How do you *address* the divine in prayer?

  • lesley_j2001
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 29, 2002
      Hello again. I want to teach my dd, who is 2.5, a simple prayer to
      say at bedtime. I plan to teach a prayer of thanksgiving and
      affirmation. The big issue I have is that I don't know how to tell
      her to address the divine. I personally steer away from the term God
      because I hear too many people use it to suggest specific things. I
      think of the divine as the Universal Creator, but I don't want to
      use Creator because of what that term connotes. (I belong to the
      camp believing that the Universe was created by a being/something
      and then we evolved and still evolve today.) Universe alone or the
      term principle are both a little to unconventional in case she
      begins talking about it with her friends one day. Divine mother or
      father are nice, but I don't want her to have a me to him/her
      concept as I believe in jointness (did that make sense?)

      How can I define in one or two words a belief in a universal creator
      with whom we are one in the ebbing and flowing of spiritual and
      scientic principle?

      Any ideas or suggestions?

      Lesley
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 29, 2002
        Dear Leslie,
        Judi isn't really the Queen of England, and actually doesn't go for
        any pretenders to any thrones. Perhaps the Native American designation
        of Great Spirit might be appropriate. Or, just have her pray for the
        well being of Mommy, her friends, etc., without any designation as to
        who is being prayed to. Sort of a wish for "good". In any event,
        anything is probably better than the "Boogie Man".
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, lesley_j2001