How long has everyone been practicing meditation for?

  • ryu.anime
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 13, 2006
      I am new to the group. I do apologize to the old posts that I
      replied to but I am hoping that I can help others out and continue to
      learn myself from everyone no matter new, old, or great. I have
      practiced several meditations for 20 years. I am still trying to
      learn other types of meditations to broaden my horizons. I am
      currently working on Taiji, QiGong, and Yoga of course.

      KH
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 6, 2006
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, ryu.anime
        <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > > I am new to the group. I do apologize to the old posts that I
        > > replied to but I am hoping that I can help others out and continue to
        > > learn myself from everyone no matter new, old, or great. I have
        > > practiced several meditations for 20 years. I am still trying to
        > > learn other types of meditations to broaden my horizons. I am
        > > currently working on Taiji, QiGong, and Yoga of course.
        > >
        > > KH

        I've been practicing for less than a year. Working with my breathing,
        and trying to lessen the discursiveness of my mind is challenging, but
        I think I've already experienced some initial reductions in my daily
        stress level. Anyway, I'm new to this forum, and it was nice to read
        your note. I hope this is a good response to your question.

        -KC
      • Marc Moss
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 6, 2006
          Dear KH,

          I heard a terrific teacher say once "different wells,
          same source." That took a number of years to "accept".
          But, it's true. Breathing meditation is a terrific
          start. Best though if you have a teacher, or guru that
          can guide you according to your needs. My perfect
          lama, Geshe Jinpa Sonam has given me tremendous
          guidance since I took vows from him. His love and
          compassion and tireless joy in teaching gives me not
          only invaluable advice but a role model. I dedicate my
          practice to not only being able to fulfill his
          teachings, but to one day attain his wonderful state.

          Finding a teacher is valuable beyond words. The
          hardest part is being able to practice what they've
          taught you. But, if you have taken vows, those lessons
          will either be gentle to learn and apply or they'll
          get louder and louder every time they present
          themselves to you.

          Finding a guru is no easy task. You don't just look in
          the yellow pages for the closest Buddhist temple and
          show up on their step saying "Um, yes, I'm looking for
          a Guru." Try finding a teacher in your area where you
          can attend their teachings and go, go, go to them. If
          you can afford the travel, go where there is a
          qualified teacher. If you want information on finding
          a qualified teacher, Alexander Berzin has terrific
          information on his website. But, Pabongka Rinpoche has
          detailed information in his Liberation in the Palm of
          Your Hand. (Lam Rim rnam gro lag bcang)

          I hope my information has been of assistance to you or
          anyone else reading this post.

          Marc Preston Moss
          (Sonam Tsering)

          as long as space remains, as long as living beings remain, until then - may I too remain to dispel the sufferings of the world. - Shantideva (Buddhist saint)

          My Website if this doesn't work, try sonamtseringla.tripod.com

          Sponsored Link

          Degrees online in as fast as 1 Yr - MBA, Bachelor's, Master's, Associate
          Click now to apply http://yahoo.degrees.info
        • ryu.anime
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 11, 2006
            KC,

            Thank you for your response. I feel that breathing is the best way
            to begin meditation. I find it very calming and rejuvenating too. I
            started learning more about Zen meditation just recently. It has
            opened up many new paths for me, especially training the mind on one
            subject. Have you tried Zen? I learned that you can do more than just
            one type of meditation or several it all depends on what you feel.

            KH

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 11, 2006
              KH and all,
              One of the best meditations of them all deals with
              breathing in as close a way as possible. It may
              also have been the very first meditation. Here is the
              Soham technique (from our site, Meditation Station
              ( http://www.meditationsociety.com/week39.html ) Enjoy!

              The Bible tells us that in the beginning there
              was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the
              Word was God. But in the beginning, there were
              no words, no languages, or even sounds of humans
              or animals. So what was the Word that was in the
              beginning. This has been a great mystery, but like
              the solution to many mysteries, the answer has
              been right under our nose all along. And that is Soham.

              Soham is referred to as the "Mahamantra", the
              Greatest Mantra, and is considered along with Om
              to be the most powerful of all techniques. This
              was the first meditation technique, both in
              antiquity and in our own lives. The ancient
              cavemen, before they had invented language or
              fire, would sit in their dark caves and have
              nothing else to focus on but the sound of their
              breath. Similarly, the first sound we heard when
              we were in our mothers' womb was the sound of her
              breath, and this sound has been with us ever since
              we drew our first breath. It negates the need to
              rely on any of the words of the languages of the
              world to use as a mantra. It has brought people to
              transcendence of worldly limitations from time
              immemorial and continues to do so. It can be done
              even while driving, working, and doing other acts
              of daily life and thereby offers a continuous
              experience of being in the present. This is a great
              present, because Reality takes place now, in the
              present. Soham is a wonder-full meditation technique
              and I hope will bring you the experience of Knowledge,
              Consciousness, and Bliss that is your birthright.

              In the Bible, when God was asked what his name is,
              He answered " I Am That I Am'. In Sanskrit, the
              most ancient of languages, the sound of the inhalation
              is termed So, and the exhalation is Ham. Combined,
              the word Soham is translated as "I Am He/That". So,
              whenever you are doing this technique, you are calling
              on God. Every breath thus becomes a prayer and adoration.

              The Soham Meditation Technique

              At the time and in the place where you feel most
              comfortable, place your body in the position that
              you have found to be the most beneficial for
              meditation. Close your eyes. Close your ears by
              putting your thumbs in them, or by using earplugs.
              This will intensify the sound of your breath while
              diminishing the distractions that sight and sound
              bring. Command your mind to be silent, your emotions
              to be calm, and your body to stay relaxed. Focus on
              the sound of your breath coming in. Associate it with
              the word So. As your breath leaves, listen to the
              sound and associate it with the word Ham. To pronounce
              So and Ham correctly, listen to how they sound. As with
              most pranayama (breathing techniques), Soham is done
              either in 3 cycles of 12 or 12 cycles of 12. One
              inhalation and one exhalation are one respiration.
              12 respirations are one cycle. For those just starting
              to use this technique, it is usual to silently say the
              word So with each inhalation and the word Ham with each
              exhale. When you are focused consistently, consciously,
              you will flow into simply listening to the sound of
              Soham. Soham is by far the easiest meditation. It comes
              to all living creatures without any effort. And yet it is
              the deepest possible technique, as it presents the
              opportunity to meditate on the great mystery of life
              and the life-giver itself.

              No matter how we have acted and reacted, with each
              breath we are forgiven for our so-called sins and
              rewarded with another breath, another heartbeat,
              and another moment of life to cherish. No act of
              will on our part can give us breath. Literally, we
              are graced with this gift of life from a power greater
              than ourselves. A corpse has every bone, every organ,
              and every bodily system that we have, and yet it
              doesn't have life or healing energy filling every
              cell with every breath, as we have. As you merge more
              and more with Soham, you surrender your reactivity to
              your thoughts, emotions, and sensory impressions.
              These are all just heavy earth-bound suffering-causing
              limitations. The divine energy of Soham is limitless
              heavenly love and light. Witness, surrender all effort,
              and fill with this most precious gift of Grace.