Yet Another Zen and the Art of Knifemaking

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2006
      There is a new photo (#12) in the album titled
      Zen and the Art of Knifemaking. It shows a new
      knife that has a camel bone handle and 1095
      steel with a Nickle/Steel guard. I got the
      handle material at a knife show by trading
      wood handle parts for it. I have no idea where
      the person I traded with got it from. Perhaps
      partly because of my being a 42+ year lacto-
      ovo vegetarian, I noticed my mind doing some
      chattering in the form of prayers for the animal
      that gave it's body part for this knife. I sent
      it my love and appreciation and wished it a fine
      incarnation. I know that bone has been used in
      making knives since man first used tools, and
      felt a connection to all those who came before
      me. During the construction the bone proved to be
      very terrible smelling as I ground it into shape.
      Is this the universe telling me that to do this
      again is a stinky idea? I don't know, but as I try
      to listen when the moment is full of a message, I
      will never use this kind of part again. In reality
      we live in a time when there are other materials
      to use for our tools, and just as we now use indoor
      plumbing, I will use more modern technology for
      knifemaking.