Re: [Meditation Society of America] Meditation advice - --

  • prakki surya
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 7 8:17 AM

      Authority in Spiritual Concepts:

      Whenever you make any decision, you have to follow three authorities: 1) Shruti i.e., Veda, Bible, Gita; 2) Yukti i.e., logic; 3) Anubhava i.e., experience.

      Ex:1) To learn philosophy, the world gives the real picture. Books may contain faulty knowledge, but the world contains only the truth. To know whether the concept in the book is right or not you must refer to the world. Any concept in the scripture should be discussed with logic and finally approved only through its experience in the world. So the purest love can be seen in the world. Suppose somebody loves and serves you without aspiring anything in return and his love is pure by all your tests, you imagine how much you are pleased! You will do anything for him. It applies to God also. If you serve Him without aspiring anything in return from Him and if your pure love passes all His severe tests, He will do anything for your sake. Love is proved only through service. Mere words and feelings are of no use. Service can be associated with words and feelings, like a plate of rice is associated with curry and pickles.

      2) In the case of idol and image worship, the Shruti says ‘Natasya Pratima Asti’ (Lord will not enter statues). The Yukti is that one cannot make any inert object alive by any technique. A dead body cannot get life by the chanting of the Vedic hymn which is recited in the Prana Pratishta (life initiation). If you say that life has entered the statue by such Prana Pratishta, why can’t you make the dead body alive by the same? The experience is that by any technique, we do not experience life in any inert object including a dead body. Therefore if you say that the life enters the statue, it cannot be accepted. Then what is the meaning of this Prana pratishta? Since you are rigid in not accepting the human form of God due to your egoism and jealousy there is no other way than to teach you like this. Thus, Prana Pratishta is teaching you that the human form with life alone should be worshipped by the sixteen modes.

      3) An employee does service for the whole month and he does not have to put in a formal request to the government to give his monthly salary. The salary is put into his account automatically. He does not beg for his salary by singing songs and weeping. Similarly, Hanuman participated in the service of Lord Rama in human form and got the fruit of His service, which was the post of the future creator of the Universe. He did not sing bhajans, chant hymns, meditate or shed tears etc., for the fruit. Therefore what is the use of these things without the service? An elephant is fed with sugar cane in a dignified way. The elephant does a lot of work in carrying big logs etc. A dog does not do any service and it begs for food by wagging its tail, by crying, by falling at the feet of people but it is not given food or at the most it is given leftovers. Therefore the knowledge and devotion should lead to service, which are like the degrees acquired by you. Merely for your degree, no salary will be given. With the help of the degree you have to get a job and do service for which alone you can get the salary. The degrees will only help you to get a job but they cannot give you the salary directly. With the help of knowledge you can recognize the human incarnation. With the help of devotion you will come near Him and become dear to Him so that you can participate in His service. You get the fruit for your service and not for your knowledge and devotion.

      Conclusion: It is always great to give God that which you cannot give to anybody. What is the greatness in giving that which you can give to anyone? People easily give words and mind and there is no greatness in sacrificing such things. It is very difficult to sacrifice the fruit of work (money). Therefore the greatness lies in sacrificing work or the fruit of work. The Gita emphasized on Karma Phala Tyaga in view of the nearing Kali Yuga. Soon after the Mahabharata war, Kali entered. Since the Lord knows that in the Kali age, money, which is the fruit of the work, is going to be the topmost item, He emphasized the sacrifice of money (Karma Phala Tyaga) everywhere in the Gita.

      At the lotus feet of Shri Datta Swami
      surya

      troy galloway <trgallo12000@...> wrote:
      Thank you for sharing this. I am new to this group but not to the practice. You are right on and would love to hear more

      jodyrrr <jodyrrr@...> wrote:
      --- In meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, "surya" <dattapr2000@ ...> wrote:
      > Meditation is continuous thinking of such knowledge and other interpretations are  either useless or of little use.
      What is of little use are your grandiose stylings designed to aggrandize your deluded sense of self as an incarnation of God.
      Meditation is an effort to engender clarity. Musing about your divinity brings clarity the way the winter runoff clarifies the Mississippi River.

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • jodyrrr
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 7 10:16 AM
        Swami Datta is the authority on Spiritual Conceits, his own.
      • trgallo12000
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 8 2:39 PM
          To your thoughts they are indeed insightful. As to your conclusion
          to this you state that it is always great to give to God that which
          we can not give to others, and I ask how can this be? The bible
          states that to give is to give to God. This would make sense being
          we all our of God and we all our Gods. So the greatest gift is to
          give to all beings and to all life and open up and allow ourselfs
          to recive that which is God