[Meditation Society of America] Re: Meditation in the class

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 31, 2006
      Yo John,
      The CD is on its way. I hope
      that it will be helpful. BTW, I'm
      sure the universe will present
      you with exactly what you need for
      your masters, as it will with all
      things.
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, john whitten
      <whittenjohn@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Bob! I am really excited about this and hope the students get
      into it as well. It's been years since i've done meditation myself
      and have been working on it at home to try to help model/guide the
      students. I am also using this as the subject for a action research
      project I'm doing for my masters degree so any supplementary
      research/support you could direct me to would be great. I am in Mexico
      so it would take a while for any mail to get here, but if you'd like
      ot send the CD great.

    • john whitten
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 5, 2006
        Thanks again, We have begun practicing some positions and breathing exercises, they are receptive, but some are eager to advance more rapidly. I am trying to urge them to focus more on the process rather than achievement.setting goals. Is this a good idea? John

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 5, 2006
          <whittenjohn@...> wrote:

          > Thanks again, We have begun practicing some positions and
          breathing exercises, they are receptive, but some are eager to
          advance more rapidly. I am trying to urge them to focus more on the
          process rather than achievement.setting goals. Is this a good idea?
          John

          Yo John,
          You are right that the process is important,
          but if the progress is what they desire to
          be able to judge, we have a technique that
          allows that to be assessed over time. It's
          called 108 - An Easy Hard Meditation Technique
          and canbe found on our web site, Meditation Station,
          along with dozens more,
          http://www.meditationsociety.com
          Here it is and I hope it will be beneficial.
          108 - An Easy Hard Meditation Technique
          Anything in life that brings you closer to inner
          peace can be said to be "good". Anything that
          takes your peace away is "bad". Of course, it is
          a given that anything that only brings you
          momentary peace, like drugs, is not good. To
          really qualify, the peace must be everlasting.
          Very often, good, and thus peace, doesn't come
          easily. For instance, politically and historically,
          it has often taken a war to bring about a lasting
          peace between enemies. An example of this can be
          found in the relationships between America, Japan,
          Russia, and Germany. Deadly enemies during World
          War II, and now close partners involved in mutual
          progress and at peace.

          Within ourselves there is a similar inner world
          war-like interaction going on between the mind,
          body, and emotions that prevents us from knowing
          real peace. As the events in our life take place,
          we react mentally, physically, and emotionally,
          sometimes more one way and at other times more in
          another. This slave-like reactivity makes our life
          seem out of control, bouncing back and forth
          between joy and sorrow, and without lasting peace.
          This anxiety and conflict filled state can be
          witnessed by an inner awareness that is our Real
          Self. This Witness to our life has always been
          there/here, silent, non-labeling, non-commenting,
          non-judging, and is present now.

          As you are reading these words, your Witness is
          aware of your mind's mentations, your body's
          sensations, and your emotion's feelings. If your
          inner chattering stops rambling on, you can sit
          back in your mind's eye and Witness your body/ego's
          reactions. It is at a moment when this occurs that
          what has been called your higher intuitive center
          kicks in and you will know, with a gut feeling,
          just what to do. You will then be able to witness
          your mind, body, and emotions act, and either cease
          the reactivity that has taken away your peace, or
          start to do that which will bring about peace in
          your life.

          For instance, you may have been banging your head
          against the wall for years, even though this
          caused you to suffer terribly. Your friends may
          have told you countless times that your life would
          be more peaceful if you would just stop doing this
          foolish activity. But, you never listened, or
          perhaps justified it as worth continuing with for
          some silly and illogical reason such as that it
          felt so good when you stopped. Witness yourself now.
          Did you just see yourself laugh, or react in a "Yep!
          That's me!" embarrassment? Did your mind get angry
          and defensive and deny that this concept could apply
          to you? Are you witnessing now? And now?

          Just as it is unlikely that you would continue
          to keep banging your head against the wall once
          you really recognized that you were doing it, once
          you witness yourself reacting to life's events
          inappropriately (in a way that steals your peace
          away from you), you will stop doing it and thus
          allow peace to fill and stay with you. The 108
          Meditation technique is one of the best at letting you witness your
          mind's activity.

          Relax yourself in the way you have found best
          prepares you for meditating. Focus your attention
          on your breath. Observe and feel air come into
          the body, stay, and leave the body. Silently say
          "One". Do it again and say "Two". On and on up
          to 108. This seems to be very easy to do, but don't
          be surprised, when you first try this inner exercise,
          if you can't concentrate well enough to get all the
          way up to 108 without being distracted by your
          thoughts, physical sensations, or emotions. Your
          mind has been your master and you have been it's
          slave your whole life, and it's not going to let
          you be in charge without giving you a very hard
          battle for control. Your mind has caused you to
          fritter away your most of your life rehashing the
          past and fantasizing about the future and will
          rebel if you try to live and control your life as
          it takes place.

          Your breath always occurs in the present moment.
          Thus, if you are paying attention to your breath,
          you have the potential of experiencing reality,
          for it too can only occur now, in the present. Inner
          peace is not something for the past or the future.
          It is available and present now. We just must stop
          being distracted from it. When we do this technique,
          and we watch our mind take us away from the object
          of our meditation, our breath, we must not scold
          ourselves. If we see that we are concentrating very
          well, we must not get too overjoyed. Both extremes
          are distractions.

          What is especially wonderful about this technique
          is that you can become aware of what causes your
          distraction as well as what happens as a result of
          your distraction. For instance, you may find that
          if you try to do this with your eyes open, something
          may catch your eye and you will start thinking about
          it. But, this is not necessarily bad because you may
          then have learned that it is easier to do this
          technique with your eyes shut and that this does
          bring more peace into your life. So, in a way, you
          may gain greater insight from "failing" at
          maintaining your concentration than from paying
          attention.

          Another benefit that this method gives us is that
          we can gauge our progress over time. For instance,
          when you first try it, you may only get up to the
          number 12 before your mind's chattering, or your
          body's twitching, or your emotion's swings
          distract you. Then, perhaps a week later, you may
          find that you are able to maintain your attention
          up to 48. A 400% improvement!

          Eventually, you will be able to silently witness
          your mind obediently accomplishing the task you
          have assigned it and you will get to 108
          successfully. It will be then that you can be
          considered the master, and your mind, body, and
          emotions, the slaves. They then can be used as
          valuable tools that will help you attain the
          consistent inner peace that you have been seeking.
          Easily!

          Perhaps the greatest asset this technique offers
          is that you will become more and more aware of,
          and start identifying with, the Witness within -
          the pure, blissful, serene consciousness that is
          your Real Self. You will then need no tools,
          techniques, or concepts, and will live happily
          ever after.

          > medit8ionsociety <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
          wrote: Yo John,