[Meditation Society of America] Re: Introduction /enlightenment 101 continued

  • Jeff Belyea
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 16, 2006
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Benjamin Buehne
      <benbuehne@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Jeff-
      >
      > I think I understand what you are saying but I would
      > like to clarify. Basicly, there is a part of me, in
      > my nature, that retains this anger and anxiety.

      I don't want to to add confusion, but your "nature"
      is not angry and anxious. That is learned behavior
      and reactionary rather than original thinking.

      What you experienced (and experience) from meditation -
      the lack of anger and anxiety, the peace of mind and
      compassion; those are your "nature".

      While
      > I may have been clairvoyant before... what I am seeing
      > now may not, in fact, be this clairvoyance but this
      > anger and anxiety sneeking into my conciousness.
      > Possibly to frighten me out of continuing to seek
      > enlightenment. Is this correct?

      Yes. Clairvoyance may be genuine - up to a point. When
      the seeming clarivoyance produces anger and/or anxiety,
      that is a product of the "ego", the linear, rational,
      conditioned mind, doing exactly what you discribe above.
      When you experienced release from this, you where
      connecting to the genuine "you". As you "seek" enlightenment,
      the ego is threatened. But I wonder why you put the
      continuance of your journey in those terms. You have
      experienced enlightenment. Rather than seek it, just
      accept it and let it "present itself" to you. This will
      lead you to an effortless, productive and joyful life.

      > Also, how can such a thing "rob us from ground
      > gained"? What do you need to do in order to avoid
      > such a thing?

      Clarivoyance or any "gift" or "powers" are toys compared
      to enlightenment. They are trinkets. When we become
      fascinated by them, we are in "leaving" the realm of
      enlightened thought and experience, and the more we
      allow ourselves to be swept up with these thoughts -
      those that are negative and anxiety producing, the more
      we "rehearse". See my previous
      paragraph. More later. My show is upcoming.

> [...]
      > > as
      > > > I had more of them.
      > > >
      > > > I heard about the effects of meditation and
      > > gave
      > > > it a shot. It worked fairly well for me... I
      > > wasn't
      > > > as angry and the panic attacks stopped. I made
      > > > meditation a regular habit although I didn't have
      > > > panic attacks, just to maintain. I taught myself
      > > how
      > > > to do this.
      > > >
      > > > One day, something happened though. I was
      > > > actually in college and studying for finals. I
      > > was
      > > > feeling stressed out so I decided to meditate. It
      > > was
      > > > then that I had what others have described as a
      > > mystic
      > > > experience. A conciousness of everything, without
      > > > thought. I was filled with energy afterwords and
      > > > sense of elightment.
      > > >
      > > > It was then that I started to notice changes
      > > in
      > > > myself. I wouldn't ever lose my temper. Nothing
      > > > really got to me... anxiety wasn't an issue and I
      > > no
      > > > longer had fears that I previously had. I went
      > > from a
      > > > C student to an A student. I felt more compassion
      > > for
      > > > others. Although I was raised catholic...
      > > previously
      > > > I hadn't been very religious. Afterwords I was
      > > > certain of there being something else...
      > > >
      > > > Having this mystic experience became fairly
      > > easy
      > > > for me. I would be able to achieve it almost
      > > every
      > > > time I meditated. It was at this point in time
      > > that I
      > > > noticed a clairvoyance. I had prior knowledge of
      > > the
      > > > future.
      > > >
      > > > Now many may call me crazy... but I work in
      > > the
      > > > mental health field and really experience no
      > > symptoms
      > > > of mental illness. This clairvoyance can be
      > > > described. It's like deja-vu. It is as if I
      > > remember
      > > > these things... although at times I need something
      > > > jog my memory (a trigger). Then, later... I watch
      > > as
      > > > things happened exactly as I had "remembered."
      > > >
      > > > This did disturb me however... I didn't
      > > always
      > > > like what I saw. For a period of time I stopped
      > > > meditating in hopes that this would go away... and
      > > > an extent it did. However, I was drawn back into
      > > > meditating and again took to it with ease.
      > > >
      > > > That brings me to why I am here... as again
      > > with
      > > > meditating I have the mystic experience. I again
      > > was
      > > > clairvoyant... which was fine until recently.
      > > > Recently , again, what I have seen has disturbed
      > > me.
      > > > I am talking about things on a global scale as

    • Jeff Belyea
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 16, 2006
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "aideenmck"
        <aideenmck@...> wrote:

        > Hi, Ben
        >
        > I think what Jeff means is that it's not the experience of
        > clairvoyance that's the potential trap, but rather one's
        attachment
        > to it.
        > Is that right, Jeff?
        >
        > Aideen

        Yes, that and the fact that the "ego"
        can come with "imaginings" disguised
        as clairvoyance. And this can lead
        back to the place where we feel we
        have lost our enlightened perspective
        - back to "trying to figure out"...
        anything. Clarity has no questions.
        And, as you know, no attachments.

        Notice that Ben is still identifying
        himself as a seeker of enlightenment,
        rather than a "finder" who can simply
        attune to it.

        Jerry Wennstrom, in his book, "The
        Inspired Heart" wrote "The singular
        requirement of grace is to remain
        fearlessly attuned to the heart."

        Ramana Maharshi said, "The aspirant
        meditates to attain. The awakened
        meditate to maintain."

        In the Tibetan Book of The Dead,
        there is an admonition not to "follow
        the elephant tracks, once you have
        found the elephant.".

        So, my advice to Ben was to stay
        attuned to the heart - his beautiful
        experience that released him from
        anger and anxiey, and not enter
        a "wrestling match" with the issue
        of clairvoyance. Let it happen, but
        abandon it when it presents fear
        or doubt.

        Thanks.

        Jeff

> [...]
        > > > enlightened ones.
        > > >
        > > > Even when the enlightenment
        > > > experience seems, and is "known"
        > > > as, absolutely complete, there is
        > > > still a maintenance that is
        > > > required to continue to reap
        > > > the harvest of this new level
        > > > of consciousness. It is easy to
        > > > ignore this, because the new
        > > > enlightenment is so pure and
        > > > powerful that it feel invulnerable.
        > > >
        > > > In great part, it is, but while
        > > > we are still living in the material
        > > > world (thanks, Madonna) we are
        > > > subject to a "warring" faction -
        > > > in our own internal lives - as we see
        > > > manifested externally in the worldly
        > > > activity of war in the name of God.
        > > >
        > > > A red flag for spotting this activity is
        > > > is when we feel a negative anticipation,
        > > > or stuggle. The ego feeds on struggle
        > > > and will step up the internal dialogue.
        > > > And this is the antithesis of meditation

      • Benjamin Buehne
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 16, 2006
          Thank you very much Jeff and Aideen-

          I understand what you are saying and will take
          the advice to heart. What you are saying is true
          Jeff... it has been a distraction and distressing...
          thus I haven't maintained very well. The truth is...
          if what I "remembered" is true or not really doesn't
          matter... as there is nothing I could do about it
          anyways. I must simply take my place.

          With Gratitude,
          Ben