Re: How long has everyone been practicing meditation for?

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 6, 2006
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, ryu.anime
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > > I am new to the group. I do apologize to the old posts that I
      > > replied to but I am hoping that I can help others out and continue to
      > > learn myself from everyone no matter new, old, or great. I have
      > > practiced several meditations for 20 years. I am still trying to
      > > learn other types of meditations to broaden my horizons. I am
      > > currently working on Taiji, QiGong, and Yoga of course.
      > >
      > > KH

      I've been practicing for less than a year. Working with my breathing,
      and trying to lessen the discursiveness of my mind is challenging, but
      I think I've already experienced some initial reductions in my daily
      stress level. Anyway, I'm new to this forum, and it was nice to read
      your note. I hope this is a good response to your question.

      -KC
    • Marc Moss
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 6, 2006
        Dear KH,

        I heard a terrific teacher say once "different wells,
        same source." That took a number of years to "accept".
        But, it's true. Breathing meditation is a terrific
        start. Best though if you have a teacher, or guru that
        can guide you according to your needs. My perfect
        lama, Geshe Jinpa Sonam has given me tremendous
        guidance since I took vows from him. His love and
        compassion and tireless joy in teaching gives me not
        only invaluable advice but a role model. I dedicate my
        practice to not only being able to fulfill his
        teachings, but to one day attain his wonderful state.

        Finding a teacher is valuable beyond words. The
        hardest part is being able to practice what they've
        taught you. But, if you have taken vows, those lessons
        will either be gentle to learn and apply or they'll
        get louder and louder every time they present
        themselves to you.

        Finding a guru is no easy task. You don't just look in
        the yellow pages for the closest Buddhist temple and
        show up on their step saying "Um, yes, I'm looking for
        a Guru." Try finding a teacher in your area where you
        can attend their teachings and go, go, go to them. If
        you can afford the travel, go where there is a
        qualified teacher. If you want information on finding
        a qualified teacher, Alexander Berzin has terrific
        information on his website. But, Pabongka Rinpoche has
        detailed information in his Liberation in the Palm of
        Your Hand. (Lam Rim rnam gro lag bcang)

        I hope my information has been of assistance to you or
        anyone else reading this post.

        Marc Preston Moss
        (Sonam Tsering)

        as long as space remains, as long as living beings remain, until then - may I too remain to dispel the sufferings of the world. - Shantideva (Buddhist saint)

        My Website if this doesn't work, try sonamtseringla.tripod.com

        Sponsored Link

        Degrees online in as fast as 1 Yr - MBA, Bachelor's, Master's, Associate
        Click now to apply http://yahoo.degrees.info
      • ryu.anime
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 11, 2006
          KC,

          Thank you for your response. I feel that breathing is the best way
          to begin meditation. I find it very calming and rejuvenating too. I
          started learning more about Zen meditation just recently. It has
          opened up many new paths for me, especially training the mind on one
          subject. Have you tried Zen? I learned that you can do more than just
          one type of meditation or several it all depends on what you feel.

          KH

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 11, 2006
            KH and all,
            One of the best meditations of them all deals with
            breathing in as close a way as possible. It may
            also have been the very first meditation. Here is the
            Soham technique (from our site, Meditation Station
            ( http://www.meditationsociety.com/week39.html ) Enjoy!

            The Bible tells us that in the beginning there
            was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the
            Word was God. But in the beginning, there were
            no words, no languages, or even sounds of humans
            or animals. So what was the Word that was in the
            beginning. This has been a great mystery, but like
            the solution to many mysteries, the answer has
            been right under our nose all along. And that is Soham.

            Soham is referred to as the "Mahamantra", the
            Greatest Mantra, and is considered along with Om
            to be the most powerful of all techniques. This
            was the first meditation technique, both in
            antiquity and in our own lives. The ancient
            cavemen, before they had invented language or
            fire, would sit in their dark caves and have
            nothing else to focus on but the sound of their
            breath. Similarly, the first sound we heard when
            we were in our mothers' womb was the sound of her
            breath, and this sound has been with us ever since
            we drew our first breath. It negates the need to
            rely on any of the words of the languages of the
            world to use as a mantra. It has brought people to
            transcendence of worldly limitations from time
            immemorial and continues to do so. It can be done
            even while driving, working, and doing other acts
            of daily life and thereby offers a continuous
            experience of being in the present. This is a great
            present, because Reality takes place now, in the
            present. Soham is a wonder-full meditation technique
            and I hope will bring you the experience of Knowledge,
            Consciousness, and Bliss that is your birthright.

            In the Bible, when God was asked what his name is,
            He answered " I Am That I Am'. In Sanskrit, the
            most ancient of languages, the sound of the inhalation
            is termed So, and the exhalation is Ham. Combined,
            the word Soham is translated as "I Am He/That". So,
            whenever you are doing this technique, you are calling
            on God. Every breath thus becomes a prayer and adoration.

            The Soham Meditation Technique

            At the time and in the place where you feel most
            comfortable, place your body in the position that
            you have found to be the most beneficial for
            meditation. Close your eyes. Close your ears by
            putting your thumbs in them, or by using earplugs.
            This will intensify the sound of your breath while
            diminishing the distractions that sight and sound
            bring. Command your mind to be silent, your emotions
            to be calm, and your body to stay relaxed. Focus on
            the sound of your breath coming in. Associate it with
            the word So. As your breath leaves, listen to the
            sound and associate it with the word Ham. To pronounce
            So and Ham correctly, listen to how they sound. As with
            most pranayama (breathing techniques), Soham is done
            either in 3 cycles of 12 or 12 cycles of 12. One
            inhalation and one exhalation are one respiration.
            12 respirations are one cycle. For those just starting
            to use this technique, it is usual to silently say the
            word So with each inhalation and the word Ham with each
            exhale. When you are focused consistently, consciously,
            you will flow into simply listening to the sound of
            Soham. Soham is by far the easiest meditation. It comes
            to all living creatures without any effort. And yet it is
            the deepest possible technique, as it presents the
            opportunity to meditate on the great mystery of life
            and the life-giver itself.

            No matter how we have acted and reacted, with each
            breath we are forgiven for our so-called sins and
            rewarded with another breath, another heartbeat,
            and another moment of life to cherish. No act of
            will on our part can give us breath. Literally, we
            are graced with this gift of life from a power greater
            than ourselves. A corpse has every bone, every organ,
            and every bodily system that we have, and yet it
            doesn't have life or healing energy filling every
            cell with every breath, as we have. As you merge more
            and more with Soham, you surrender your reactivity to
            your thoughts, emotions, and sensory impressions.
            These are all just heavy earth-bound suffering-causing
            limitations. The divine energy of Soham is limitless
            heavenly love and light. Witness, surrender all effort,
            and fill with this most precious gift of Grace.