by far the easiest meditation. It comes
          to all living creatures without any effort. And yet it is
          the deepest possible technique, as it presents the
          opportunity to meditate on the great mystery of life
          and the life-giver itself.

          No matter how we have acted and reacted, with each
          breath we are forgiven for our so-called sins and
          rewarded with another breath, another heartbeat,
          and another moment of life to cherish. No act of
          will on our part can give us breath. Literally, we
          are graced with this gift of life from a power greater
          than ourselves. A corpse has every bone, every organ,
          and every bodily system that we have, and yet it
          doesn't have life or healing energy filling every
          cell with every breath, as we have. As you merge more
          and more with Soham, you surrender your reactivity to
          your thoughts, emotions, and sensory impressions.
          These are all just heavy earth-bound suffering-causing
          limitations. The divine energy of Soham is limitless
          heavenly love and light. Witness, surrender all effort,
          and fill with this most precious gift of Grace.