Re: [Meditation Society of America] Meditation advice - --

  • jodyrrr
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 7, 2006
      Swami Datta is the authority on Spiritual Conceits, his own.
    • trgallo12000
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 8, 2006
        To your thoughts they are indeed insightful. As to your conclusion
        to this you state that it is always great to give to God that which
        we can not give to others, and I ask how can this be? The bible
        states that to give is to give to God. This would make sense being
        we all our of God and we all our Gods. So the greatest gift is to
        give to all beings and to all life and open up and allow ourselfs
        to recive that which is God

        <dattapr2000@...> wrote:

        > Authority in Spiritual Concepts:
        > Whenever you make any decision, you have to follow three
        authorities: 1) Shruti i.e., Veda, Bible, Gita; 2) Yukti i.e.,
        logic; 3) Anubhava i.e., experience.

        > Ex:1) To learn philosophy, the world gives the real picture.
        Books may contain faulty knowledge, but the world contains only the
        truth. To know whether the concept in the book is right or not you
        must refer to the world. Any concept in the scripture should be
        discussed with logic and finally approved only through its
        experience in the world. So the purest love can be seen in the
        world. Suppose somebody loves and serves you without aspiring
        anything in return and his love is pure by all your tests, you
        imagine how much you are pleased! You will do anything for him. It
        applies to God also. If you serve Him without aspiring anything in
        return from Him and if your pure love passes all His severe tests,
        He will do anything for your sake. Love is proved only through
        service. Mere words and feelings are of no use. Service can be
        associated with words and feelings, like a plate of rice is
        associated with curry and pickles.

        > 2) In the case of idol and image worship, the Shruti
        says `Natasya Pratima Asti' (Lord will not enter statues). The Yukti
        is that one cannot make any inert object alive by any technique. A
        dead body cannot get life by the chanting of the Vedic hymn which is
        recited in the Prana Pratishta (life initiation). If you say that
        life has entered the statue by such Prana Pratishta, why can't you
        make the dead body alive by the same? The experience is that by any
        technique, we do not experience life in any inert object including a
        dead body. Therefore if you say that the life enters the statue, it
        cannot be accepted. Then what is the meaning of this Prana
        pratishta? Since you are rigid in not accepting the human form of
        God due to your egoism and jealousy there is no other way than to
        teach you like this. Thus, Prana Pratishta is teaching you that the
        human form with life alone should be worshipped by the sixteen
        modes.

        > 3) An employee does service for the whole month and he does not
        have to put in a formal request to the government to give his
        monthly salary. The salary is put into his account automatically. He
        does not beg for his salary by singing songs and weeping. Similarly,
        Hanuman participated in the service of Lord Rama in human form and
        got the fruit of His service, which was the post of the future
        creator of the Universe. He did not sing bhajans, chant hymns,
        meditate or shed tears etc., for the fruit. Therefore what is the
        use of these things without the service? An elephant is fed with
        sugar cane in a dignified way. The elephant does a lot of work in
        carrying big logs etc. A dog does not do any service and it begs for
        food by wagging its tail, by crying, by falling at the feet of
        people but it is not given food or at the most it is given
        leftovers. Therefore the knowledge and devotion should lead to
        service, which are like the degrees acquired by you. Merely for your
        degree,
        > no salary will be given. With the help of the degree you have to
        get a job and do service for which alone you can get the salary. The
        degrees will only help you to get a job but they cannot give you the
        salary directly. With the help of knowledge you can recognize the
        human incarnation. With the help of devotion you will come near Him
        and become dear to Him so that you can participate in His service.
        You get the fruit for your service and not for your knowledge and
        devotion.

        > Conclusion: It is always great to give God that which you cannot
        give to anybody. What is the greatness in giving that which you can
        give to anyone? People easily give words and mind and there is no
        greatness in sacrificing such things. It is very difficult to
        sacrifice the fruit of work (money). Therefore the greatness lies in
        sacrificing work or the fruit of work. The Gita emphasized on Karma
        Phala Tyaga in view of the nearing Kali Yuga. Soon after the
        Mahabharata war, Kali entered. Since the Lord knows that in the Kali
        age, money, which is the fruit of the work, is going to be the
        topmost item, He emphasized the sacrifice of money (Karma Phala
        Tyaga) everywhere in the Gita.

        > At the lotus feet of Shri Datta Swami
        > surya
        > http://www.universal-spirituality.org
        >

        > troy galloway <trgallo12000@...> wrote: Thank you for
        sharing this. I am new to this group but not to the practice. You
        are right on and would love to hear more

        meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "surya" <dattapr2000@>
        wrote:
        > > Meditation is continuous thinking of such knowledge and other
        interpretations are either useless or of little use.
        > What is of little use are your grandiose stylings designed to
        aggrandize your deluded sense of self as an incarnation of God.
        > Meditation is an effort to engender clarity. Musing about your
        divinity brings clarity the way the winter runoff clarifies the
        Mississippi River.