[Meditation Society of America] Re: Meditation in the class

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 5, 2006
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, john whitten
      <whittenjohn@...> wrote:

      > Thanks again, We have begun practicing some positions and
      breathing exercises, they are receptive, but some are eager to
      advance more rapidly. I am trying to urge them to focus more on the
      process rather than achievement.setting goals. Is this a good idea?
      John

      Yo John,
      You are right that the process is important,
      but if the progress is what they desire to
      be able to judge, we have a technique that
      allows that to be assessed over time. It's
      called 108 - An Easy Hard Meditation Technique
      and canbe found on our web site, Meditation Station,
      along with dozens more,
      http://www.meditationsociety.com
      Here it is and I hope it will be beneficial.
      108 - An Easy Hard Meditation Technique
      Anything in life that brings you closer to inner
      peace can be said to be "good". Anything that
      takes your peace away is "bad". Of course, it is
      a given that anything that only brings you
      momentary peace, like drugs, is not good. To
      really qualify, the peace must be everlasting.
      Very often, good, and thus peace, doesn't come
      easily. For instance, politically and historically,
      it has often taken a war to bring about a lasting
      peace between enemies. An example of this can be
      found in the relationships between America, Japan,
      Russia, and Germany. Deadly enemies during World
      War II, and now close partners involved in mutual
      progress and at peace.

      Within ourselves there is a similar inner world
      war-like interaction going on between the mind,
      body, and emotions that prevents us from knowing
      real peace. As the events in our life take place,
      we react mentally, physically, and emotionally,
      sometimes more one way and at other times more in
      another. This slave-like reactivity makes our life
      seem out of control, bouncing back and forth
      between joy and sorrow, and without lasting peace.
      This anxiety and conflict filled state can be
      witnessed by an inner awareness that is our Real
      Self. This Witness to our life has always been
      there/here, silent, non-labeling, non-commenting,
      non-judging, and is present now.

      As you are reading these words, your Witness is
      aware of your mind's mentations, your body's
      sensations, and your emotion's feelings. If your
      inner chattering stops rambling on, you can sit
      back in your mind's eye and Witness your body/ego's
      reactions. It is at a moment when this occurs that
      what has been called your higher intuitive center
      kicks in and you will know, with a gut feeling,
      just what to do. You will then be able to witness
      your mind, body, and emotions act, and either cease
      the reactivity that has taken away your peace, or
      start to do that which will bring about peace in
      your life.

      For instance, you may have been banging your head
      against the wall for years, even though this
      caused you to suffer terribly. Your friends may
      have told you countless times that your life would
      be more peaceful if you would just stop doing this
      foolish activity. But, you never listened, or
      perhaps justified it as worth continuing with for
      some silly and illogical reason such as that it
      felt so good when you stopped. Witness yourself now.
      Did you just see yourself laugh, or react in a "Yep!
      That's me!" embarrassment? Did your mind get angry
      and defensive and deny that this concept could apply
      to you? Are you witnessing now? And now?

      Just as it is unlikely that you would continue
      to keep banging your head against the wall once
      you really recognized that you were doing it, once
      you witness yourself reacting to life's events
      inappropriately (in a way that steals your peace
      away from you), you will stop doing it and thus
      allow peace to fill and stay with you. The 108
      Meditation technique is one of the best at letting you witness your
      mind's activity.

      Relax yourself in the way you have found best
      prepares you for meditating. Focus your attention
      on your breath. Observe and feel air come into
      the body, stay, and leave the body. Silently say
      "One". Do it again and say "Two". On and on up
      to 108. This seems to be very easy to do, but don't
      be surprised, when you first try this inner exercise,
      if you can't concentrate well enough to get all the
      way up to 108 without being distracted by your
      thoughts, physical sensations, or emotions. Your
      mind has been your master and you have been it's
      slave your whole life, and it's not going to let
      you be in charge without giving you a very hard
      battle for control. Your mind has caused you to
      fritter away your most of your life rehashing the
      past and fantasizing about the future and will
      rebel if you try to live and control your life as
      it takes place.

      Your breath always occurs in the present moment.
      Thus, if you are paying attention to your breath,
      you have the potential of experiencing reality,
      for it too can only occur now, in the present. Inner
      peace is not something for the past or the future.
      It is available and present now. We just must stop
      being distracted from it. When we do this technique,
      and we watch our mind take us away from the object
      of our meditation, our breath, we must not scold
      ourselves. If we see that we are concentrating very
      well, we must not get too overjoyed. Both extremes
      are distractions.

      What is especially wonderful about this technique
      is that you can become aware of what causes your
      distraction as well as what happens as a result of
      your distraction. For instance, you may find that
      if you try to do this with your eyes open, something
      may catch your eye and you will start thinking about
      it. But, this is not necessarily bad because you may
      then have learned that it is easier to do this
      technique with your eyes shut and that this does
      bring more peace into your life. So, in a way, you
      may gain greater insight from "failing" at
      maintaining your concentration than from paying
      attention.

      Another benefit that this method gives us is that
      we can gauge our progress over time. For instance,
      when you first try it, you may only get up to the
      number 12 before your mind's chattering, or your
      body's twitching, or your emotion's swings
      distract you. Then, perhaps a week later, you may
      find that you are able to maintain your attention
      up to 48. A 400% improvement!

      Eventually, you will be able to silently witness
      your mind obediently accomplishing the task you
      have assigned it and you will get to 108
      successfully. It will be then that you can be
      considered the master, and your mind, body, and
      emotions, the slaves. They then can be used as
      valuable tools that will help you attain the
      consistent inner peace that you have been seeking.
      Easily!

      Perhaps the greatest asset this technique offers
      is that you will become more and more aware of,
      and start identifying with, the Witness within -
      the pure, blissful, serene consciousness that is
      your Real Self. You will then need no tools,
      techniques, or concepts, and will live happily
      ever after.

      > medit8ionsociety <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
      wrote: Yo John,
      > The CD is on its way. I hope
      > that it will be helpful. BTW, I'm
      > sure the universe will present
      > you with exactly what you need for
      > your masters, as it will with all
      > things.
      > Peace and blessings,
      > Bob
      > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, john whitten
      > <whittenjohn@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks Bob! I am really excited about this and hope the
      students get
      > into it as well. It's been years since i've done meditation
      myself
      > and have been working on it at home to try to help model/guide
      the
      > students. I am also using this as the subject for a action
      research
      > project I'm doing for my masters degree so any supplementary
      > research/support you could direct me to would be great. I am in
      Mexico

      wrote:
      > --- In
      > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, john whitten
      > > <whittenjohn@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I am interested in using meditation to improve focus,
      behaviour, and
      > > performance with my 8th grade class. After investigating the
      > > meditation techniques I have a question: where can I find
      the the
      > > position, breathing pattern, physical relaxing technique, and
      > > emptying of mental and emotional reactivity methods that are
      > > referrred to to prepare for several of the techniques?
      Please help.