Re: Meditation in the class

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 23, 2006
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, john whitten
      <whittenjohn@...> wrote:

      > I am interested in using meditation to improve focus, behaviour, and
      performance with my 8th grade class. After investigating the
      meditation techniques I have a question: where can I find the the
      position, breathing pattern, physical relaxing technique, and
      emptying of mental and emotional reactivity methods that are
      referrred to to prepare for several of the techniques? Please help.
      Thanks, John whitten

      Yo John,
      What a small universe this is. We taught dozens of our
      classes in an 8th grade classroom for the Haverford
      Adult Education Program. I think the average 8th grade
      classroom is a very challanging environment to teach
      meditation in, but also one of the most needed fro sharing
      this ancient knowledge. The vibes of decades of boredom,
      fear of flunking, general teen angst, etc, are heavy in
      the air, but thus so is the need to present an antedote.
      Anyway, we would start each class by having the students
      get as comfortable as they could in whatever position
      they preferred, close their eyes, and then guide them in
      tensing and then relaxing their body, part by part, from
      their toes to their scalp. BTW, There is a 17 or so minute
      version of this on our Guided Meditation CD. I'll be glad
      to send you a copy if you email me a mailing address, but
      you'll have to wait until I return from Arkansas where I'll
      be visiting my son and daughter-in-law for the next 9 days.
      In class, we usually did a 5 minute or so version of this.
      This also extrapolated into their learning just where they
      keep their tension, and then in "real life" be able to do
      spot checks throughout the day and just by focusing on their
      tension areas, be able to have all their tension release.
      For instance, if you usually keep tension in they shoulders,
      just by relaxing them, eventually your body (and emotions
      and mind) will relaxe simultaneously.
      OK - back to the class...After they are relaxed, and this
      simple technique will do it well, guide them in commanding
      their bodies to not fidgit, itch, ache, or in any way
      distract them from focusing on their meditation. Similarly,
      guide them in directing their emotions to not get too
      blissed out, too upset, or in any way bringing your focus
      away from the meditation. And then help them command their
      mind to not chatter in any way --- no judging, no comparing,
      no commenting at all in any way that takes the focus of away
      from the object of the meditation. And let them know that if
      they do witness them selves lose focus to resist chastising
      themselves (IE: telling them selves things like "You're no
      good", or "You'll never be able to meditate", or anything
      similar that is also taking them away from focusing on their
      meditation), and to just say to their self "Oh well!" and
      for their concentration to flow nicely and meditation and
      contemplation to occur. Oh yeah, we used to have just one
      rule, and that was that you were allowed to fall asleep, but
      now we need to also make sure all cell phones and pagers are
      turned off. I hope this is helpful and wish you well.
    • john whitten
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 24, 2006
        Thanks Bob! I am really excited about this and hope the students get into it as well. It's been years since i've done meditation myself and have been working on it at home to try to help model/guide the students. I am also using this as the subject for a action research project I'm doing for my masters degree so any supplementary research/support you could direct me to would be great. I am in Mexico so it would take a while for any mail to get here, but if you'd like ot send the CD great.
        Colegio Americano Puerto Vallarta
        Attn: John Whitten
        Albatross S/N Marina Vallarta
        Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco MX

        Thanks, John

        <whittenjohn@ ...> wrote:

> [...]
        away from the meditation. And then help them command their
        mind to not chatter in any way --- no judging, no comparing,
        no commenting at all in any way that takes the focus of away
        from the object of the meditation. And let them know that if
        they do witness them selves lose focus to resist chastising
        themselves (IE: telling them selves things like "You're no
        good", or "You'll never be able to meditate", or anything
        similar that is also taking them away from focusing on their
        meditation), and to just say to their self "Oh well!" and
        for their concentration to flow nicely and meditation and
        contemplation to occur. Oh yeah, we used to have just one
        rule, and that was that you were allowed to fall asleep, but
        now we need to also make sure all cell phones and pagers are
        turned off. I hope this is helpful and wish you well.

        Do you Yahoo!?

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 31, 2006
          Yo John,
          The CD is on its way. I hope
          that it will be helpful. BTW, I'm
          sure the universe will present
          you with exactly what you need for
          your masters, as it will with all
          things.
          <whittenjohn@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > away from the meditation. And then help them command their
          > mind to not chatter in any way --- no judging, no comparing,
          > no commenting at all in any way that takes the focus of away
          > from the object of the meditation. And let them know that if
          > they do witness them selves lose focus to resist chastising
          > themselves (IE: telling them selves things like "You're no
          > good", or "You'll never be able to meditate", or anything
          > similar that is also taking them away from focusing on their
          > meditation), and to just say to their self "Oh well!" and
          > for their concentration to flow nicely and meditation and
          > contemplation to occur. Oh yeah, we used to have just one
          > rule, and that was that you were allowed to fall asleep, but
          > now we need to also make sure all cell phones and pagers are
          > turned off. I hope this is helpful and wish you well.

        • john whitten
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 5, 2006
            Thanks again, We have begun practicing some positions and breathing exercises, they are receptive, but some are eager to advance more rapidly. I am trying to urge them to focus more on the process rather than achievement.setting goals. Is this a good idea? John

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 5, 2006
              <whittenjohn@...> wrote:

              > Thanks again, We have begun practicing some positions and
              breathing exercises, they are receptive, but some are eager to
              advance more rapidly. I am trying to urge them to focus more on the
              process rather than achievement.setting goals. Is this a good idea?
              John

              Yo John,
              You are right that the process is important,
              but if the progress is what they desire to
              be able to judge, we have a technique that
              allows that to be assessed over time. It's
              called 108 - An Easy Hard Meditation Technique
              and canbe found on our web site, Meditation Station,
              along with dozens more,
              http://www.meditationsociety.com
              Here it is and I hope it will be beneficial.
              108 - An Easy Hard Meditation Technique
              Anything in life that brings you closer to inner
              peace can be said to be "good". Anything that
              takes your peace away is "bad". Of course, it is
              a given that anything that only brings you
              momentary peace, like drugs, is not good. To
              really qualify, the peace must be everlasting.
              Very often, good, and thus peace, doesn't come
              easily. For instance, politically and historically,
              it has often taken a war to bring about a lasting
              peace between enemies. An example of this can be
              found in the relationships between America, Japan,
              Russia, and Germany. Deadly enemies during World
              War II, and now close partners involved in mutual
              progress and at peace.

              Within ourselves there is a similar inner world
              war-like interaction going on between the mind,
              body, and emotions that prevents us from knowing
              real peace. As the events in our life take place,
              we react mentally, physically, and emotionally,
              sometimes more one way and at other times more in
              another. This slave-like reactivity makes our life
              seem out of control, bouncing back and forth
              between joy and sorrow, and without lasting peace.
              This anxiety and conflict filled state can be
              witnessed by an inner awareness that is our Real
              Self. This Witness to our life has always been
              there/here, silent, non-labeling, non-commenting,
              non-judging, and is present now.

              As you are reading these words, your Witness is
              aware of your mind's mentations, your body's
              sensations, and your emotion's feelings. If your
              inner chattering stops rambling on, you can sit
              back in your mind's eye and Witness your body/ego's
              reactions. It is at a moment when this occurs that
              what has been called your higher intuitive center
              kicks in and you will know, with a gut feeling,
              just what to do. You will then be able to witness
              your mind, body, and emotions act, and either cease
              the reactivity that has taken away your peace, or
              start to do that which will bring about peace in
              your life.

              For instance, you may have been banging your head
              against the wall for years, even though this
              caused you to suffer terribly. Your friends may
              have told you countless times that your life would
              be more peaceful if you would just stop doing this
              foolish activity. But, you never listened, or
              perhaps justified it as worth continuing with for
              some silly and illogical reason such as that it
              felt so good when you stopped. Witness yourself now.
              Did you just see yourself laugh, or react in a "Yep!
              That's me!" embarrassment? Did your mind get angry
              and defensive and deny that this concept could apply
              to you? Are you witnessing now? And now?

              Just as it is unlikely that you would continue
              to keep banging your head against the wall once
              you really recognized that you were doing it, once
              you witness yourself reacting to life's events
              inappropriately (in a way that steals your peace
              away from you), you will stop doing it and thus
              allow peace to fill and stay with you. The 108
              Meditation technique is one of the best at letting you witness your
              mind's activity.

              Relax yourself in the way you have found best
              prepares you for meditating. Focus your attention
              on your breath. Observe and feel air come into
              the body, stay, and leave the body. Silently say
              "One". Do it again and say "Two". On and on up
              to 108. This seems to be very easy to do, but don't
              be surprised, when you first try this inner exercise,
              if you can't concentrate well enough to get all the
              way up to 108 without being distracted by your
              thoughts, physical sensations, or emotions. Your
              mind has been your master and you have been it's
              slave your whole life, and it's not going to let
              you be in charge without giving you a very hard
              battle for control. Your mind has caused you to
              fritter away your most of your life rehashing the
              past and fantasizing about the future and will
              rebel if you try to live and control your life as
              it takes place.

              Your breath always occurs in the present moment.
              Thus, if you are paying attention to your breath,
              you have the potential of experiencing reality,
              for it too can only occur now, in the present. Inner
              peace is not something for the past or the future.
              It is available and present now. We just must stop
              being distracted from it. When we do this technique,
              and we watch our mind take us away from the object
              of our meditation, our breath, we must not scold
              ourselves. If we see that we are concentrating very
              well, we must not get too overjoyed. Both extremes
              are distractions.

              What is especially wonderful about this technique
              is that you can become aware of what causes your
              distraction as well as what happens as a result of
              your distraction. For instance, you may find that
              if you try to do this with your eyes open, something
              may catch your eye and you will start thinking about
              it. But, this is not necessarily bad because you may
              then have learned that it is easier to do this
              technique with your eyes shut and that this does
              bring more peace into your life. So, in a way, you
              may gain greater insight from "failing" at
              maintaining your concentration than from paying
              attention.

              Another benefit that this method gives us is that
              we can gauge our progress over time. For instance,
              when you first try it, you may only get up to the
              number 12 before your mind's chattering, or your
              body's twitching, or your emotion's swings
              distract you. Then, perhaps a week later, you may
              find that you are able to maintain your attention
              up to 48. A 400% improvement!

              Eventually, you will be able to silently witness
              your mind obediently accomplishing the task you
              have assigned it and you will get to 108
              successfully. It will be then that you can be
              considered the master, and your mind, body, and
              emotions, the slaves. They then can be used as
              valuable tools that will help you attain the
              consistent inner peace that you have been seeking.
              Easily!

              Perhaps the greatest asset this technique offers
              is that you will become more and more aware of,
              and start identifying with, the Witness within -
              the pure, blissful, serene consciousness that is
              your Real Self. You will then need no tools,
              techniques, or concepts, and will live happily
              ever after.

              > medit8ionsociety <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
              wrote: Yo John,