2 Types of Meditation

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 15, 2006
      Thanks to one of our new members, Swami R,
      for his interesting insights and encouragement
      to share this article from the Concepts of
      Meditation section of our web site
      Two Types of Meditation: Stabilizing and Analytical

      Tibetan Buddhism speaks of two different types
      of meditation. One is Stabilizing and could be
      characterized by a type of "mindless" repetition
      of a word or phrase (mantra/japa) or by simply
      doing an action over and over like yantra (the
      continual gazing at an object, ie: a picture or
      statue of a deity, the symbol for OM, a flame, etc.).
      The other type of meditation is Analytical. In
      this form, the practitioner doesn't simply repeat
      a word over and over or look at a picture repeatedly.
      The meditator would try to understand everything
      they know or everything that can be known about the
      object of their attention.

      As an example of the difference between a stabilizing
      and an analytical meditation, let's use the word peace.
      You could repeat peace, peace, peace, ad infinitum and
      eventually go deeper and deeper into a state of quietude
      that could be described as Peace. This is very nice but
      perhaps might not be fulfilling relative to an increase
      in understanding about peace. This is where analytical
      meditation might bring a benefit.

      The meditator who is trained in analytical methodology
      might also start by repeating the word peace, but once
      firmly concentrated on it would then proceed to analyzing
      everything they knew about peace. They might think about
      the things that bring them peace like swimming, or eating,
      or maybe holding a baby. They may also think about the
      things that make them lose their peace like their boss, or
      unfulfilled desires, or driving in heavy traffic.

      In theory, eventually, if they kept at it, they would
      connect everything in the universe, because everything is
      in some way connected with peace (Einstein's' theory of
      relativity - all things are relative to everything else).
      But what actually happens is that the object of your
      meditation starts to present itself to you and you can
      sit back in your minds-eye and simply witness your Higher
      Mind reveal every aspect of peace to you.

      Your inner Witness, who is your Real Self, is always
      receiving, knowing, and at one with everything and once
      we remove the false concept that we are different (a body,
      a mind, an emotion, even a separate soul) from it, we will
      know and be at one with everything. Our consciousness awakens
      to its real natural of infinite, eternal Peace, Love,
      Knowledge, and Bliss, and we live happily ever after. This
      is the state known as Contemplation.

      So, to summarize, you start by Concentrating, then Meditate
      by the analytical method, and then this segues into
      Contemplation. It is then when all the ???'s turn into !!!.
      The Tibetans Buddhists consider analytical meditation
      techniques to be superior to the stabilizing. For you, now,
      it may be possible that this may bring about the result you