Zen and the Art of Knifemaking

    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 13, 2006
      There are 2 new pictures in the Photo
      section titled Zen and the Art of
      Knifemaking (#10 and 11) that are of
      the latest knife to appear. This one
      is a Japanese style kitchen knife that
      Bette, my wife, will be using to cut
      up veggies. It's the 1st one that I have
      made for a specific use and the first
      that I have made for her, so I had
      a very definite intention when I started
      its construction.
      I had a nice bar of damascus steel to use
      and also a beautiful block of Ironwood to
      use for the handle. Motivated by wanting
      to do something good enough for Bette,
      who always has done everything for me
      so very well, and also wanting to do
      justice to the fine materials I had
      to work with, I witnessed myself having
      a special feeling as I went about the
      different steps that are involved in knife
      making. I would describe this as "having an
      aim" more than simply desiring something.
      This aim, the intention, the gratitude for
      the opportunity to (in a very small way)
      "repay" Bette, gave my actions an energy that
      carried with it an easier than usual flow
      that brought this knife to birth without
      "me" seeming to be there with the usual
      inner chatter that I witness so often as
      I try to "do" things. No judging, no ongoing
      commentary, just movements with a "dedication"
      that was palpable. I had no feeling at all that
      "I" was doing anything. Then, a knife was there.
      It's 11 1/2" long, 2 1/4" wide, and has a brass
      and nickle silver mosaic pin and a nickle silver
      bolster. The 6 1/2" blade has a hollow grind and
      is very thin and sharp. I don't know if there is
      any of me in this knife, but I'm sure there is a
      lot of Bette and lots of gratitude too.
    • kurt_kurosawa
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 5, 2006
        I sent a post but I don't know where (your account is set up not to
        receive e-mail), so at the risk of repeating myself and generally
        being totally off-topic:

        - About the smell, it pays to wear a respirator. The particulates in
        the air can be themselves harmful, little sharp shards of steel that
        you don't want moving and grooving in your lungs when you cough.
        Then there's the chemical aspect, e.g. cocobolo is toxic and other
        natural materials may be allergens. And since you're working with
        bone from (presumably) overseas, it would be hard to completely
        discount the possibility of inhaling microorganisms/spores.

        - I see you're using 1095, a very good steel, but if you're getting
        a little "boomerang" in the quench, you might want to give O-1 a
        stab (so to speak). I love O-1, so forgiving and can be
        differentially drawn. For the quench, get a coffee can full of auto
        tranny fluid, heat it to 125 F (by sticking a bar of hot steel and a
        candy thermometer in it).

        - 5160 is cheaper; it's (as the name says) nominally 0.60% carbon
        but it also has 0.2% silicon and 0.7% chromium. A little tougher and
        can be hardened up near the 60s. I'm in the Tidewater Virginia area
        and if you live nearby (you don't want to pay shipping) I have a few
        pounds (maybe something like 30 feet in 3 or 3.5 foot lengths) of
        1/4 x 1" 5160 I can give you free.

        Best, Kurt

        PS my favorite meditational incense is sweet coal smoke, see if the
        library has books by Alexander Weygers, he explains how to make your
        own forge from a coffee can and anvil from a piece of railroad
        track, and gives instruction on beating hot steel.
        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 5, 2006
          Yo Kurt,
          Thanks for all the great advise. I think you have
          well demonstrated one of the most surprising
          things I have found out about in the past 2 years,
          and that is that the community of knifemakers is
          one of the most generous in freely sharing their
          knowledge, and more so than virtually any other group
          I have been involved with. And unfortunately, that
          includes many groups who are supposedly dedicated
          to seeking "Truth". But, you have also found one of
          the truly selfless people in the...shall we call it
          ... "Enlightenment Community", and that is Sandeep.
          For much more of his sharing, check out his excellent
          web site: http://www.the-covenant.net/
          Now for some Zen and the Art of Knifemaking talk:
          I have just posted the latest knife that has brought
          together steel, wood, and brass to produce a tool that
          should last for much longer than the physical human
          body that was involved in its arising. It can be seen
          in photo's #13 and 14. 1095 steel again for the 12 3/4"
          blade and 17 1/2" total length. Much like a regular
          practice of meditation fills one up with a stable
          spiritual energy, the beautiful buckeye burl wood has
          been through a process called stabilization that has
          strenghtened it and will keep it from warping and
          losing its functional ability for years to come. It's
          hand formed brass guard will protect the users hands
          just as faith and prayer are said to do. I do intend
          to use other types of steel in the future as it is my
          nature to want to experiment with many ways to do the
          same thing (as can be seen by the dozens of different
          meditation techniques on our web site, Meditation Station
          http://www.meditationsociety.com ). And if I lived closer
          I would certainly take you up on your kind offer of steel,
          but I live in the Lancaster area, just outside Philly.
          As for using proper respiratory safety equiptment, you are
          100% correct. And I do. Just as we should have an environment
          that is free from negative stressors when we meditate,
          every place we are in should be free from toxicity.
          It was after the fact that I found my work area
          filled with the (potentially dangerous) stink
          of odors that grinding bone had released. And that was
          with using an air cleansing machine! And just like it may take
          quite a while for the negative mental, emotional and physical
          things we begin with to be cleansed with our meditative
          practice, it took several days of keeping the doors open
          and the air filtering going to get the air clean again.
          In any event, I've rattled on perhaps too much.
          Thanks again for sharing.

          snip

          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 21, 2006
            The photo section now has 2 new pictures
            in the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking
            albums (pics 15 and 16). The first is
            a 12 1/2" long maple burl handled knife
            with a brass guard and a 1095 steel blade.
            The second is 19 3/4" long and has a
            beadblasted 1095 steel blade, and a brass
            and steel guard with a buckeye burl handle.
            I again found the focusing that takes place
            during the construction process brings about
            an excellent "high". Unlike tossing around
            concepts and words to make some point, you
            must be very focused and one-pointed when
            working with tools, machines, and sharp things,
            or some of the points you make can quickly end
            up in you. And there is no doubt that the more
            one practices, the better one gets at IT.

            When done working on any specific craft or task,
            the intense inner and outer focus that was idealy
            used during the creative process need not end just
            because you leave your workshop, as the whole world is
            your real working environment, and perfect attention in
            every moment is always appropriate...and a great "high".
            Message 5 of 27 , May 29, 2007
              In the Photos section, in the Zen and
              the Art of Knifemaking album, pictures
              29, 30, 31, 32, and 33 show a few of the
              newest knives to appear. They once were
              just steel, brass, nickle-silver, and
              exotic woods, and now they are tools that
              can be expected to last far longer than
              the collection of atomic and pre-atomic
              materials that held them and attended
              to their arrival. "I" did not will them into
              existence or do much else but serve as
              a vehicle of their transport from one form
              to another. It's also a time when different
              labels can be attached to them, but will
              that in any way help or prevent their use?
              Of course, it can be said and seen by some
              that originally they were just other
              forms of atomic and pre-atomic material
              that Mother Earth, or who/whatever caused
              to come together. And now can't we say if
              not see that that has again happened? Can
              I/we really say in honesty "I did that!"?
              The same collection of flesh and bones and
              emotion and mentation producing material
              can be pointed to in one way as "doing", but in reality
              aren't thoughts, emotions, and bodily activity
              just things that happen to the neurology of
              the physical body that we reside in for a given
              moment. And when that body is asleep, doesn't
              mental, emotional, and physical activity cease
              occurring? Your neuro-system is on Pause. But
              the Earth isn't, and the Solar System isn't,
              and the Milky Way Galaxy isn't, and our local
              Galactic Cluster isn't, and our Super Galactic Cluster
              isn't, and this and other universes aren't on Pause.
              And don't their action and interaction "count"?
              And yet we claim to be able to make things happen!
              Even if we are awake, can we assert for sure
              that we won't trip on our face when we get up from
              reading this? And yet we claim we have "will".
              And "self-control". And "can do". Isn't that hilarious!
              But there is one thing we can do and that is to
              witness our life as it takes place. We have been
              given this freedom, but it is the rare wo/man that
              takes advantage of this great Grace. And most just
              look out of the 5 sense box they are stuck in and
              judge, compare and comment on what flows by, rehashing
              the past and fantasizing about the future, and never
              look within to the infinite and eternal that is
              ever present and available. And here's where
              meditation comes in. There is no better way to cease the
              filling up our our box with chatter and litter. And
              when the box is empty of trash, it can and will fill
              with the beauty of the universe. The gift that humans
              have been given is the freedom to ascend and transcend
              the trap that each sense and trying to make sense
              brings about. When we just (as St John said) "Let IT Be",
              and do no-thing, then we're really doing something.
              And sometimes what happens is pretty sharp!
              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 9, 2007
                Since I last posted pictures of the
                knives that I had a hand (actually 2
                hands) in making, there have been
                a dozen more that have appeared.
                They can be seen in pictures #84 to 112 at:
                http://tinyurl.com/54ma6
                I have no real idea how they came to be
                a part of this dream that pretends to be
                "my life", but when I look around, they
                seem solidly present. I have really grown
                to appreciate the fine beauty of their
                wood handles and the form they have taken
                in a way that is similar to the way I
                appreciate more traditional art work.
                Prior to taking part in this craft,
                knives were just knives and wood was
                just wood to me. I am now in awe
                of the amazing textures and designs
                that are in the woods and acknowledge
                the artist who created them as a master.
                But as a witness to my inner chatter,
                I see that the potential to criticize
                this great display of divine beauty
                is ever present. And I laugh, fascinated
                by the moronic commentary that would
                interrupt my contact with the gift I
                have been given in my ability to
                appreciate and "get off on" something
                so exquisite. So I tell my chatterer
                to be still and embrace the moment and
                then let it go. And then smile with
                the silence and emptiness that shouts
                with joy as it fills with bliss. Now
                that's some sharp knives!
                Message 7 of 27 , May 6, 2008
                  In the photo section, you will find additions
                  to the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking folder;
                  pictures 40, 41, 42, and 43. They show a
                  dagger that has a Damascus steel blade and an
                  Ironwood handle. I think you may agree with the
                  general feeling among knife makers that Ironwood
                  is the most beautiful wood, and Damascus is the
                  most beautiful type of steel. They both are
                  fine examples of why I think that nature provides
                  the most beautiful art works. While witnessing
                  the creation of this knife I was aware that what
                  needed to be done by my hands and eyes would be
                  conflicted if I let my emotions get involved, and
                  similarly I saw that mental chattering would be
                  distractive and not helpful. Once a method has
                  been programmed into our body and brain, it is best
                  to just let it happen. I'm always humbled when I
                  see the end result and always get further unable
                  to deny the reality that all that happens is "Thy
                  will be done" in action. And, that if we in our
                  arrogance think that we can "do" anything, it is
                  very common for the universe to demonstrate how
                  naive an attitude that is. For instance, can you
                  be 100% sure that you won't fall on your face when
                  you get up from reading this? Well, since I've rid
                  myself of thinking I can make knives and have
                  accepted that I can just be a tool for their coming
                  into being, I've fallen on my face much less often
                  when taking part in the knifemaking process. And I've
                  found that as St Martha says, "That's a good thing".
                • Aideen McKenna
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 6, 2008

                    Actually, she says “That’s a Good Thing”.  You can hear the capital letters when she says it.

                    Aideen

[...]

                    Checked by AVG.

                    Checked by AVG.

                    Message 9 of 27 , May 7, 2008
                      "Aideen McKenna" <aideenmck@...> wrote:

                      > Actually, she says "That's a Good Thing". You can hear the capital
                      letters
                      > when she says it.
                      >
                      > Aideen

                      Yo Aideen,
                      You're right - when she speaks, it's often in Caps.
                      A small coincidence is that when my wife read the
                      post she said that she tought all of the "Thy
                      will be done" quote should be in caps. I guess
                      all these Higher Power types command special attention!
                      Knifemaking

                      > In the photo section, you will find additions
                      > to the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking folder;
                      > pictures 40, 41, 42, and 43. They show a
                      > dagger that has a Damascus steel blade and an
                      > Ironwood handle. I think you may agree with the
                      > general feeling among knife makers that Ironwood
                      > is the most beautiful wood, and Damascus is the
                      > most beautiful type of steel. They both are
                      > fine examples of why I think that nature provides
                      > the most beautiful art works. While witnessing
                      > the creation of this knife I was aware that what
                      > needed to be done by my hands and eyes would be
                      > conflicted if I let my emotions get involved, and
                      > similarly I saw that mental chattering would be
                      > distractive and not helpful. Once a method has
                      > been programmed into our body and brain, it is best
                      > to just let it happen. I'm always humbled when I
                      > see the end result and always get further unable
                      > to deny the reality that all that happens is "Thy
                      > will be done" in action. And, that if we in our
                      > arrogance think that we can "do" anything, it is
                      > very common for the universe to demonstrate how
                      > naive an attitude that is. For instance, can you
                      > be 100% sure that you won't fall on your face when
                      > you get up from reading this? Well, since I've rid
                      > myself of thinking I can make knives and have
                      > accepted that I can just be a tool for their coming
                      > into being, I've fallen on my face much less often
                      > when taking part in the knifemaking process. And I've
                      > found that as St Martha says, "That's a good thing".
                      > Peace and blessings,
                      > Bob

                      > Checked by AVG.
                      5/06/08
                      > 5:17 PM

                      > Checked by AVG.
                      5/06/08

                      Message 10 of 27 , Aug 11, 2008
                        In the photo section, in the folder "Zen
                        and the Art of Knifemaking", you will
                        find a new knife that features Mammoth
                        tooth handles. As I was witnessing the
                        assembly of this knife taking place,
                        there was a unique feeling of an ancient
                        connection present. The obviousness of
                        handling a 30,000 year old object and
                        being extra careful to not mess it up
                        also brought about a special awareness
                        that is hard to label, but can perhaps be
                        represented by saying that the usual "just
                        witnessing and letting flow whatever may flow"
                        attitude had an extra effortless effort
                        energy added to it. I just saw an episode
                        of "American Dad" last night where the Dad
                        had souped up his car so he could drag
                        race with it (to impress his wife), and at one
                        point he hit a switch that ignited a nitro burst
                        that made the car blast off extra quickly.
                        And that's sort of how I felt during this
                        particular knife making session. It really
                        seemed to touch the semi-eternal nature of
                        Mother Earth. I can't wait to see what using
                        meteorite will feel like!
                        The pics are # 45 and 46. And to see many
                        more Zen and the Art of Knifemaking blades:
                        http://www.bobroseknives.com
                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 25, 2009
                          Once again I'll be displaying my knives,
                          and like what seems like just very few knife
                          makers do, talking about meditation. The show
                          is in Easton PA and will be held Sat and
                          Sun from 9 to 5. I expect to only be there
                          for Sat as there is an Eagles game Sunday and
                          I expect to be back home for it. After all,
                          I do try not to miss religious events, and
                          sometimes there are only 16 of them a year.

                          After the show we'll probably be going out to dinner
                          with several friends, so if you'll be in the area
                          please stop in and say "High!" and maybe join the
                          probably somewhat transcendental fun.

                          PS: You can see the knives at:
                          http://www.bobroseknives.com
                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 26, 2009

                            > Once again I'll be displaying my knives,
                            > and like what seems like just very few knife
                            > makers do, talking about meditation. The show
                            > is in Easton PA and will be held Sat and
                            > Sun from 9 to 5. I expect to only be there
                            > for Sat as there is an Eagles game Sunday and
                            > I expect to be back home for it. After all,
                            > I do try not to miss religious events, and
                            > sometimes there are only 16 of them a year.
                            >
                            > After the show we'll probably be going out to dinner
                            > with several friends, so if you'll be in the area
                            > please stop in and say "High!" and maybe join the
                            > probably somewhat transcendental fun.
                            >
                            > Peace and blessings,
                            > Bob
                            > PS: You can see the knives at:
                            > http://www.bobroseknives.com

                            Well, we just got back from the show and it
                            was very pleasant, fun and interesting. Nice
                            people, good conversation, lots of amazing
                            knives by some of the most talented makers
                            in the world. As is available in every moment,
                            lots of new in-sights and out-sights. I also
                            was pretty surprised to find right around the
                            corner quite a coincidence. There was the Belyea
                            Electric Supply Company, and just as Papajeff
                            deals with Transformation, they specialize
                            in Transformers. Yes, this incarnation is always
                            at least semi-interesting!
                            Peace and blesings,
                            Message 13 of 27 , Nov 20, 2009
                              The 2 latest knives that have appeared have
                              very ancient handle materials. One is from
                              mammoth tooth and is between 15,000 and
                              30,000 years old. The other is fossil coral
                              and is between 1.8 million and 230 million
                              years old.
                              As I worked with them,their antiquity radiated as
                              a sensation beyond just their appearance. Just as
                              when you enter a church or are at a holy place,
                              or in the company of a holy being, saint or
                              newborn, there was a feeling that was far from
                              the same old same old. I felt a connection to the
                              Earth and a unity with all life that has been and
                              is and will be her life's work. Humility and reverence
                              are the closest adjectives to describe the mood
                              that flew through, and still remains. And now the
                              beauty that for some reason was hidden within their
                              environments is now visible and to me is a
                              demonstration of the gifts of love from a sentient
                              universe that are available within and without.
                              I consider it a blessing to be able to spend moments
                              in the company of such simple yet so fantastic
                              creations.
                              PS: I am posting pictures of them in the Photo section
                              in the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking album.
                              Message 14 of 27 , Dec 9, 2011
                                This weekend I'll be displaying my knives
                                http://www.bobroseknives.com
                                at the Harrisburg PA Gun Show.
                                If you feel like sharing meditation concepts,
                                methods and experiences, I'll be glad to
                                spend time with you. This show is really unique
                                even for weapon-addicts. It's the only place I
                                know of where they not only sell weapons and
                                ammo, but where you can also buy and drink beer.
                                Talk about non-conduscive to meditation venues!
                                But in reality, it's a perfect place to put into
                                practice your non-distractability, keeping
                                calm in all situations, and awareness to the test.
                                So stop by and say hello. These days, it's actually
                                a safer environment than some college campuses, and
                                we may even find it to be a good opportunity to
                                evolve in consciousness.

                                Visitor Information
                                LOCATION
                                The show will be held in the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex & Expo Center, North Cameron and Maclay Streets, Harrisburg, PA.

                                DIRECTIONS

                                TRAVELING WEST ON THE PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE:
                                Take Exit 247. Travel north on PA-283, which merges with I-83. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                TRAVELING EAST ON PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE:
                                Take Exit 236. Travel north on Route 15 to 581 West. Travel west on 581 and merge onto I-81 North. Follow I-81 North across the Susquehanna River, and then take Exit 67 for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                FROM THE HARRISBURG INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT:
                                Head north on 441 to 283 North. Travel north on PA-283, which merges with I-83. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                FROM THE WEST SHORE/CARLISLE:
                                Take I-81 North to Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                FROM DOWNTOWN HARRISBURG:
                                Take Second Street north to the 2100 block and turn right onto Maclay Street. Follow Maclay Street east across the railroad bridge to the traffic light at the Farm Show Building. Turn left onto Cameron Street and travel north. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                FROM THE NORTH:
                                Take 11/15 South following the Susquehanna River to I-81. Follow I-81 North across the river and take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                FROM THE UPPER DAUPHIN AREA:
                                Take Route 147 South or Route 225 South to Route 322 (River Relief Route). Route 322 becomes Cameron Street after crossing over I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                FROM HERSHEY:
                                Take Route 322 West to I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                FROM LANCASTER:
                                Take 283 North towards Harrisburg to I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                FROM YORK:
                                Take I-83 North across the Susquehanna River. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                FROM LEBANON:
                                Take I-81 South towards Harrisburg. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                FROM PROGRESS AVE EXIT OFF 81N:
                                Take Exit 69. Merge right with Progress Avenue Traffic. Turn right onto Elmerton Avenue at traffic light. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                FROM PROGRESS AVE EXIT OFF 81S:
                                Take Exit 69. Turn right at traffic light onto Progress Avenue. At second traffic light turn right onto Elmerton Avenue. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.
                                Message 15 of 27 , May 4, 2012
                                  Once again, I'll be displaying my knives at a gun
                                  show this weekend. It's at the Philly Convention Center
                                  in Oaks PA. Here's the URL for info.
                                  http://www.eaglearms.com/Eaglearmsproductionfullpage.html
                                  The last show we were at was one of the "highest" ones we've
                                  attended. We had the pleasure of sharing meditation concepts
                                  and techniques with several of our members who were there,
                                  and it was a very nice experiential demo of transcending
                                  what would normally be a semi-insane environment. Fun too!

                                  One of the surprises was when we got to interact with a
                                  great 11 year old kid who's father is one of the real
                                  masters of martial arts. This guy is so tough he wears
                                  a kilt to a gun show and nobody would dream of making fun
                                  of him. And yet he has a wisdom and righteousness that is
                                  all too rare. Glad to say that his son seems to be going
                                  right along the same path.

                                  Anyway, if you're in the area, please stop by and say hello.
                                  If you'd like to see some of the newest knives I've made,
                                  and that will be on display, they're at the bottom of the
                                  web page here: http://www.bobroseknives.com

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Sep 7, 2012
                                    I'll be displaying my knives this Sat and Sun at
                                    the gun show at the Harrisburg PA Farm Show Complex and
                                    Expo Center 2300 North Cameron Street Harrisburg, PA 17110
                                    I've enjoyed meeting and sharing time and experiences
                                    with several of our members there in past shows and
                                    look forward to that doing this again. Semi-interesting
                                    venue - 800 tables of weapons and ammo... and they
                                    serve beer!?!?!?
                                    Relative to knife-making, I've been using amazing new materials
                                    for the handles on my most recent knives and wonder at
                                    the beauty of these man-made high-tech products.
                                    They're so nice that one may not even notice the
                                    hardly expert level my knife skills demonstrate. It's
                                    kind of analogous to how having a loving personality can
                                    make you attractive even if visually you're no Brad
                                    or Angelina. These knives can be seen at the bottom of
                                    my knife site at: http://www.bobroseknives.com
                                    Anyway, if you do come, please don't wear some other
                                    teams shirts than the Eagles. You know that this could
                                    become a distraction from sharing meditation concepts
                                    and methods as I might go off on rants about football:)
                                    Hope to see you soon!
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Sep 9, 2012
                                      OK, by semi-popular request, here's a brief report of the
                                      gun show. One of the most interesting things was that a forum
                                      member and a friend of his have started to make knives
                                      and seemingly are walking a similar path as I am relative
                                      to finding it at times to precede interesting, pleasant, and
                                      unusually informative meditative experiences...
                                      IE: They report entering a focus of attention so intense and
                                      yet so effortless that a shift in consciousness takes place
                                      that they sort of defined as a transcendent level of non-dual
                                      attention where one's individual identity melts away and
                                      a new awakening reveals an infinite unification with what
                                      Gurdjieff labeled "All and Everything". In any event, they
                                      still have all their fingers and other body parts, and that
                                      itself is a great result of clear meditative focus while
                                      using very powerful and potentially dangerous power tools.
                                      BTW, as a bonus, their knives looked very good and
                                      should prove highly functional. And just like me they report
                                      being surprised at having nice knives in their hands appear
                                      almost magically when the sparks, smoke, smells, sounds and
                                      heat subside.
                                      Anyway, thanks to those who came out and shared their
                                      wisdom and humor. Much appreciated!

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Dec 14, 2012
                                        Once again, I'll be displaying my knives and sharing
                                        meditation concepts and techniques (the usual combination
                                        for a meditation teacher:) at the Philly Gun Show in Oaks PA
                                        this weekend, Friday Dec 14 from 4PM to 8PM, Sat 9AM to 5PM, and
                                        Sun 9AM to 4PM. Here's where you can get info and a discount coupon:
                                        http://www.eaglearmsgunshows.com/oaks-gun-show-philadelphia-expo-center.html
                                        There will be about 1,000 tables full of weapons, ammo, and just
                                        about anything you can think of that brings about violence and
                                        destruction, as well as thousands of people who are anxious to buy
                                        these items. And there will also be my table where consciousness
                                        evolving methods will be shared (as well as complaining about the
                                        Eagles). Many of the knives I have made will be available and with
                                        the holidays coming, I expect lots of activity that interrupts our
                                        "high" conversations. But this is all part of what life is about...
                                        and maintaining a meditative mode in active as well as in passive situations is what a meditative practice should include. And when
                                        someone approaches you carrying a machine gun, and has ammo around
                                        their neck, to discus how best to use a certain knife, or whatever else is making their mind chatter, it's certainly an excellent opportunity to witness your own chatter, and to apply Self
                                        control and maintain your serenity, or to see just when and
                                        how you lose it (which might be a more valuable benefit).
                                        So it is actually an excellent environment for learning about and experiencing meditation in real life. Hope to see you there!
                                        BTW, here's where you can see my knives:
                                        http://www.bobroseknives.com
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Dec 16, 2012
                                          Well, this weekend I spent displaying knives I've made at
                                          the Philly Gun Show. 1200 tables full of weapons and their
                                          accoutrements and thousands of people there to buy them.
                                          Much discussion about the duality of "guns don't kill people,
                                          people do" and "if there weren't guns available, there wouldn't
                                          be so many killings" Of course there were local TV crews there filming the goings on and promising to be "fair" in their
                                          reporting as they focused the cameras on assault rifles and
                                          other semi and full automatic weapons. This will be just a
                                          small part of the ongoing and now top news discussion.

                                          In between actually selling some knives, I spent time
                                          discussing meditation with people and even conducted some
                                          mindfulness exercises semi-maintaining a Witnessing
                                          perspective on whatever was flowing by moment to (what seemed
                                          like) another moment. And as is common when in a wordless
                                          meditative mode, words appear that (right or wrong) point to
                                          "an answer", and here are some that flowed by...

                                          I'm guessing that just as there are hundreds of millions of
                                          words available to us, and they don't seem to solve anything,
                                          there being hundreds of millions of guns and rifles right now
                                          in the USA, and they aren't solving anything either, maybe
                                          just being conscious is the only real "problem solver".
                                          As Gurdjieff put it...
                                          "Do not be affected by externals. In themselves they are
                                          harmless; it is we who allow ourselves to be hurt by them."

                                          (the above is a para-phrase of a post on the Gene's Gulag
                                          forum)