[Meditation Society of America] Re: Introduction to myself/enlightenment 101

  • Jeff Belyea
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 16, 2006
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "aideenmck"
      <aideenmck@...> wrote:

      > Hi, Ben
      >
      > I think what Jeff means is that it's not the experience of
      > clairvoyance that's the potential trap, but rather one's
      attachment
      > to it.
      > Is that right, Jeff?
      >
      > Aideen

      Yes, that and the fact that the "ego"
      can come with "imaginings" disguised
      as clairvoyance. And this can lead
      back to the place where we feel we
      have lost our enlightened perspective
      - back to "trying to figure out"...
      anything. Clarity has no questions.
      And, as you know, no attachments.

      Notice that Ben is still identifying
      himself as a seeker of enlightenment,
      rather than a "finder" who can simply
      attune to it.

      Jerry Wennstrom, in his book, "The
      Inspired Heart" wrote "The singular
      requirement of grace is to remain
      fearlessly attuned to the heart."

      Ramana Maharshi said, "The aspirant
      meditates to attain. The awakened
      meditate to maintain."

      In the Tibetan Book of The Dead,
      there is an admonition not to "follow
      the elephant tracks, once you have
      found the elephant.".

      So, my advice to Ben was to stay
      attuned to the heart - his beautiful
      experience that released him from
      anger and anxiey, and not enter
      a "wrestling match" with the issue
      of clairvoyance. Let it happen, but
      abandon it when it presents fear
      or doubt.

      Thanks.

      Jeff

> [...]
      > > I want to let you know that I am humble and realize
      > > how "green" I am... I am simply a person who has taken
      > > to the art with significantly more ease than others.
      > > Your help is greatly appreciated.
      > >
      > > Thank you for your response,
      > > Ben
      > > P.S. Do you know of anyone in the chicagoland area
      > > that is experienced enough to help me with such
      > > matters?
      > >
      > > --- Jeff Belyea <jeff@> wrote:
      > >
      > > > Hi Ben -
      > > >
      > > > While the mystic experience is rare,
      > > > this group most probably has several,
      > > > if not quite a few, who can relate
      > > > to your story from similar direct
      > > > experience.
      > > >
      > > > The shift to what you wrote of as,
      > > > "consciousness of everything" and the
      > > > clarity, compassion and comfort
      > > > (peace of mind)is a common result.
      > > > The clairvoyant part, and the
      > > > occasions of deja vu, are not as
      > > > common, but many people report them,
      > > > as well.
      > > >
      > > > My experience, personally, and in
      > > > teaching meditation for the past 30
      > > > years has been that the former level
      > > > of conscious of which you wrote -
      > > > that anxious, needy "former self"
      > > > - often referred to as "ego",
      > > > is very sneaky, and does not
      > > > give up its attempt to regain the
      > > > dominant position in our consciousness.
      > > >
      > > > "It" can impose upon our imagination
      > > > in the guise of clairvoyance. In
      > > > this way, it will play upon our
      > > > "spiritual pride" and can trap us
      > > > in a return to "vain imaginings"
      > > > that are not a product of our
      > > > enlightenment. This is quicksand,
      > > > and can rob us of the ground gained,
      > > > in great part. It takes keen
      > > > discernment and abject honesty
      > > > with ourselves to be able to spot
      > > > this distinction.
      > > >
      > > > This is when a mature teacher or
      > > > "guru" can help guide an innocently
      > > > deluded "seeker" who has egoistically
      > > > talked themselves into claiming
      > > > enlightenment or even "Guru" status,
      > > > (Jody and Bruce - members here, can
      > > > speak knowledgeably, and sometimes
      > > > a bit jadedly, about this) and newbie
      > > > enlightened ones.
      > > >
      > > > Even when the enlightenment
      > > > experience seems, and is "known"
      > > > as, absolutely complete, there is
      > > > still a maintenance that is
      > > > required to continue to reap
      > > > the harvest of this new level
      > > > of consciousness. It is easy to
      > > > ignore this, because the new
      > > > enlightenment is so pure and
      > > > powerful that it feel invulnerable.
      > > >
      > > > In great part, it is, but while
      > > > we are still living in the material
      > > > world (thanks, Madonna) we are
      > > > subject to a "warring" faction -
      > > > in our own internal lives - as we see
      > > > manifested externally in the worldly
      > > > activity of war in the name of God.
      > > >
      > > > A red flag for spotting this activity is
      > > > is when we feel a negative anticipation,
      > > > or stuggle. The ego feeds on struggle
      > > > and will step up the internal dialogue.
      > > > And this is the antithesis of meditation

    • Benjamin Buehne
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 16, 2006
        Thank you very much Jeff and Aideen-

        I understand what you are saying and will take
        the advice to heart. What you are saying is true
        Jeff... it has been a distraction and distressing...
        thus I haven't maintained very well. The truth is...
        if what I "remembered" is true or not really doesn't
        matter... as there is nothing I could do about it
        anyways. I must simply take my place.

        With Gratitude,
        Ben