Zen and the Art of Knifemaking

    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 24 6:01 PM
      There is a new picture (#9) in the Photo
      section titled Zen and the Art of Knifemaking.
      It shows 10 blades ready to be heat treated,
      and then to have guards and handles put on
      them. It has taken months to get them to be
      as they now are from their original state of
      solid steel bars. From the time the first one
      was finished to the time the last one was
      done, I found many things about knifemaking
      that were unknown to me at the start. This
      led me to redoing the way that the first one
      was constructed, and now it should be very
      much more likely to last years longer in heavy
      use than it would have before. This came only
      by persevering in my quest to gain greater
      proficiency in this craft. This was very
      similar to the way I see people develop in
      their meditation practice. At first we may have
      little knowledge of how, where, and when to do
      what. But soon we get some hold on the "how-to",
      and all the rest, and have some experiences that
      bring us to greater understanding, and eventually
      this leads us to be able to fine tune our practice.
      And we become more functional for years after. And
      so, I suggest that you persevere in this most
      beneficial craft.
    • corkey galloway

        Message 3 of 27 , Oct 13, 2006
          There are 2 new pictures in the Photo
          section titled Zen and the Art of
          Knifemaking (#10 and 11) that are of
          the latest knife to appear. This one
          is a Japanese style kitchen knife that
          Bette, my wife, will be using to cut
          up veggies. It's the 1st one that I have
          made for a specific use and the first
          that I have made for her, so I had
          a very definite intention when I started
          its construction.
          I had a nice bar of damascus steel to use
          and also a beautiful block of Ironwood to
          use for the handle. Motivated by wanting
          to do something good enough for Bette,
          who always has done everything for me
          so very well, and also wanting to do
          justice to the fine materials I had
          to work with, I witnessed myself having
          a special feeling as I went about the
          different steps that are involved in knife
          making. I would describe this as "having an
          aim" more than simply desiring something.
          This aim, the intention, the gratitude for
          the opportunity to (in a very small way)
          "repay" Bette, gave my actions an energy that
          carried with it an easier than usual flow
          that brought this knife to birth without
          "me" seeming to be there with the usual
          inner chatter that I witness so often as
          I try to "do" things. No judging, no ongoing
          commentary, just movements with a "dedication"
          that was palpable. I had no feeling at all that
          "I" was doing anything. Then, a knife was there.
          It's 11 1/2" long, 2 1/4" wide, and has a brass
          and nickle silver mosaic pin and a nickle silver
          bolster. The 6 1/2" blade has a hollow grind and
          is very thin and sharp. I don't know if there is
          any of me in this knife, but I'm sure there is a
          lot of Bette and lots of gratitude too.
        • kurt_kurosawa
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 5, 2006
            I sent a post but I don't know where (your account is set up not to
            receive e-mail), so at the risk of repeating myself and generally
            being totally off-topic:

            - About the smell, it pays to wear a respirator. The particulates in
            the air can be themselves harmful, little sharp shards of steel that
            you don't want moving and grooving in your lungs when you cough.
            Then there's the chemical aspect, e.g. cocobolo is toxic and other
            natural materials may be allergens. And since you're working with
            bone from (presumably) overseas, it would be hard to completely
            discount the possibility of inhaling microorganisms/spores.

            - I see you're using 1095, a very good steel, but if you're getting
            a little "boomerang" in the quench, you might want to give O-1 a
            stab (so to speak). I love O-1, so forgiving and can be
            differentially drawn. For the quench, get a coffee can full of auto
            tranny fluid, heat it to 125 F (by sticking a bar of hot steel and a
            candy thermometer in it).

            - 5160 is cheaper; it's (as the name says) nominally 0.60% carbon
            but it also has 0.2% silicon and 0.7% chromium. A little tougher and
            can be hardened up near the 60s. I'm in the Tidewater Virginia area
            and if you live nearby (you don't want to pay shipping) I have a few
            pounds (maybe something like 30 feet in 3 or 3.5 foot lengths) of
            1/4 x 1" 5160 I can give you free.

            Best, Kurt

            PS my favorite meditational incense is sweet coal smoke, see if the
            library has books by Alexander Weygers, he explains how to make your
            own forge from a coffee can and anvil from a piece of railroad
            track, and gives instruction on beating hot steel.
            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 5, 2006
              Yo Kurt,
              Thanks for all the great advise. I think you have
              well demonstrated one of the most surprising
              things I have found out about in the past 2 years,
              and that is that the community of knifemakers is
              one of the most generous in freely sharing their
              knowledge, and more so than virtually any other group
              I have been involved with. And unfortunately, that
              includes many groups who are supposedly dedicated
              to seeking "Truth". But, you have also found one of
              the truly selfless people in the...shall we call it
              ... "Enlightenment Community", and that is Sandeep.
              For much more of his sharing, check out his excellent
              web site: http://www.the-covenant.net/
              Now for some Zen and the Art of Knifemaking talk:
              I have just posted the latest knife that has brought
              together steel, wood, and brass to produce a tool that
              should last for much longer than the physical human
              body that was involved in its arising. It can be seen
              in photo's #13 and 14. 1095 steel again for the 12 3/4"
              blade and 17 1/2" total length. Much like a regular
              practice of meditation fills one up with a stable
              spiritual energy, the beautiful buckeye burl wood has
              been through a process called stabilization that has
              strenghtened it and will keep it from warping and
              losing its functional ability for years to come. It's
              hand formed brass guard will protect the users hands
              just as faith and prayer are said to do. I do intend
              to use other types of steel in the future as it is my
              nature to want to experiment with many ways to do the
              same thing (as can be seen by the dozens of different
              meditation techniques on our web site, Meditation Station
              http://www.meditationsociety.com ). And if I lived closer
              I would certainly take you up on your kind offer of steel,
              but I live in the Lancaster area, just outside Philly.
              As for using proper respiratory safety equiptment, you are
              100% correct. And I do. Just as we should have an environment
              that is free from negative stressors when we meditate,
              every place we are in should be free from toxicity.
              It was after the fact that I found my work area
              filled with the (potentially dangerous) stink
              of odors that grinding bone had released. And that was
              with using an air cleansing machine! And just like it may take
              quite a while for the negative mental, emotional and physical
              things we begin with to be cleansed with our meditative
              practice, it took several days of keeping the doors open
              and the air filtering going to get the air clean again.
              In any event, I've rattled on perhaps too much.
              Thanks again for sharing.

              snip

              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 21, 2006
                The photo section now has 2 new pictures
                in the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking
                albums (pics 15 and 16). The first is
                a 12 1/2" long maple burl handled knife
                with a brass guard and a 1095 steel blade.
                The second is 19 3/4" long and has a
                beadblasted 1095 steel blade, and a brass
                and steel guard with a buckeye burl handle.
                I again found the focusing that takes place
                during the construction process brings about
                an excellent "high". Unlike tossing around
                concepts and words to make some point, you
                must be very focused and one-pointed when
                working with tools, machines, and sharp things,
                or some of the points you make can quickly end
                up in you. And there is no doubt that the more
                one practices, the better one gets at IT.

                When done working on any specific craft or task,
                the intense inner and outer focus that was idealy
                used during the creative process need not end just
                because you leave your workshop, as the whole world is
                your real working environment, and perfect attention in
                every moment is always appropriate...and a great "high".
                Message 7 of 27 , May 29, 2007
                  In the Photos section, in the Zen and
                  the Art of Knifemaking album, pictures
                  29, 30, 31, 32, and 33 show a few of the
                  newest knives to appear. They once were
                  just steel, brass, nickle-silver, and
                  exotic woods, and now they are tools that
                  can be expected to last far longer than
                  the collection of atomic and pre-atomic
                  materials that held them and attended
                  to their arrival. "I" did not will them into
                  existence or do much else but serve as
                  a vehicle of their transport from one form
                  to another. It's also a time when different
                  labels can be attached to them, but will
                  that in any way help or prevent their use?
                  Of course, it can be said and seen by some
                  that originally they were just other
                  forms of atomic and pre-atomic material
                  that Mother Earth, or who/whatever caused
                  to come together. And now can't we say if
                  not see that that has again happened? Can
                  I/we really say in honesty "I did that!"?
                  The same collection of flesh and bones and
                  emotion and mentation producing material
                  can be pointed to in one way as "doing", but in reality
                  aren't thoughts, emotions, and bodily activity
                  just things that happen to the neurology of
                  the physical body that we reside in for a given
                  moment. And when that body is asleep, doesn't
                  mental, emotional, and physical activity cease
                  occurring? Your neuro-system is on Pause. But
                  the Earth isn't, and the Solar System isn't,
                  and the Milky Way Galaxy isn't, and our local
                  Galactic Cluster isn't, and our Super Galactic Cluster
                  isn't, and this and other universes aren't on Pause.
                  And don't their action and interaction "count"?
                  And yet we claim to be able to make things happen!
                  Even if we are awake, can we assert for sure
                  that we won't trip on our face when we get up from
                  reading this? And yet we claim we have "will".
                  And "self-control". And "can do". Isn't that hilarious!
                  But there is one thing we can do and that is to
                  witness our life as it takes place. We have been
                  given this freedom, but it is the rare wo/man that
                  takes advantage of this great Grace. And most just
                  look out of the 5 sense box they are stuck in and
                  judge, compare and comment on what flows by, rehashing
                  the past and fantasizing about the future, and never
                  look within to the infinite and eternal that is
                  ever present and available. And here's where
                  meditation comes in. There is no better way to cease the
                  filling up our our box with chatter and litter. And
                  when the box is empty of trash, it can and will fill
                  with the beauty of the universe. The gift that humans
                  have been given is the freedom to ascend and transcend
                  the trap that each sense and trying to make sense
                  brings about. When we just (as St John said) "Let IT Be",
                  and do no-thing, then we're really doing something.
                  And sometimes what happens is pretty sharp!
                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 9, 2007
                    Since I last posted pictures of the
                    knives that I had a hand (actually 2
                    hands) in making, there have been
                    a dozen more that have appeared.
                    They can be seen in pictures #84 to 112 at:
                    http://tinyurl.com/54ma6
                    I have no real idea how they came to be
                    a part of this dream that pretends to be
                    "my life", but when I look around, they
                    seem solidly present. I have really grown
                    to appreciate the fine beauty of their
                    wood handles and the form they have taken
                    in a way that is similar to the way I
                    appreciate more traditional art work.
                    Prior to taking part in this craft,
                    knives were just knives and wood was
                    just wood to me. I am now in awe
                    of the amazing textures and designs
                    that are in the woods and acknowledge
                    the artist who created them as a master.
                    But as a witness to my inner chatter,
                    I see that the potential to criticize
                    this great display of divine beauty
                    is ever present. And I laugh, fascinated
                    by the moronic commentary that would
                    interrupt my contact with the gift I
                    have been given in my ability to
                    appreciate and "get off on" something
                    so exquisite. So I tell my chatterer
                    to be still and embrace the moment and
                    then let it go. And then smile with
                    the silence and emptiness that shouts
                    with joy as it fills with bliss. Now
                    that's some sharp knives!
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 6, 2008
                      In the photo section, you will find additions
                      to the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking folder;
                      pictures 40, 41, 42, and 43. They show a
                      dagger that has a Damascus steel blade and an
                      Ironwood handle. I think you may agree with the
                      general feeling among knife makers that Ironwood
                      is the most beautiful wood, and Damascus is the
                      most beautiful type of steel. They both are
                      fine examples of why I think that nature provides
                      the most beautiful art works. While witnessing
                      the creation of this knife I was aware that what
                      needed to be done by my hands and eyes would be
                      conflicted if I let my emotions get involved, and
                      similarly I saw that mental chattering would be
                      distractive and not helpful. Once a method has
                      been programmed into our body and brain, it is best
                      to just let it happen. I'm always humbled when I
                      see the end result and always get further unable
                      to deny the reality that all that happens is "Thy
                      will be done" in action. And, that if we in our
                      arrogance think that we can "do" anything, it is
                      very common for the universe to demonstrate how
                      naive an attitude that is. For instance, can you
                      be 100% sure that you won't fall on your face when
                      you get up from reading this? Well, since I've rid
                      myself of thinking I can make knives and have
                      accepted that I can just be a tool for their coming
                      into being, I've fallen on my face much less often
                      when taking part in the knifemaking process. And I've
                      found that as St Martha says, "That's a good thing".
                    • Aideen McKenna
                      Message 10 of 27 , May 6, 2008

                        Actually, she says “That’s a Good Thing”.  You can hear the capital letters when she says it.

                        Aideen

[...]

                        Checked by AVG.

                        Checked by AVG.

                        Message 11 of 27 , May 7, 2008
                          "Aideen McKenna" <aideenmck@...> wrote:

                          > Actually, she says "That's a Good Thing". You can hear the capital
                          letters
                          > when she says it.
                          >
                          > Aideen

                          Yo Aideen,
                          You're right - when she speaks, it's often in Caps.
                          A small coincidence is that when my wife read the
                          post she said that she tought all of the "Thy
                          will be done" quote should be in caps. I guess
                          all these Higher Power types command special attention!
                          Knifemaking

                          > In the photo section, you will find additions
                          > to the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking folder;
                          > pictures 40, 41, 42, and 43. They show a
                          > dagger that has a Damascus steel blade and an
                          > Ironwood handle. I think you may agree with the
                          > general feeling among knife makers that Ironwood
                          > is the most beautiful wood, and Damascus is the
                          > most beautiful type of steel. They both are
                          > fine examples of why I think that nature provides
                          > the most beautiful art works. While witnessing
                          > the creation of this knife I was aware that what
                          > needed to be done by my hands and eyes would be
                          > conflicted if I let my emotions get involved, and
                          > similarly I saw that mental chattering would be
                          > distractive and not helpful. Once a method has
                          > been programmed into our body and brain, it is best
                          > to just let it happen. I'm always humbled when I
                          > see the end result and always get further unable
                          > to deny the reality that all that happens is "Thy
                          > will be done" in action. And, that if we in our
                          > arrogance think that we can "do" anything, it is
                          > very common for the universe to demonstrate how
                          > naive an attitude that is. For instance, can you
                          > be 100% sure that you won't fall on your face when
                          > you get up from reading this? Well, since I've rid
                          > myself of thinking I can make knives and have
                          > accepted that I can just be a tool for their coming
                          > into being, I've fallen on my face much less often
                          > when taking part in the knifemaking process. And I've
                          > found that as St Martha says, "That's a good thing".
                          > Peace and blessings,
                          > Bob

                          > Checked by AVG.
                          5/06/08
                          > 5:17 PM

                          > Checked by AVG.
                          5/06/08

                          Message 12 of 27 , Aug 11, 2008
                            In the photo section, in the folder "Zen
                            and the Art of Knifemaking", you will
                            find a new knife that features Mammoth
                            tooth handles. As I was witnessing the
                            assembly of this knife taking place,
                            there was a unique feeling of an ancient
                            connection present. The obviousness of
                            handling a 30,000 year old object and
                            being extra careful to not mess it up
                            also brought about a special awareness
                            that is hard to label, but can perhaps be
                            represented by saying that the usual "just
                            witnessing and letting flow whatever may flow"
                            attitude had an extra effortless effort
                            energy added to it. I just saw an episode
                            of "American Dad" last night where the Dad
                            had souped up his car so he could drag
                            race with it (to impress his wife), and at one
                            point he hit a switch that ignited a nitro burst
                            that made the car blast off extra quickly.
                            And that's sort of how I felt during this
                            particular knife making session. It really
                            seemed to touch the semi-eternal nature of
                            Mother Earth. I can't wait to see what using
                            meteorite will feel like!
                            The pics are # 45 and 46. And to see many
                            more Zen and the Art of Knifemaking blades:
                            http://www.bobroseknives.com
                            Message 13 of 27 , Sep 25 6:44 PM
                              Once again I'll be displaying my knives,
                              and like what seems like just very few knife
                              makers do, talking about meditation. The show
                              is in Easton PA and will be held Sat and
                              Sun from 9 to 5. I expect to only be there
                              for Sat as there is an Eagles game Sunday and
                              I expect to be back home for it. After all,
                              I do try not to miss religious events, and
                              sometimes there are only 16 of them a year.

                              After the show we'll probably be going out to dinner
                              with several friends, so if you'll be in the area
                              please stop in and say "High!" and maybe join the
                              probably somewhat transcendental fun.

                              PS: You can see the knives at:
                              http://www.bobroseknives.com
                              Message 14 of 27 , Sep 26 4:10 PM

                                > Once again I'll be displaying my knives,
                                > and like what seems like just very few knife
                                > makers do, talking about meditation. The show
                                > is in Easton PA and will be held Sat and
                                > Sun from 9 to 5. I expect to only be there
                                > for Sat as there is an Eagles game Sunday and
                                > I expect to be back home for it. After all,
                                > I do try not to miss religious events, and
                                > sometimes there are only 16 of them a year.
                                >
                                > After the show we'll probably be going out to dinner
                                > with several friends, so if you'll be in the area
                                > please stop in and say "High!" and maybe join the
                                > probably somewhat transcendental fun.
                                >
                                > Peace and blessings,
                                > Bob
                                > PS: You can see the knives at:
                                > http://www.bobroseknives.com

                                Well, we just got back from the show and it
                                was very pleasant, fun and interesting. Nice
                                people, good conversation, lots of amazing
                                knives by some of the most talented makers
                                in the world. As is available in every moment,
                                lots of new in-sights and out-sights. I also
                                was pretty surprised to find right around the
                                corner quite a coincidence. There was the Belyea
                                Electric Supply Company, and just as Papajeff
                                deals with Transformation, they specialize
                                in Transformers. Yes, this incarnation is always
                                at least semi-interesting!
                                Peace and blesings,
                                Message 15 of 27 , Nov 20, 2009
                                  The 2 latest knives that have appeared have
                                  very ancient handle materials. One is from
                                  mammoth tooth and is between 15,000 and
                                  30,000 years old. The other is fossil coral
                                  and is between 1.8 million and 230 million
                                  years old.
                                  As I worked with them,their antiquity radiated as
                                  a sensation beyond just their appearance. Just as
                                  when you enter a church or are at a holy place,
                                  or in the company of a holy being, saint or
                                  newborn, there was a feeling that was far from
                                  the same old same old. I felt a connection to the
                                  Earth and a unity with all life that has been and
                                  is and will be her life's work. Humility and reverence
                                  are the closest adjectives to describe the mood
                                  that flew through, and still remains. And now the
                                  beauty that for some reason was hidden within their
                                  environments is now visible and to me is a
                                  demonstration of the gifts of love from a sentient
                                  universe that are available within and without.
                                  I consider it a blessing to be able to spend moments
                                  in the company of such simple yet so fantastic
                                  creations.
                                  PS: I am posting pictures of them in the Photo section
                                  in the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking album.
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Dec 9, 2011
                                    This weekend I'll be displaying my knives
                                    http://www.bobroseknives.com
                                    at the Harrisburg PA Gun Show.
                                    If you feel like sharing meditation concepts,
                                    methods and experiences, I'll be glad to
                                    spend time with you. This show is really unique
                                    even for weapon-addicts. It's the only place I
                                    know of where they not only sell weapons and
                                    ammo, but where you can also buy and drink beer.
                                    Talk about non-conduscive to meditation venues!
                                    But in reality, it's a perfect place to put into
                                    practice your non-distractability, keeping
                                    calm in all situations, and awareness to the test.
                                    So stop by and say hello. These days, it's actually
                                    a safer environment than some college campuses, and
                                    we may even find it to be a good opportunity to
                                    evolve in consciousness.

                                    Visitor Information
                                    LOCATION
                                    The show will be held in the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex & Expo Center, North Cameron and Maclay Streets, Harrisburg, PA.

                                    DIRECTIONS

                                    TRAVELING WEST ON THE PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE:
                                    Take Exit 247. Travel north on PA-283, which merges with I-83. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                    TRAVELING EAST ON PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE:
                                    Take Exit 236. Travel north on Route 15 to 581 West. Travel west on 581 and merge onto I-81 North. Follow I-81 North across the Susquehanna River, and then take Exit 67 for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                    FROM THE HARRISBURG INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT:
                                    Head north on 441 to 283 North. Travel north on PA-283, which merges with I-83. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                    FROM THE WEST SHORE/CARLISLE:
                                    Take I-81 North to Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                    FROM DOWNTOWN HARRISBURG:
                                    Take Second Street north to the 2100 block and turn right onto Maclay Street. Follow Maclay Street east across the railroad bridge to the traffic light at the Farm Show Building. Turn left onto Cameron Street and travel north. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                    FROM THE NORTH:
                                    Take 11/15 South following the Susquehanna River to I-81. Follow I-81 North across the river and take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                    FROM THE UPPER DAUPHIN AREA:
                                    Take Route 147 South or Route 225 South to Route 322 (River Relief Route). Route 322 becomes Cameron Street after crossing over I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                    FROM HERSHEY:
                                    Take Route 322 West to I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                    FROM LANCASTER:
                                    Take 283 North towards Harrisburg to I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                    FROM YORK:
                                    Take I-83 North across the Susquehanna River. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                    FROM LEBANON:
                                    Take I-81 South towards Harrisburg. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                    FROM PROGRESS AVE EXIT OFF 81N:
                                    Take Exit 69. Merge right with Progress Avenue Traffic. Turn right onto Elmerton Avenue at traffic light. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                    FROM PROGRESS AVE EXIT OFF 81S:
                                    Take Exit 69. Turn right at traffic light onto Progress Avenue. At second traffic light turn right onto Elmerton Avenue. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.
                                    Message 17 of 27 , May 4, 2012
                                      Once again, I'll be displaying my knives at a gun
                                      show this weekend. It's at the Philly Convention Center
                                      in Oaks PA. Here's the URL for info.
                                      http://www.eaglearms.com/Eaglearmsproductionfullpage.html
                                      The last show we were at was one of the "highest" ones we've
                                      attended. We had the pleasure of sharing meditation concepts
                                      and techniques with several of our members who were there,
                                      and it was a very nice experiential demo of transcending
                                      what would normally be a semi-insane environment. Fun too!

                                      One of the surprises was when we got to interact with a
                                      great 11 year old kid who's father is one of the real
                                      masters of martial arts. This guy is so tough he wears
                                      a kilt to a gun show and nobody would dream of making fun
                                      of him. And yet he has a wisdom and righteousness that is
                                      all too rare. Glad to say that his son seems to be going
                                      right along the same path.

                                      Anyway, if you're in the area, please stop by and say hello.
                                      If you'd like to see some of the newest knives I've made,
                                      and that will be on display, they're at the bottom of the
                                      web page here: http://www.bobroseknives.com

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Sep 7 8:59 AM
                                        I'll be displaying my knives this Sat and Sun at
                                        the gun show at the Harrisburg PA Farm Show Complex and
                                        Expo Center 2300 North Cameron Street Harrisburg, PA 17110
                                        I've enjoyed meeting and sharing time and experiences
                                        with several of our members there in past shows and
                                        look forward to that doing this again. Semi-interesting
                                        venue - 800 tables of weapons and ammo... and they
                                        serve beer!?!?!?
                                        Relative to knife-making, I've been using amazing new materials
                                        for the handles on my most recent knives and wonder at
                                        the beauty of these man-made high-tech products.
                                        They're so nice that one may not even notice the
                                        hardly expert level my knife skills demonstrate. It's
                                        kind of analogous to how having a loving personality can
                                        make you attractive even if visually you're no Brad
                                        or Angelina. These knives can be seen at the bottom of
                                        my knife site at: http://www.bobroseknives.com
                                        Anyway, if you do come, please don't wear some other
                                        teams shirts than the Eagles. You know that this could
                                        become a distraction from sharing meditation concepts
                                        and methods as I might go off on rants about football:)
                                        Hope to see you soon!
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Sep 9 4:33 PM
                                          OK, by semi-popular request, here's a brief report of the
                                          gun show. One of the most interesting things was that a forum
                                          member and a friend of his have started to make knives
                                          and seemingly are walking a similar path as I am relative
                                          to finding it at times to precede interesting, pleasant, and
                                          unusually informative meditative experiences...
                                          IE: They report entering a focus of attention so intense and
                                          yet so effortless that a shift in consciousness takes place
                                          that they sort of defined as a transcendent level of non-dual
                                          attention where one's individual identity melts away and
                                          a new awakening reveals an infinite unification with what
                                          Gurdjieff labeled "All and Everything". In any event, they
                                          still have all their fingers and other body parts, and that
                                          itself is a great result of clear meditative focus while
                                          using very powerful and potentially dangerous power tools.
                                          BTW, as a bonus, their knives looked very good and
                                          should prove highly functional. And just like me they report
                                          being surprised at having nice knives in their hands appear
                                          almost magically when the sparks, smoke, smells, sounds and
                                          heat subside.
                                          Anyway, thanks to those who came out and shared their
                                          wisdom and humor. Much appreciated!

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Dec 14, 2012
                                            Once again, I'll be displaying my knives and sharing
                                            meditation concepts and techniques (the usual combination
                                            for a meditation teacher:) at the Philly Gun Show in Oaks PA
                                            this weekend, Friday Dec 14 from 4PM to 8PM, Sat 9AM to 5PM, and
                                            Sun 9AM to 4PM. Here's where you can get info and a discount coupon:
                                            http://www.eaglearmsgunshows.com/oaks-gun-show-philadelphia-expo-center.html
                                            There will be about 1,000 tables full of weapons, ammo, and just
                                            about anything you can think of that brings about violence and
                                            destruction, as well as thousands of people who are anxious to buy
                                            these items. And there will also be my table where consciousness
                                            evolving methods will be shared (as well as complaining about the
                                            Eagles). Many of the knives I have made will be available and with
                                            the holidays coming, I expect lots of activity that interrupts our
                                            "high" conversations. But this is all part of what life is about...
                                            and maintaining a meditative mode in active as well as in passive situations is what a meditative practice should include. And when
                                            someone approaches you carrying a machine gun, and has ammo around
                                            their neck, to discus how best to use a certain knife, or whatever else is making their mind chatter, it's certainly an excellent opportunity to witness your own chatter, and to apply Self
                                            control and maintain your serenity, or to see just when and
                                            how you lose it (which might be a more valuable benefit).
                                            So it is actually an excellent environment for learning about and experiencing meditation in real life. Hope to see you there!
                                            BTW, here's where you can see my knives:
                                            http://www.bobroseknives.com
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Dec 16, 2012
                                              Well, this weekend I spent displaying knives I've made at
                                              the Philly Gun Show. 1200 tables full of weapons and their
                                              accoutrements and thousands of people there to buy them.
                                              Much discussion about the duality of "guns don't kill people,
                                              people do" and "if there weren't guns available, there wouldn't
                                              be so many killings" Of course there were local TV crews there filming the goings on and promising to be "fair" in their
                                              reporting as they focused the cameras on assault rifles and
                                              other semi and full automatic weapons. This will be just a
                                              small part of the ongoing and now top news discussion.

                                              In between actually selling some knives, I spent time
                                              discussing meditation with people and even conducted some
                                              mindfulness exercises semi-maintaining a Witnessing
                                              perspective on whatever was flowing by moment to (what seemed
                                              like) another moment. And as is common when in a wordless
                                              meditative mode, words appear that (right or wrong) point to
                                              "an answer", and here are some that flowed by...

                                              I'm guessing that just as there are hundreds of millions of
                                              words available to us, and they don't seem to solve anything,
                                              there being hundreds of millions of guns and rifles right now
                                              in the USA, and they aren't solving anything either, maybe
                                              just being conscious is the only real "problem solver".
                                              As Gurdjieff put it...
                                              "Do not be affected by externals. In themselves they are
                                              harmless; it is we who allow ourselves to be hurt by them."

                                              (the above is a para-phrase of a post on the Gene's Gulag
                                              forum)