Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Meditation in the class

  • john whitten
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 5, 2006
      Thanks again, We have begun practicing some positions and breathing exercises, they are receptive, but some are eager to advance more rapidly. I am trying to urge them to focus more on the process rather than achievement.setting goals. Is this a good idea? John

      Yo John,
      The CD is on its way. I hope
      that it will be helpful. BTW, I'm
      sure the universe will present
      you with exactly what you need for
      your masters, as it will with all
      things.
      --- In meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, john whitten
      <whittenjohn@ ...> wrote:

      > Thanks Bob! I am really excited about this and hope the students get
      into it as well. It's been years since i've done meditation myself
      and have been working on it at home to try to help model/guide the
      students. I am also using this as the subject for a action research
      project I'm doing for my masters degree so any supplementary
      research/support you could direct me to would be great. I am in Mexico
      so it would take a while for any mail to get here, but if you'd like
      ot send the CD great.

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 5, 2006
        <whittenjohn@...> wrote:

        > Thanks again, We have begun practicing some positions and
        breathing exercises, they are receptive, but some are eager to
        advance more rapidly. I am trying to urge them to focus more on the
        process rather than achievement.setting goals. Is this a good idea?
        John

        Yo John,
        You are right that the process is important,
        but if the progress is what they desire to
        be able to judge, we have a technique that
        allows that to be assessed over time. It's
        called 108 - An Easy Hard Meditation Technique
        and canbe found on our web site, Meditation Station,
        along with dozens more,
        http://www.meditationsociety.com
        Here it is and I hope it will be beneficial.
        108 - An Easy Hard Meditation Technique
        Anything in life that brings you closer to inner
        peace can be said to be "good". Anything that
        takes your peace away is "bad". Of course, it is
        a given that anything that only brings you
        momentary peace, like drugs, is not good. To
        really qualify, the peace must be everlasting.
        Very often, good, and thus peace, doesn't come
        easily. For instance, politically and historically,
        it has often taken a war to bring about a lasting
        peace between enemies. An example of this can be
        found in the relationships between America, Japan,
        Russia, and Germany. Deadly enemies during World
        War II, and now close partners involved in mutual
        progress and at peace.

        Within ourselves there is a similar inner world
        war-like interaction going on between the mind,
        body, and emotions that prevents us from knowing
        real peace. As the events in our life take place,
        we react mentally, physically, and emotionally,
        sometimes more one way and at other times more in
        another. This slave-like reactivity makes our life
        seem out of control, bouncing back and forth
        between joy and sorrow, and without lasting peace.
        This anxiety and conflict filled state can be
        witnessed by an inner awareness that is our Real
        Self. This Witness to our life has always been
        there/here, silent, non-labeling, non-commenting,
        non-judging, and is present now.

        As you are reading these words, your Witness is
        aware of your mind's mentations, your body's
        sensations, and your emotion's feelings. If your
        inner chattering stops rambling on, you can sit
        back in your mind's eye and Witness your body/ego's
        reactions. It is at a moment when this occurs that
        what has been called your higher intuitive center
        kicks in and you will know, with a gut feeling,
        just what to do. You will then be able to witness
        your mind, body, and emotions act, and either cease
        the reactivity that has taken away your peace, or
        start to do that which will bring about peace in
        your life.

        For instance, you may have been banging your head
        against the wall for years, even though this
        caused you to suffer terribly. Your friends may
        have told you countless times that your life would
        be more peaceful if you would just stop doing this
        foolish activity. But, you never listened, or
        perhaps justified it as worth continuing with for
        some silly and illogical reason such as that it
        felt so good when you stopped. Witness yourself now.
        Did you just see yourself laugh, or react in a "Yep!
        That's me!" embarrassment? Did your mind get angry
        and defensive and deny that this concept could apply
        to you? Are you witnessing now? And now?

        Just as it is unlikely that you would continue
        to keep banging your head against the wall once
        you really recognized that you were doing it, once
        you witness yourself reacting to life's events
        inappropriately (in a way that steals your peace
        away from you), you will stop doing it and thus
        allow peace to fill and stay with you. The 108
        Meditation technique is one of the best at letting you witness your
        mind's activity.

        Relax yourself in the way you have found best
        prepares you for meditating. Focus your attention
        on your breath. Observe and feel air come into
        the body, stay, and leave the body. Silently say
        "One". Do it again and say "Two". On and on up
        to 108. This seems to be very easy to do, but don't
        be surprised, when you first try this inner exercise,
        if you can't concentrate well enough to get all the
        way up to 108 without being distracted by your
        thoughts, physical sensations, or emotions. Your
        mind has been your master and you have been it's
        slave your whole life, and it's not going to let
        you be in charge without giving you a very hard
        battle for control. Your mind has caused you to
        fritter away your most of your life rehashing the
        past and fantasizing about the future and will
        rebel if you try to live and control your life as
        it takes place.

        Your breath always occurs in the present moment.
        Thus, if you are paying attention to your breath,
        you have the potential of experiencing reality,
        for it too can only occur now, in the present. Inner
        peace is not something for the past or the future.
        It is available and present now. We just must stop
        being distracted from it. When we do this technique,
        and we watch our mind take us away from the object
        of our meditation, our breath, we must not scold
        ourselves. If we see that we are concentrating very
        well, we must not get too overjoyed. Both extremes
        are distractions.

        What is especially wonderful about this technique
        is that you can become aware of what causes your
        distraction as well as what happens as a result of
        your distraction. For instance, you may find that
        if you try to do this with your eyes open, something
        may catch your eye and you will start thinking about
        it. But, this is not necessarily bad because you may
        then have learned that it is easier to do this
        technique with your eyes shut and that this does
        bring more peace into your life. So, in a way, you
        may gain greater insight from "failing" at
        maintaining your concentration than from paying
        attention.

        Another benefit that this method gives us is that
        we can gauge our progress over time. For instance,
        when you first try it, you may only get up to the
        number 12 before your mind's chattering, or your
        body's twitching, or your emotion's swings
        distract you. Then, perhaps a week later, you may
        find that you are able to maintain your attention
        up to 48. A 400% improvement!

        Eventually, you will be able to silently witness
        your mind obediently accomplishing the task you
        have assigned it and you will get to 108
        successfully. It will be then that you can be
        considered the master, and your mind, body, and
        emotions, the slaves. They then can be used as
        valuable tools that will help you attain the
        consistent inner peace that you have been seeking.
        Easily!

        Perhaps the greatest asset this technique offers
        is that you will become more and more aware of,
        and start identifying with, the Witness within -
        the pure, blissful, serene consciousness that is
        your Real Self. You will then need no tools,
        techniques, or concepts, and will live happily
        ever after.

        > medit8ionsociety <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
        wrote: Yo John,