Re: Meditation advice - --

  • surya
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 19, 2006
      MEANING OF MEDITATION (DHYANAM)

      Some people say that meditation is sitting with perfect silence
      without any process of thought. Such a contention is meaningless
      because it virtually amounts to a nice sleep only. These people
      further misinterpret that such a meditation is concentration on
      formless God (Nirakara). Gita says that one cannot concentrate on
      formless God (Avyakthahi Gatih). The meditation of formless God
      becomes true if one concentrate on the true knowledge of God. Veda
      says that true knowledge is the real form of the Lord (Satyam Jnanam
      Anantam Brahma). Knowledge is formless. Therefore the formless God
      means only the true divine knowledge about the Lord. This is the
      correct interpretation of Sankaras philosophy. The great ancient
      Vedic sages sat in the formless meditation and this statement means
      that they concentrated on the divine knowledge (Brahma Jnana), which
      was expressed as Upanishaths in their mutual discussions (Satsanga).

      The actual meaning of the word Dhyanam is the process of functioning
      of intelligence (Dhee or Buddhi) and this pertains to the field of
      knowledge (Vijnanamaykosa). Some people interpret that meditation
      means concentration on the form of the Lord like the light blue
      colour, peacock feather on the head, flute in the hand etc., Instead
      of concentrating mentally upon such objects, one can see these
      things in a photo or see the objects directly kept on a table. If
      these things constitute the divinity there is no need of
      concentrating on these things. One can attain the divinity by
      applying light blue colour on his own body, by putting a peacock
      feather on the head and by catching a flute by hand. Such a divinity
      can be attained without any meditation. So meditation becomes
      meaningless in such a line. This is the reason why Sankara discarded
      the meditation of a form (Saguna Brahman). Ofcourse attraction by
      such things towards the Lord will help a person to develop the
      attachment on the Lord. One may be attracted to Lord Krishna by such
      things and then finally get attracted towards His divine knowledge
      as preached in Bhagavatgita.

      Such things may be initial promoters but the final is only the
      divine knowledge, which will help any one in his effort (Sadhana) to
      please the Lord. The divine knowledge resulting in the realization
      will impart a tension free peace and tranquility to the mind. By
      such state one will attain perfect health of body and mind and thus
      the benefit is directly seen here itself.

      Ex:- If one realizes that this gross body of the soul is only the
      external dramatic dress as said in Gita (Vaasamsi Jeernani), he will
      immediately realize that these family bonds are only the bonds in
      the drama. The soul forgets the bonds of the previous birth as an
      actor forgets the bonds of previous drama. If these bonds are real
      the soul should have remembered its relatives of the previous birth.
      Such a divine knowledge on memorization enters the nerves of a
      person and he will not have any tension about his family members. He
      does his duties without any trace of tension. This is the salvation
      while alive (Jeevanmukthi). Thus meditation means continuous
      remembering of the divine knowledge which yields the direct fruit
      here itself. Such a person gets a fruit in the upper world also. The
      only one Lord is the authority here and there also. Anybody blessed
      here will be blessed there also. If one is not blessed here he is
      not blessed in the upper world also. The grace of the Lord or the
      anger of the Lord is uniform here and there. One who is not blessed
      here cannot be blessed there. Thus the true knowledge blesses any
      person here and there. Meditation is continuous thinking of such
      knowledge and other interpretations are either useless or of little
      use.

      at the lotus feet of shri datta swami
      surya
      http://www.universal-spirituality.org

      "Adam West" <adamwest1@...> wrote:
      > Thanks Jeff! Much appreciated :-)
      > In kind regards,
      > Adam.
    • jodyrrr
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 5 10:40 AM
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "surya" <dattapr2000@...> wrote:

        [snip]

        > Meditation is continuous thinking of such knowledge and other interpretations are
        > either useless or of little use.

        What is of little use are your grandiose stylings designed to aggrandize your deluded sense
        of self as an incarnation of God.

        Meditation is an effort to engender clarity. Musing about your divinity brings clarity the
        way the winter runoff clarifies the Mississippi River.
      • daniel peter
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 6 4:27 AM
          Dear ,
          It's better for you to meditate upon this word of
          God.
          BIBLE MEDITATION:
          “Only rebel not ye against the LORD, neither fear ye
          the people of the land; for they are bread for us:
          their defense is departed from them, and the LORD is
          with us: fear them not.” Numbers 14:9

          DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
          Joshua and Caleb faced formidable foes in the promised
          land, and yet what was their response to their
          enemies? “They are bread for us” (Numbers 14:9). What
          is bread? It is the staff of life. What happens when
          you eat bread? You are strengthened by it and you grow
          by it. Paul even said, “For a great door and effectual
          is opened unto me, and there are many adversaries” (1
          Corinthians 16:9). Why isn’t the door to victory easy?
          Because if it were easy, then you would become weak in
          your effort to work out your faith in God. God places
          obstacles in your path to give you strength. Wheaties
          is not the breakfast of champions, giants are. God
          wants you to feed upon your difficulties and depend
          upon Him to make you a conqueror.

          ACTION POINT:
          What does it take to strengthen your body? What does
          it take to build your intellect? What does it take to
          grow love in relationships? Work. Read Philippians
          2:12-13 and apply it to your life today.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • troy galloway
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 6 6:46 AM
            Thank you for sharing this. I am new to this group but not to the practice. You are right on and would love to hear more

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 6 9:31 AM
              --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, troy galloway <trgallo12000@...>
              wrote:

              > Thank you for sharing this. I am new to this group but not to the practice. You are
              > right on and would love to hear more

              http://guruphiliac.org
            • jodyrrr
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 6 9:33 AM
                --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, daniel peter <princedanirock@...>
                wrote:

                > Dear ,
                > It's better for you to meditate upon this word of
                > God.

                Er... That's just one of the billions of words of God. They fall from
                each being's lips everyday. The Bible is no more God's word than
                the front page of the New York Times or the centerfold text in Playboy.

                > BIBLE MEDITATION:
                > "Only rebel not ye against the LORD, neither fear ye
                > the people of the land; for they are bread for us:
                > their defense is departed from them, and the LORD is
                > with us: fear them not." Numbers 14:9
                >
                > DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
                > Joshua and Caleb faced formidable foes in the promised
                > land, and yet what was their response to their
                > enemies? "They are bread for us" (Numbers 14:9). What
                > is bread? It is the staff of life. What happens when
                > you eat bread? You are strengthened by it and you grow
                > by it. Paul even said, "For a great door and effectual
                > is opened unto me, and there are many adversaries" (1
                > Corinthians 16:9). Why isn't the door to victory easy?
                > Because if it were easy, then you would become weak in
                > your effort to work out your faith in God. God places
                > obstacles in your path to give you strength. Wheaties
                > is not the breakfast of champions, giants are. God
                > wants you to feed upon your difficulties and depend
                > upon Him to make you a conqueror.
                >
                > ACTION POINT:
                > What does it take to strengthen your body? What does
                > it take to build your intellect? What does it take to
                > grow love in relationships? Work. Read Philippians
                > 2:12-13 and apply it to your life today.

                > http://mail.yahoo.com

              • prakki surya
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 7 8:17 AM

                  Authority in Spiritual Concepts:

                  Whenever you make any decision, you have to follow three authorities: 1) Shruti i.e., Veda, Bible, Gita; 2) Yukti i.e., logic; 3) Anubhava i.e., experience.

                  Ex:1) To learn philosophy, the world gives the real picture. Books may contain faulty knowledge, but the world contains only the truth. To know whether the concept in the book is right or not you must refer to the world. Any concept in the scripture should be discussed with logic and finally approved only through its experience in the world. So the purest love can be seen in the world. Suppose somebody loves and serves you without aspiring anything in return and his love is pure by all your tests, you imagine how much you are pleased! You will do anything for him. It applies to God also. If you serve Him without aspiring anything in return from Him and if your pure love passes all His severe tests, He will do anything for your sake. Love is proved only through service. Mere words and feelings are of no use. Service can be associated with words and feelings, like a plate of rice is associated with curry and pickles.

                  2) In the case of idol and image worship, the Shruti says ‘Natasya Pratima Asti’ (Lord will not enter statues). The Yukti is that one cannot make any inert object alive by any technique. A dead body cannot get life by the chanting of the Vedic hymn which is recited in the Prana Pratishta (life initiation). If you say that life has entered the statue by such Prana Pratishta, why can’t you make the dead body alive by the same? The experience is that by any technique, we do not experience life in any inert object including a dead body. Therefore if you say that the life enters the statue, it cannot be accepted. Then what is the meaning of this Prana pratishta? Since you are rigid in not accepting the human form of God due to your egoism and jealousy there is no other way than to teach you like this. Thus, Prana Pratishta is teaching you that the human form with life alone should be worshipped by the sixteen modes.

                  3) An employee does service for the whole month and he does not have to put in a formal request to the government to give his monthly salary. The salary is put into his account automatically. He does not beg for his salary by singing songs and weeping. Similarly, Hanuman participated in the service of Lord Rama in human form and got the fruit of His service, which was the post of the future creator of the Universe. He did not sing bhajans, chant hymns, meditate or shed tears etc., for the fruit. Therefore what is the use of these things without the service? An elephant is fed with sugar cane in a dignified way. The elephant does a lot of work in carrying big logs etc. A dog does not do any service and it begs for food by wagging its tail, by crying, by falling at the feet of people but it is not given food or at the most it is given leftovers. Therefore the knowledge and devotion should lead to service, which are like the degrees acquired by you. Merely for your degree, no salary will be given. With the help of the degree you have to get a job and do service for which alone you can get the salary. The degrees will only help you to get a job but they cannot give you the salary directly. With the help of knowledge you can recognize the human incarnation. With the help of devotion you will come near Him and become dear to Him so that you can participate in His service. You get the fruit for your service and not for your knowledge and devotion.

                  Conclusion: It is always great to give God that which you cannot give to anybody. What is the greatness in giving that which you can give to anyone? People easily give words and mind and there is no greatness in sacrificing such things. It is very difficult to sacrifice the fruit of work (money). Therefore the greatness lies in sacrificing work or the fruit of work. The Gita emphasized on Karma Phala Tyaga in view of the nearing Kali Yuga. Soon after the Mahabharata war, Kali entered. Since the Lord knows that in the Kali age, money, which is the fruit of the work, is going to be the topmost item, He emphasized the sacrifice of money (Karma Phala Tyaga) everywhere in the Gita.

                  jodyrrr <jodyrrr@...> wrote:
                  --- In meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, "surya" <dattapr2000@ ...> wrote:
                  > Meditation is continuous thinking of such knowledge and other interpretations are  either useless or of little use.
                  What is of little use are your grandiose stylings designed to aggrandize your deluded sense of self as an incarnation of God.
                  Meditation is an effort to engender clarity. Musing about your divinity brings clarity the way the winter runoff clarifies the Mississippi River.

                  Do you Yahoo!?

                • jodyrrr
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 7 10:16 AM
                    Swami Datta is the authority on Spiritual Conceits, his own.
                  • trgallo12000
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 8 2:39 PM
                      To your thoughts they are indeed insightful. As to your conclusion
                      to this you state that it is always great to give to God that which
                      we can not give to others, and I ask how can this be? The bible
                      states that to give is to give to God. This would make sense being
                      we all our of God and we all our Gods. So the greatest gift is to
                      give to all beings and to all life and open up and allow ourselfs
                      to recive that which is God