Re: [Meditation Society of America] Awareness Meditation

  • Benjamin Buehne
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 25, 2006
      Hello Yeshwanthi,

      Now I am by no means a master but I am an
      experienced meditator and work in the mental health
      field. I am not certain but it sounds like you are
      inducing Mania with form of meditation.

      Let me clarify why I think this. Mania would be
      the opposite of depression. Here is the symptoms...
      http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=4271
      . Rather than finding a way to shut off your mind you
      are overheating it. Think of your computer... it can
      only process so much and then will struggle if you run
      too many programs at once. Well the mind is used to
      processing only so much... and overloading has the
      effects of Mania.

      It is not uncommon for those experiencing Mania
      to have severe panic attacks. It is also not uncommon
      to have severe mood swings. While the initial effect
      may be euphoric, Mania weakens your judgement and is
      an extreme rather than a center.

      In my experience Meditation is about finding a
      center and balance. You are looking for a way for
      your mind to be neither high nor low... but to simply
      be. Concentrating one 1 thing is a gateway... it puts
      your mind in a constant state. Eventually, this 1
      thing may slip away and then you have nothingness. I
      don't think this can happen with the meditation method
      you describe, although I could be wrong.

      In addition though, I have found that fear may
      arise before going to this next level. Before I had
      done that, I awoke several times as if being shocked
      back to conciousness. It's a fearful experience at
      first because it's unfamiliar. You could be
      experiencing this... but I then wonder if your method
      would allow you to transition further as your thoughts
      may be racing. YOu must decide if you feel that this
      is the case and if you choose to alter or continue
      this form of meditation.

      Just trying to add my 2 cents... hope this helps.

      Sincerely,
      Ben

      --- yeshwanthi vasudevan <badgirl_nofear@...>

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Michael
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 25, 2006
        I am also a novice where meditation is concerned (only meditating
        since January)and by far am no master, however, I had experiences
        similar to what you describe although not as intense. I eventually
        found my fear was the fear of releasing control. As you go deeper
        into meditation, deeper into your true, inner self, closer to our
        Universal Source, it becomes necessary to "let go" of your
        egocentric, earthly part of your being and proceed to the next
        spiritual level. That "letting go" can be a scary experience. I got
        past it by practicing a little technique. While meditating, when the
        sense of fear began, I focused on the words "There is nothing to
        fear." I also matched the words to my breathing. As I inhaled I
        thought, "There is nothing..." and then on the exhale,
        thought, "...to fear." I eventually got over the threshold. I hope
        this helps.

        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, yeshwanthi
        vasudevan <badgirl_nofear@...> wrote:

        > Hi Everybody
        >
        > I've already sent the below message to medit8@..., but I thought
        it's always good to ask everyone's opinion on this. So here it goes:

        > I've just recently started meditation. And no I don't do any
        concentration meditation, in other words I don't concentrate on any
        object or image but rather I do awareness meditation. You know just
        observing your thoughts, the physical sensations, breath etc.. just
        simply being aware (easy said than done!) And I'am now able to sit
        for like more than just 20 minutes. But when I start pushing myself
        to sit for more than 20 minutes that is like 35 minutes or so, I
        suddenly start feeling (i don't know how to explain this) very
        peaceful and serene (i don't think even these words could explain it
        properly), i've never felt that before, I've never felt that sort of
        tranquility before ( I guess this is something that you would feel
        only when your meditating), it's just a really beautiful feeling, my
        head just starts to feel really light. But as I start feeling
        tranquil, at the same time, simaltaneously I start feeling very, very
        restless and I feel fear arising in me. I don't
        > understand why I start to suddenly feel very scared and restless.
        At that particular moment all I want to do is to just open my eyes
        and get out of meditation. At that particular moment I feel like
        there is some sort of a restless battle waging on inside me. A part
        of me is just screaming and begging to stop the meditation, and get
        out of it immediately. And another part of me is telling me to just
        be patient and persistent, to not stop, to not open my eyes, and keep
        going, and to just be aware of the fear arising in me. I'am unable to
        go beyond 35 minutes. I can sit for more than 35 minutes, but only
        with a 5 minutes break in between. otherwise sitting in one stretch
        for more than 35 minutes is just scary. I don't know why I start
        feeling so scared and restless, or rather should i say what am I so
        scared of??? I'am really curious. Have any of you ever felt this when
        you first started meditation?????

        > Thanking You,
        > Yeshwanthi
        >

        > ---------------------------------
        > Find out what India is talking about on Yahoo! Answers India.

      • Rushikant Mehta
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 30, 2006
          Yeshwanthiji :

          Why not to accept the reality ? Continue your meditation of just being aware of whatever is the reality of the moment. And react not by desiring anything otherwise than what the Nature manifests, on the body or in the mind.

          If you do not wish the pent up fear to surface, how can you get rid of it ? Same with all supressed emotions & negativities. Let them come up & pass. It's real catharsis.

          And why insist on longer than 35 minutes ? Persist in the efforts, the meditation, the awareness; continually, if not continuously.

          Still if you want to do it more systematically in protective environment, under guidence, visit www.dhamma.org.

          May your determination to develop in self-awareness lead you to the Ultimate
          Enlightenment.

          -rushikant.
[...]

          May All Beings be Happy, be Peaceful, be Liberated from Misery.