Repost from the Guruphiliac Group

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1 9:35 AM
      A wisdom gem from Druga (whose posts are
      always very worth checking out) on the very
      enjoyable Guruphiliac group:

      1a. Re: Boomeritis Advaita /Kosmic Questions
      Posted by: "Durga" durgaji108@... durgaji108
      Date: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:25 pm (PDT)

      --- In Guruphiliac@yahoogroups.com,
      Bruce Morgen <editor@...> wrote:

> [...]

      "scientific." That's to just practice without ideas of what you hope
      or expect to get out of it, but rather with just complete openness to
      perceiving whatever appears.

      result. It's certainly a part of my lineage's tradition, doing it to
      do it rather than for what you think it will do for you.

      > > The phrase I (over?)use
      > > is "without attachment to
      > > outcome."

      There is a further way of looking at this,
      which can be called 'having a karma yoga
      attitude,' which is this:

      Any action I undertake I do so with
      a desired (or expected) objective
      in mind. Such as I get a glass
      of water. I intend and expect that
      my thirst will be quenched.

      I get up from my chair and walk across
      the room and intend to get to the other side.
      That's the result I expect from my action.

      I take a ride in my car intending
      to go from San Francisco to Berkeley,
      and expect to arrive in Berkeley.

      Alright, those are my intentions and expectations,
      and those can be translated to apply to any action
      which I undertake. Any action I undertake I do
      so with an expected result in mind (or I wouldn't
      do it in the first place).

      What happens in the above illustrations? I take
      a glass a water, and the glass slips from
      my hand and breaks on the floor. My thirst is
      not quenched. (Not only that I have to clear
      up the broken glass, if I do not want to cut
      my feet).

      I get up from my chair intending to walk across
      the room, and the telephone rings mid-way, so
      I go to answer it, intending to speak to the
      caller, but that person hangs up before I get to the
      phone. So not only have I not made it across
      to the other side of the room, I also haven't
      spoken to whoever telephoned.

      I get in my car in San Francisco and get on the
      highway, expecting to go over the Bay Bridge
      and into Berkeley , and what happens?
      The bridge is closed eastbound because they
      are retrofitting it during Labor Day weekend,
      (take heed!) So I have to go all the way
      round through Marin. I want to get back to Berkeley,
      that's the result I desire from my action. What happens?
      I get stuck in traffic, (of course), which was not what
      I wanted or intended as the result of my actions.

      So what? What does all of this mean? What
      is a karma yoga attitude? It is this. I do
      an action fully expecting and intending to
      receive a certain result, but the result is not
      in my hands.

      Whose hands is the result in? Who is the giver
      of the result of an action? The whole. The creation.
      And for some, the word used to describe that is 'God.'

      So I just do my best as an individual, and that is my offering.
      I do the action wishing to receive a desired result,
      But whatever result I receive, I receive as `prasad.'

      This attitude can relieve a lot of tension. It can also help
      with many other psychological issues as well, (and in fact many
      teachings would say it is what is really going). It
      also puts you into dialogue and appreciation of the whole.

      Never at any time are you as an individual separate
      from the whole. So that is not self-realization, but
      it is appreciation, and you can take this a lot farther,
      all the way to understanding yourself as the self of
      the whole. But prior to that understanding,
      having karma yoga attitude is a good place to begin,
      and it's where you will end up anyway.

      Durga