Re: [Meditation Society of America] Fwd: Meditation States and Traits: EEG, ERP, and Neuroimaging Studies

  • Shankar Iyer/Personal Mails
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 10 9:47 PM
      Dear Des:

      I also thought, like you, that how can "some smartass  tell me
      how to live my life".  But you can get this answer only when you meet a true Guru.
      Till then I also thought like you. Really. Only experience would tell the difference.

      And for the Indian sounding word. I could not find an equivalent English word for
      Sanskaras.  The closest meaning would be: impressions gathered/carried on
      over several births.

      A Guru cannot be equated with "a smartass". There is this question asked to
      a sage, that if God and Guru stand together, whom should the disciple
      prostrate before first. The sage answered that the Guru should be the first.
      Such is the importance of the Guru.

      Well Des, your opinion is yours, and mine is mine!!

      Best wishes.

      Shankar Iyer

      Des Brittain <desbrittain@...> wrote:
      I don't bump into too many Gurus where I live so I guess i will just have to
      carry on doing what I do without the benefit of some smartass who thinks he
      can tell me how to live my life.

      Meditation is so simple. Just sit and count up to ten. Count every outbreath
      and concentrate on that. Try not to wander away with other thoughts, just
      keep coming back to the count. At the tenth count say, Dear God and then
      start again at one. Keep doing this for about twenty minutes to half an hour
      once or twice a day. Things will happen and you will get better at it. You
      will be guided from within. You will be shown what to do. Believe me. It's
      not complicated. Keep it simple.

      Keep doing this week after week and your life will change for the better.
      Things will flow and little coincidences will start to happen. You will know
      instinctively what to do. It's great.

      That's all you need to know for now. Further knowledge will come as you
      require it.

      Have a nice day! (no need for daft sounding Indian words either)