Ecstatic Buddhism

  • Jhanananda
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 9 10:59 AM
      Hello friends you are invited to subscribe to an infrequent newsletter that
      is dedicated to meditative absorption and Ecstatic Buddhism. This
      newsletter will basically post a timely calendar of retreats that are
      dedicated to the cultivation of meditative absorption in any religious
      context, thus samadhi, jhana, fana, gnosis, ecstasy and meditative
      absorption are all terms that have been used for this experience.

      Ecstatic Buddhism
      A newsletter for the ecstatic contemplative and the Ecstatic Buddhist
      website: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ecstatic_Buddhism/
      Subscribe: Ecstatic_Buddhism-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Additionally, if any of you know of a meditation retreat that will be held
      that is oriented to the development of meditative absorption, then please
      let us know at the following email address:

      Ecstatic_Buddhism-owner@yahoogroups.com

      Maha-satipatthana Sutta (DN 22.21)
      "And what is meditative absorption (sama-samadhi)? There is the case where a
      contemplative; who is withdrawn from sensory phenomena, and withdrawn from
      unwholesome mental states; enters upon and abides in the first meditative
      absorption state (jhana), which is accompanied by bliss (piiti) and joy
      (sukha) originating from withdrawal...² (through fourth jhana).
      http://www.greatwesternvehicle.org/mahasatipatthanasutta.htm

      The contemplative Jeffrey S, Brooks
      (Jhananda)
      the Great Western Vehicle
      PO Box 41795
      Tucson, AZ 85717
      http://www.becomepeace.org/

      (((((((((((((((((((0))))))))))))))))))))
    • Era Molnar
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 10 2:03 PM

        http://www.becomepeace.org/

        From here the Url works without the www.

        > http://becomepeace.org/

        love, Era

        > (((((((((((((((((((0))))))))))))))))))))

      • Jeffrey S. Brooks
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 22, 2006
          Hello Era, Nirodha, Adam and Greg thank-you ever so much for posting
          your kind and supportive comments regarding the importance of
          cultivating meditative absorption. Thank-you Era for the heads up on
          the URL. I enjoyed reading Nirodha's post Science of Self-Realization
          - Patanjali's Yoga Sutras by Roy Eugene.

          I very much enjoyed reading Adam West's post regarding AZIZ KRISTOF in
          which he comments on "The Dangers of Pseudo Advaita now proceeds"

          I also very much enjoyed reading Greg's post regarding the
          conservative Hindu opinion of Westerners embracing Hindu philosophies,
          such as Advaita.

          "Westerners can never become
          enlightened and should not study Advaita.
          The best thing that Westerners can do is to live
          a good life and hope to be reborn in India -
          as a cockroach."
          http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/meditationsocietyofamerica/message/13907

          The Buddha's definition of the 8th fold of the Noble Eightfold Path
          Maha-satipatthana Sutta (DN 22.21)
          "And what is meditative absorption (sama-samadhi)? There is the case
          where a contemplative; who is withdrawn from sensory phenomena, and
          withdrawn from unwholesome mental states; enters upon and abides in
          the first meditative absorption state (jhana), which is accompanied by
          bliss (piiti) and joy (sukha) originating from withdrawal..." (through
          fourth jhana).
          http://www.greatwesternvehicle.org/mahasatipatthanasutta.htm

          Jhanananda (Jeffrey S, Brooks)
          the Great Western Vehicle