Re: Ecstatic Buddhism

  • Jeffrey S. Brooks
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 22 11:43 AM
      Hello Era, Nirodha, Adam and Greg thank-you ever so much for posting
      your kind and supportive comments regarding the importance of
      cultivating meditative absorption. Thank-you Era for the heads up on
      the URL. I enjoyed reading Nirodha's post Science of Self-Realization
      - Patanjali's Yoga Sutras by Roy Eugene.

      I very much enjoyed reading Adam West's post regarding AZIZ KRISTOF in
      which he comments on "The Dangers of Pseudo Advaita now proceeds"

      I also very much enjoyed reading Greg's post regarding the
      conservative Hindu opinion of Westerners embracing Hindu philosophies,
      such as Advaita.

      "Westerners can never become
      enlightened and should not study Advaita.
      The best thing that Westerners can do is to live
      a good life and hope to be reborn in India -
      as a cockroach."
      http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/meditationsocietyofamerica/message/13907

      The Buddha's definition of the 8th fold of the Noble Eightfold Path
      Maha-satipatthana Sutta (DN 22.21)
      "And what is meditative absorption (sama-samadhi)? There is the case
      where a contemplative; who is withdrawn from sensory phenomena, and
      withdrawn from unwholesome mental states; enters upon and abides in
      the first meditative absorption state (jhana), which is accompanied by
      bliss (piiti) and joy (sukha) originating from withdrawal..." (through
      fourth jhana).
      http://www.greatwesternvehicle.org/mahasatipatthanasutta.htm

      Jhanananda (Jeffrey S, Brooks)
      the Great Western Vehicle