Re: Zen and the Art of Knifemaking

    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 5, 2006
      Yo Kurt,
      Thanks for all the great advise. I think you have
      well demonstrated one of the most surprising
      things I have found out about in the past 2 years,
      and that is that the community of knifemakers is
      one of the most generous in freely sharing their
      knowledge, and more so than virtually any other group
      I have been involved with. And unfortunately, that
      includes many groups who are supposedly dedicated
      to seeking "Truth". But, you have also found one of
      the truly selfless people in the...shall we call it
      ... "Enlightenment Community", and that is Sandeep.
      For much more of his sharing, check out his excellent
      web site: http://www.the-covenant.net/
      Now for some Zen and the Art of Knifemaking talk:
      I have just posted the latest knife that has brought
      together steel, wood, and brass to produce a tool that
      should last for much longer than the physical human
      body that was involved in its arising. It can be seen
      in photo's #13 and 14. 1095 steel again for the 12 3/4"
      blade and 17 1/2" total length. Much like a regular
      practice of meditation fills one up with a stable
      spiritual energy, the beautiful buckeye burl wood has
      been through a process called stabilization that has
      strenghtened it and will keep it from warping and
      losing its functional ability for years to come. It's
      hand formed brass guard will protect the users hands
      just as faith and prayer are said to do. I do intend
      to use other types of steel in the future as it is my
      nature to want to experiment with many ways to do the
      same thing (as can be seen by the dozens of different
      meditation techniques on our web site, Meditation Station
      http://www.meditationsociety.com ). And if I lived closer
      I would certainly take you up on your kind offer of steel,
      but I live in the Lancaster area, just outside Philly.
      As for using proper respiratory safety equiptment, you are
      100% correct. And I do. Just as we should have an environment
      that is free from negative stressors when we meditate,
      every place we are in should be free from toxicity.
      It was after the fact that I found my work area
      filled with the (potentially dangerous) stink
      of odors that grinding bone had released. And that was
      with using an air cleansing machine! And just like it may take
      quite a while for the negative mental, emotional and physical
      things we begin with to be cleansed with our meditative
      practice, it took several days of keeping the doors open
      and the air filtering going to get the air clean again.
      In any event, I've rattled on perhaps too much.
      Thanks again for sharing.

      snip

      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 21, 2006
        The photo section now has 2 new pictures
        in the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking
        albums (pics 15 and 16). The first is
        a 12 1/2" long maple burl handled knife
        with a brass guard and a 1095 steel blade.
        The second is 19 3/4" long and has a
        beadblasted 1095 steel blade, and a brass
        and steel guard with a buckeye burl handle.
        I again found the focusing that takes place
        during the construction process brings about
        an excellent "high". Unlike tossing around
        concepts and words to make some point, you
        must be very focused and one-pointed when
        working with tools, machines, and sharp things,
        or some of the points you make can quickly end
        up in you. And there is no doubt that the more
        one practices, the better one gets at IT.

        When done working on any specific craft or task,
        the intense inner and outer focus that was idealy
        used during the creative process need not end just
        because you leave your workshop, as the whole world is
        your real working environment, and perfect attention in
        every moment is always appropriate...and a great "high".
        Message 3 of 27 , May 29, 2007
          In the Photos section, in the Zen and
          the Art of Knifemaking album, pictures
          29, 30, 31, 32, and 33 show a few of the
          newest knives to appear. They once were
          just steel, brass, nickle-silver, and
          exotic woods, and now they are tools that
          can be expected to last far longer than
          the collection of atomic and pre-atomic
          materials that held them and attended
          to their arrival. "I" did not will them into
          existence or do much else but serve as
          a vehicle of their transport from one form
          to another. It's also a time when different
          labels can be attached to them, but will
          that in any way help or prevent their use?
          Of course, it can be said and seen by some
          that originally they were just other
          forms of atomic and pre-atomic material
          that Mother Earth, or who/whatever caused
          to come together. And now can't we say if
          not see that that has again happened? Can
          I/we really say in honesty "I did that!"?
          The same collection of flesh and bones and
          emotion and mentation producing material
          can be pointed to in one way as "doing", but in reality
          aren't thoughts, emotions, and bodily activity
          just things that happen to the neurology of
          the physical body that we reside in for a given
          moment. And when that body is asleep, doesn't
          mental, emotional, and physical activity cease
          occurring? Your neuro-system is on Pause. But
          the Earth isn't, and the Solar System isn't,
          and the Milky Way Galaxy isn't, and our local
          Galactic Cluster isn't, and our Super Galactic Cluster
          isn't, and this and other universes aren't on Pause.
          And don't their action and interaction "count"?
          And yet we claim to be able to make things happen!
          Even if we are awake, can we assert for sure
          that we won't trip on our face when we get up from
          reading this? And yet we claim we have "will".
          And "self-control". And "can do". Isn't that hilarious!
          But there is one thing we can do and that is to
          witness our life as it takes place. We have been
          given this freedom, but it is the rare wo/man that
          takes advantage of this great Grace. And most just
          look out of the 5 sense box they are stuck in and
          judge, compare and comment on what flows by, rehashing
          the past and fantasizing about the future, and never
          look within to the infinite and eternal that is
          ever present and available. And here's where
          meditation comes in. There is no better way to cease the
          filling up our our box with chatter and litter. And
          when the box is empty of trash, it can and will fill
          with the beauty of the universe. The gift that humans
          have been given is the freedom to ascend and transcend
          the trap that each sense and trying to make sense
          brings about. When we just (as St John said) "Let IT Be",
          and do no-thing, then we're really doing something.
          And sometimes what happens is pretty sharp!
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 9, 2007
            Since I last posted pictures of the
            knives that I had a hand (actually 2
            hands) in making, there have been
            a dozen more that have appeared.
            They can be seen in pictures #84 to 112 at:
            http://tinyurl.com/54ma6
            I have no real idea how they came to be
            a part of this dream that pretends to be
            "my life", but when I look around, they
            seem solidly present. I have really grown
            to appreciate the fine beauty of their
            wood handles and the form they have taken
            in a way that is similar to the way I
            appreciate more traditional art work.
            Prior to taking part in this craft,
            knives were just knives and wood was
            just wood to me. I am now in awe
            of the amazing textures and designs
            that are in the woods and acknowledge
            the artist who created them as a master.
            But as a witness to my inner chatter,
            I see that the potential to criticize
            this great display of divine beauty
            is ever present. And I laugh, fascinated
            by the moronic commentary that would
            interrupt my contact with the gift I
            have been given in my ability to
            appreciate and "get off on" something
            so exquisite. So I tell my chatterer
            to be still and embrace the moment and
            then let it go. And then smile with
            the silence and emptiness that shouts
            with joy as it fills with bliss. Now
            that's some sharp knives!
            Message 5 of 27 , May 6, 2008
              In the photo section, you will find additions
              to the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking folder;
              pictures 40, 41, 42, and 43. They show a
              dagger that has a Damascus steel blade and an
              Ironwood handle. I think you may agree with the
              general feeling among knife makers that Ironwood
              is the most beautiful wood, and Damascus is the
              most beautiful type of steel. They both are
              fine examples of why I think that nature provides
              the most beautiful art works. While witnessing
              the creation of this knife I was aware that what
              needed to be done by my hands and eyes would be
              conflicted if I let my emotions get involved, and
              similarly I saw that mental chattering would be
              distractive and not helpful. Once a method has
              been programmed into our body and brain, it is best
              to just let it happen. I'm always humbled when I
              see the end result and always get further unable
              to deny the reality that all that happens is "Thy
              will be done" in action. And, that if we in our
              arrogance think that we can "do" anything, it is
              very common for the universe to demonstrate how
              naive an attitude that is. For instance, can you
              be 100% sure that you won't fall on your face when
              you get up from reading this? Well, since I've rid
              myself of thinking I can make knives and have
              accepted that I can just be a tool for their coming
              into being, I've fallen on my face much less often
              when taking part in the knifemaking process. And I've
              found that as St Martha says, "That's a good thing".
            • Aideen McKenna
              Message 6 of 27 , May 6, 2008

                Actually, she says “That’s a Good Thing”.  You can hear the capital letters when she says it.

                Aideen

[...]

                Checked by AVG.

                Checked by AVG.

                Message 7 of 27 , May 7, 2008
                  "Aideen McKenna" <aideenmck@...> wrote:

                  > Actually, she says "That's a Good Thing". You can hear the capital
                  letters
                  > when she says it.
                  >
                  > Aideen

                  Yo Aideen,
                  You're right - when she speaks, it's often in Caps.
                  A small coincidence is that when my wife read the
                  post she said that she tought all of the "Thy
                  will be done" quote should be in caps. I guess
                  all these Higher Power types command special attention!
                  Knifemaking

                  > In the photo section, you will find additions
                  > to the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking folder;
                  > pictures 40, 41, 42, and 43. They show a
                  > dagger that has a Damascus steel blade and an
                  > Ironwood handle. I think you may agree with the
                  > general feeling among knife makers that Ironwood
                  > is the most beautiful wood, and Damascus is the
                  > most beautiful type of steel. They both are
                  > fine examples of why I think that nature provides
                  > the most beautiful art works. While witnessing
                  > the creation of this knife I was aware that what
                  > needed to be done by my hands and eyes would be
                  > conflicted if I let my emotions get involved, and
                  > similarly I saw that mental chattering would be
                  > distractive and not helpful. Once a method has
                  > been programmed into our body and brain, it is best
                  > to just let it happen. I'm always humbled when I
                  > see the end result and always get further unable
                  > to deny the reality that all that happens is "Thy
                  > will be done" in action. And, that if we in our
                  > arrogance think that we can "do" anything, it is
                  > very common for the universe to demonstrate how
                  > naive an attitude that is. For instance, can you
                  > be 100% sure that you won't fall on your face when
                  > you get up from reading this? Well, since I've rid
                  > myself of thinking I can make knives and have
                  > accepted that I can just be a tool for their coming
                  > into being, I've fallen on my face much less often
                  > when taking part in the knifemaking process. And I've
                  > found that as St Martha says, "That's a good thing".
                  > Peace and blessings,
                  > Bob

                  > Checked by AVG.
                  5/06/08
                  > 5:17 PM

                  > Checked by AVG.
                  5/06/08

                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 11 11:02 AM
                    In the photo section, in the folder "Zen
                    and the Art of Knifemaking", you will
                    find a new knife that features Mammoth
                    tooth handles. As I was witnessing the
                    assembly of this knife taking place,
                    there was a unique feeling of an ancient
                    connection present. The obviousness of
                    handling a 30,000 year old object and
                    being extra careful to not mess it up
                    also brought about a special awareness
                    that is hard to label, but can perhaps be
                    represented by saying that the usual "just
                    witnessing and letting flow whatever may flow"
                    attitude had an extra effortless effort
                    energy added to it. I just saw an episode
                    of "American Dad" last night where the Dad
                    had souped up his car so he could drag
                    race with it (to impress his wife), and at one
                    point he hit a switch that ignited a nitro burst
                    that made the car blast off extra quickly.
                    And that's sort of how I felt during this
                    particular knife making session. It really
                    seemed to touch the semi-eternal nature of
                    Mother Earth. I can't wait to see what using
                    meteorite will feel like!
                    The pics are # 45 and 46. And to see many
                    more Zen and the Art of Knifemaking blades:
                    http://www.bobroseknives.com
                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 25, 2009
                      Once again I'll be displaying my knives,
                      and like what seems like just very few knife
                      makers do, talking about meditation. The show
                      is in Easton PA and will be held Sat and
                      Sun from 9 to 5. I expect to only be there
                      for Sat as there is an Eagles game Sunday and
                      I expect to be back home for it. After all,
                      I do try not to miss religious events, and
                      sometimes there are only 16 of them a year.

                      After the show we'll probably be going out to dinner
                      with several friends, so if you'll be in the area
                      please stop in and say "High!" and maybe join the
                      probably somewhat transcendental fun.

                      PS: You can see the knives at:
                      http://www.bobroseknives.com
                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 26, 2009

                        > Once again I'll be displaying my knives,
                        > and like what seems like just very few knife
                        > makers do, talking about meditation. The show
                        > is in Easton PA and will be held Sat and
                        > Sun from 9 to 5. I expect to only be there
                        > for Sat as there is an Eagles game Sunday and
                        > I expect to be back home for it. After all,
                        > I do try not to miss religious events, and
                        > sometimes there are only 16 of them a year.
                        >
                        > After the show we'll probably be going out to dinner
                        > with several friends, so if you'll be in the area
                        > please stop in and say "High!" and maybe join the
                        > probably somewhat transcendental fun.
                        >
                        > Peace and blessings,
                        > Bob
                        > PS: You can see the knives at:
                        > http://www.bobroseknives.com

                        Well, we just got back from the show and it
                        was very pleasant, fun and interesting. Nice
                        people, good conversation, lots of amazing
                        knives by some of the most talented makers
                        in the world. As is available in every moment,
                        lots of new in-sights and out-sights. I also
                        was pretty surprised to find right around the
                        corner quite a coincidence. There was the Belyea
                        Electric Supply Company, and just as Papajeff
                        deals with Transformation, they specialize
                        in Transformers. Yes, this incarnation is always
                        at least semi-interesting!
                        Peace and blesings,
                        Message 11 of 27 , Nov 20, 2009
                          The 2 latest knives that have appeared have
                          very ancient handle materials. One is from
                          mammoth tooth and is between 15,000 and
                          30,000 years old. The other is fossil coral
                          and is between 1.8 million and 230 million
                          years old.
                          As I worked with them,their antiquity radiated as
                          a sensation beyond just their appearance. Just as
                          when you enter a church or are at a holy place,
                          or in the company of a holy being, saint or
                          newborn, there was a feeling that was far from
                          the same old same old. I felt a connection to the
                          Earth and a unity with all life that has been and
                          is and will be her life's work. Humility and reverence
                          are the closest adjectives to describe the mood
                          that flew through, and still remains. And now the
                          beauty that for some reason was hidden within their
                          environments is now visible and to me is a
                          demonstration of the gifts of love from a sentient
                          universe that are available within and without.
                          I consider it a blessing to be able to spend moments
                          in the company of such simple yet so fantastic
                          creations.
                          PS: I am posting pictures of them in the Photo section
                          in the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking album.
                          Message 12 of 27 , Dec 9, 2011
                            This weekend I'll be displaying my knives
                            http://www.bobroseknives.com
                            at the Harrisburg PA Gun Show.
                            If you feel like sharing meditation concepts,
                            methods and experiences, I'll be glad to
                            spend time with you. This show is really unique
                            even for weapon-addicts. It's the only place I
                            know of where they not only sell weapons and
                            ammo, but where you can also buy and drink beer.
                            Talk about non-conduscive to meditation venues!
                            But in reality, it's a perfect place to put into
                            practice your non-distractability, keeping
                            calm in all situations, and awareness to the test.
                            So stop by and say hello. These days, it's actually
                            a safer environment than some college campuses, and
                            we may even find it to be a good opportunity to
                            evolve in consciousness.

                            Visitor Information
                            LOCATION
                            The show will be held in the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex & Expo Center, North Cameron and Maclay Streets, Harrisburg, PA.

                            DIRECTIONS

                            TRAVELING WEST ON THE PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE:
                            Take Exit 247. Travel north on PA-283, which merges with I-83. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                            TRAVELING EAST ON PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE:
                            Take Exit 236. Travel north on Route 15 to 581 West. Travel west on 581 and merge onto I-81 North. Follow I-81 North across the Susquehanna River, and then take Exit 67 for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                            FROM THE HARRISBURG INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT:
                            Head north on 441 to 283 North. Travel north on PA-283, which merges with I-83. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                            FROM THE WEST SHORE/CARLISLE:
                            Take I-81 North to Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                            FROM DOWNTOWN HARRISBURG:
                            Take Second Street north to the 2100 block and turn right onto Maclay Street. Follow Maclay Street east across the railroad bridge to the traffic light at the Farm Show Building. Turn left onto Cameron Street and travel north. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                            FROM THE NORTH:
                            Take 11/15 South following the Susquehanna River to I-81. Follow I-81 North across the river and take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                            FROM THE UPPER DAUPHIN AREA:
                            Take Route 147 South or Route 225 South to Route 322 (River Relief Route). Route 322 becomes Cameron Street after crossing over I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                            FROM HERSHEY:
                            Take Route 322 West to I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                            FROM LANCASTER:
                            Take 283 North towards Harrisburg to I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                            FROM YORK:
                            Take I-83 North across the Susquehanna River. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                            FROM LEBANON:
                            Take I-81 South towards Harrisburg. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                            FROM PROGRESS AVE EXIT OFF 81N:
                            Take Exit 69. Merge right with Progress Avenue Traffic. Turn right onto Elmerton Avenue at traffic light. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                            FROM PROGRESS AVE EXIT OFF 81S:
                            Take Exit 69. Turn right at traffic light onto Progress Avenue. At second traffic light turn right onto Elmerton Avenue. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.
                            Message 13 of 27 , May 4, 2012
                              Once again, I'll be displaying my knives at a gun
                              show this weekend. It's at the Philly Convention Center
                              in Oaks PA. Here's the URL for info.
                              http://www.eaglearms.com/Eaglearmsproductionfullpage.html
                              The last show we were at was one of the "highest" ones we've
                              attended. We had the pleasure of sharing meditation concepts
                              and techniques with several of our members who were there,
                              and it was a very nice experiential demo of transcending
                              what would normally be a semi-insane environment. Fun too!

                              One of the surprises was when we got to interact with a
                              great 11 year old kid who's father is one of the real
                              masters of martial arts. This guy is so tough he wears
                              a kilt to a gun show and nobody would dream of making fun
                              of him. And yet he has a wisdom and righteousness that is
                              all too rare. Glad to say that his son seems to be going
                              right along the same path.

                              Anyway, if you're in the area, please stop by and say hello.
                              If you'd like to see some of the newest knives I've made,
                              and that will be on display, they're at the bottom of the
                              web page here: http://www.bobroseknives.com

                              Message 14 of 27 , Sep 7, 2012
                                I'll be displaying my knives this Sat and Sun at
                                the gun show at the Harrisburg PA Farm Show Complex and
                                Expo Center 2300 North Cameron Street Harrisburg, PA 17110
                                I've enjoyed meeting and sharing time and experiences
                                with several of our members there in past shows and
                                look forward to that doing this again. Semi-interesting
                                venue - 800 tables of weapons and ammo... and they
                                serve beer!?!?!?
                                Relative to knife-making, I've been using amazing new materials
                                for the handles on my most recent knives and wonder at
                                the beauty of these man-made high-tech products.
                                They're so nice that one may not even notice the
                                hardly expert level my knife skills demonstrate. It's
                                kind of analogous to how having a loving personality can
                                make you attractive even if visually you're no Brad
                                or Angelina. These knives can be seen at the bottom of
                                my knife site at: http://www.bobroseknives.com
                                Anyway, if you do come, please don't wear some other
                                teams shirts than the Eagles. You know that this could
                                become a distraction from sharing meditation concepts
                                and methods as I might go off on rants about football:)
                                Hope to see you soon!
                                Message 15 of 27 , Sep 9, 2012
                                  OK, by semi-popular request, here's a brief report of the
                                  gun show. One of the most interesting things was that a forum
                                  member and a friend of his have started to make knives
                                  and seemingly are walking a similar path as I am relative
                                  to finding it at times to precede interesting, pleasant, and
                                  unusually informative meditative experiences...
                                  IE: They report entering a focus of attention so intense and
                                  yet so effortless that a shift in consciousness takes place
                                  that they sort of defined as a transcendent level of non-dual
                                  attention where one's individual identity melts away and
                                  a new awakening reveals an infinite unification with what
                                  Gurdjieff labeled "All and Everything". In any event, they
                                  still have all their fingers and other body parts, and that
                                  itself is a great result of clear meditative focus while
                                  using very powerful and potentially dangerous power tools.
                                  BTW, as a bonus, their knives looked very good and
                                  should prove highly functional. And just like me they report
                                  being surprised at having nice knives in their hands appear
                                  almost magically when the sparks, smoke, smells, sounds and
                                  heat subside.
                                  Anyway, thanks to those who came out and shared their
                                  wisdom and humor. Much appreciated!

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Dec 14, 2012
                                    Once again, I'll be displaying my knives and sharing
                                    meditation concepts and techniques (the usual combination
                                    for a meditation teacher:) at the Philly Gun Show in Oaks PA
                                    this weekend, Friday Dec 14 from 4PM to 8PM, Sat 9AM to 5PM, and
                                    Sun 9AM to 4PM. Here's where you can get info and a discount coupon:
                                    http://www.eaglearmsgunshows.com/oaks-gun-show-philadelphia-expo-center.html
                                    There will be about 1,000 tables full of weapons, ammo, and just
                                    about anything you can think of that brings about violence and
                                    destruction, as well as thousands of people who are anxious to buy
                                    these items. And there will also be my table where consciousness
                                    evolving methods will be shared (as well as complaining about the
                                    Eagles). Many of the knives I have made will be available and with
                                    the holidays coming, I expect lots of activity that interrupts our
                                    "high" conversations. But this is all part of what life is about...
                                    and maintaining a meditative mode in active as well as in passive situations is what a meditative practice should include. And when
                                    someone approaches you carrying a machine gun, and has ammo around
                                    their neck, to discus how best to use a certain knife, or whatever else is making their mind chatter, it's certainly an excellent opportunity to witness your own chatter, and to apply Self
                                    control and maintain your serenity, or to see just when and
                                    how you lose it (which might be a more valuable benefit).
                                    So it is actually an excellent environment for learning about and experiencing meditation in real life. Hope to see you there!
                                    BTW, here's where you can see my knives:
                                    http://www.bobroseknives.com
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Dec 16, 2012
                                      Well, this weekend I spent displaying knives I've made at
                                      the Philly Gun Show. 1200 tables full of weapons and their
                                      accoutrements and thousands of people there to buy them.
                                      Much discussion about the duality of "guns don't kill people,
                                      people do" and "if there weren't guns available, there wouldn't
                                      be so many killings" Of course there were local TV crews there filming the goings on and promising to be "fair" in their
                                      reporting as they focused the cameras on assault rifles and
                                      other semi and full automatic weapons. This will be just a
                                      small part of the ongoing and now top news discussion.

                                      In between actually selling some knives, I spent time
                                      discussing meditation with people and even conducted some
                                      mindfulness exercises semi-maintaining a Witnessing
                                      perspective on whatever was flowing by moment to (what seemed
                                      like) another moment. And as is common when in a wordless
                                      meditative mode, words appear that (right or wrong) point to
                                      "an answer", and here are some that flowed by...

                                      I'm guessing that just as there are hundreds of millions of
                                      words available to us, and they don't seem to solve anything,
                                      there being hundreds of millions of guns and rifles right now
                                      in the USA, and they aren't solving anything either, maybe
                                      just being conscious is the only real "problem solver".
                                      As Gurdjieff put it...
                                      "Do not be affected by externals. In themselves they are
                                      harmless; it is we who allow ourselves to be hurt by them."

                                      (the above is a para-phrase of a post on the Gene's Gulag
                                      forum)