Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Meditation advice.

Expand Messages
  • Adam West
    Thanks Jeff! Much appreciated :-) In kind regards, Adam.
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 19, 2006
    • 0 Attachment
      Thanks Jeff!  Much appreciated :-)
       
      In kind regards,
       
      Adam.
    • surya
      MEANING OF MEDITATION (DHYANAM) Some people say that meditation is sitting with perfect silence without any process of thought. Such a contention is
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 19, 2006
      • 0 Attachment
        MEANING OF MEDITATION (DHYANAM)

        Some people say that meditation is sitting with perfect silence
        without any process of thought. Such a contention is meaningless
        because it virtually amounts to a nice sleep only. These people
        further misinterpret that such a meditation is concentration on
        formless God (Nirakara). Gita says that one cannot concentrate on
        formless God (Avyakthahi Gatih). The meditation of formless God
        becomes true if one concentrate on the true knowledge of God. Veda
        says that true knowledge is the real form of the Lord (Satyam Jnanam
        Anantam Brahma). Knowledge is formless. Therefore the formless God
        means only the true divine knowledge about the Lord. This is the
        correct interpretation of Sankaras philosophy. The great ancient
        Vedic sages sat in the formless meditation and this statement means
        that they concentrated on the divine knowledge (Brahma Jnana), which
        was expressed as Upanishaths in their mutual discussions (Satsanga).

        The actual meaning of the word Dhyanam is the process of functioning
        of intelligence (Dhee or Buddhi) and this pertains to the field of
        knowledge (Vijnanamaykosa). Some people interpret that meditation
        means concentration on the form of the Lord like the light blue
        colour, peacock feather on the head, flute in the hand etc., Instead
        of concentrating mentally upon such objects, one can see these
        things in a photo or see the objects directly kept on a table. If
        these things constitute the divinity there is no need of
        concentrating on these things. One can attain the divinity by
        applying light blue colour on his own body, by putting a peacock
        feather on the head and by catching a flute by hand. Such a divinity
        can be attained without any meditation. So meditation becomes
        meaningless in such a line. This is the reason why Sankara discarded
        the meditation of a form (Saguna Brahman). Ofcourse attraction by
        such things towards the Lord will help a person to develop the
        attachment on the Lord. One may be attracted to Lord Krishna by such
        things and then finally get attracted towards His divine knowledge
        as preached in Bhagavatgita.

        Such things may be initial promoters but the final is only the
        divine knowledge, which will help any one in his effort (Sadhana) to
        please the Lord. The divine knowledge resulting in the realization
        will impart a tension free peace and tranquility to the mind. By
        such state one will attain perfect health of body and mind and thus
        the benefit is directly seen here itself.

        Ex:- If one realizes that this gross body of the soul is only the
        external dramatic dress as said in Gita (Vaasamsi Jeernani), he will
        immediately realize that these family bonds are only the bonds in
        the drama. The soul forgets the bonds of the previous birth as an
        actor forgets the bonds of previous drama. If these bonds are real
        the soul should have remembered its relatives of the previous birth.
        Such a divine knowledge on memorization enters the nerves of a
        person and he will not have any tension about his family members. He
        does his duties without any trace of tension. This is the salvation
        while alive (Jeevanmukthi). Thus meditation means continuous
        remembering of the divine knowledge which yields the direct fruit
        here itself. Such a person gets a fruit in the upper world also. The
        only one Lord is the authority here and there also. Anybody blessed
        here will be blessed there also. If one is not blessed here he is
        not blessed in the upper world also. The grace of the Lord or the
        anger of the Lord is uniform here and there. One who is not blessed
        here cannot be blessed there. Thus the true knowledge blesses any
        person here and there. Meditation is continuous thinking of such
        knowledge and other interpretations are either useless or of little
        use.

        at the lotus feet of shri datta swami
        surya
        http://www.universal-spirituality.org

        "Adam West" <adamwest1@...> wrote:
        > Thanks Jeff! Much appreciated :-)
        > In kind regards,
        > Adam.
      • jodyrrr
        ... [snip] ... What is of little use are your grandiose stylings designed to aggrandize your deluded sense of self as an incarnation of God. Meditation is an
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 5, 2006
        • 0 Attachment
          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "surya" <dattapr2000@...> wrote:

          [snip]

          > Meditation is continuous thinking of such knowledge and other interpretations are
          > either useless or of little use.

          What is of little use are your grandiose stylings designed to aggrandize your deluded sense
          of self as an incarnation of God.

          Meditation is an effort to engender clarity. Musing about your divinity brings clarity the
          way the winter runoff clarifies the Mississippi River.
        • daniel peter
          Dear , It s better for you to meditate upon this word of God. BIBLE MEDITATION: “Only rebel not ye against the LORD, neither fear ye the people of the land;
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 6, 2006
          • 0 Attachment
            Dear ,
            It's better for you to meditate upon this word of
            God.
            BIBLE MEDITATION:
            “Only rebel not ye against the LORD, neither fear ye
            the people of the land; for they are bread for us:
            their defense is departed from them, and the LORD is
            with us: fear them not.” Numbers 14:9

            DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
            Joshua and Caleb faced formidable foes in the promised
            land, and yet what was their response to their
            enemies? “They are bread for us” (Numbers 14:9). What
            is bread? It is the staff of life. What happens when
            you eat bread? You are strengthened by it and you grow
            by it. Paul even said, “For a great door and effectual
            is opened unto me, and there are many adversaries” (1
            Corinthians 16:9). Why isn’t the door to victory easy?
            Because if it were easy, then you would become weak in
            your effort to work out your faith in God. God places
            obstacles in your path to give you strength. Wheaties
            is not the breakfast of champions, giants are. God
            wants you to feed upon your difficulties and depend
            upon Him to make you a conqueror.

            ACTION POINT:
            What does it take to strengthen your body? What does
            it take to build your intellect? What does it take to
            grow love in relationships? Work. Read Philippians
            2:12-13 and apply it to your life today.


            __________________________________________________
            Do You Yahoo!?
            Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • troy galloway
            Thank you for sharing this. I am new to this group but not to the practice. You are right on and would love to hear more jodyrrr wrote:
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 6, 2006
            • 0 Attachment
              Thank you for sharing this. I am new to this group but not to the practice. You are right on and would love to hear more

              jodyrrr <jodyrrr@...> wrote:
              --- In meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, "surya" <dattapr2000@ ...> wrote:

              [snip]

              > Meditation is continuous thinking of such knowledge and other interpretations are
              > either useless or of little use.

              What is of little use are your grandiose stylings designed to aggrandize your deluded sense
              of self as an incarnation of God.

              Meditation is an effort to engender clarity. Musing about your divinity brings clarity the
              way the winter runoff clarifies the Mississippi River.



              How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger’s low PC-to-Phone call rates.

            • jodyrrr
              ... http://guruphiliac.org
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 6, 2006
              • 0 Attachment
                --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, troy galloway <trgallo12000@...>
                wrote:
                >
                > Thank you for sharing this. I am new to this group but not to the practice. You are
                > right on and would love to hear more

                http://guruphiliac.org
              • jodyrrr
                ... Er... That s just one of the billions of words of God. They fall from each being s lips everyday. The Bible is no more God s word than the front page of
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 6, 2006
                • 0 Attachment
                  --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, daniel peter <princedanirock@...>
                  wrote:
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > Dear ,
                  > It's better for you to meditate upon this word of
                  > God.

                  Er... That's just one of the billions of words of God. They fall from
                  each being's lips everyday. The Bible is no more God's word than
                  the front page of the New York Times or the centerfold text in Playboy.

                  > BIBLE MEDITATION:
                  > "Only rebel not ye against the LORD, neither fear ye
                  > the people of the land; for they are bread for us:
                  > their defense is departed from them, and the LORD is
                  > with us: fear them not." Numbers 14:9
                  >
                  > DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
                  > Joshua and Caleb faced formidable foes in the promised
                  > land, and yet what was their response to their
                  > enemies? "They are bread for us" (Numbers 14:9). What
                  > is bread? It is the staff of life. What happens when
                  > you eat bread? You are strengthened by it and you grow
                  > by it. Paul even said, "For a great door and effectual
                  > is opened unto me, and there are many adversaries" (1
                  > Corinthians 16:9). Why isn't the door to victory easy?
                  > Because if it were easy, then you would become weak in
                  > your effort to work out your faith in God. God places
                  > obstacles in your path to give you strength. Wheaties
                  > is not the breakfast of champions, giants are. God
                  > wants you to feed upon your difficulties and depend
                  > upon Him to make you a conqueror.
                  >
                  > ACTION POINT:
                  > What does it take to strengthen your body? What does
                  > it take to build your intellect? What does it take to
                  > grow love in relationships? Work. Read Philippians
                  > 2:12-13 and apply it to your life today.
                  >
                  >
                  > __________________________________________________
                  > Do You Yahoo!?
                  > Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                  > http://mail.yahoo.com
                  >
                • prakki surya
                  Authority in Spiritual Concepts: Whenever you make any decision, you have to follow three authorities: 1) Shruti i.e., Veda, Bible, Gita; 2) Yukti i.e., logic;
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 7, 2006
                  • 0 Attachment

                    Authority in Spiritual Concepts:

                    Whenever you make any decision, you have to follow three authorities: 1) Shruti i.e., Veda, Bible, Gita; 2) Yukti i.e., logic; 3) Anubhava i.e., experience.
                     
                    Ex:1) To learn philosophy, the world gives the real picture. Books may contain faulty knowledge, but the world contains only the truth. To know whether the concept in the book is right or not you must refer to the world. Any concept in the scripture should be discussed with logic and finally approved only through its experience in the world. So the purest love can be seen in the world. Suppose somebody loves and serves you without aspiring anything in return and his love is pure by all your tests, you imagine how much you are pleased! You will do anything for him. It applies to God also. If you serve Him without aspiring anything in return from Him and if your pure love passes all His severe tests, He will do anything for your sake. Love is proved only through service. Mere words and feelings are of no use. Service can be associated with words and feelings, like a plate of rice is associated with curry and pickles.
                     
                    2) In the case of idol and image worship, the Shruti says ‘Natasya Pratima Asti’ (Lord will not enter statues). The Yukti is that one cannot make any inert object alive by any technique. A dead body cannot get life by the chanting of the Vedic hymn which is recited in the Prana Pratishta (life initiation). If you say that life has entered the statue by such Prana Pratishta, why can’t you make the dead body alive by the same? The experience is that by any technique, we do not experience life in any inert object including a dead body. Therefore if you say that the life enters the statue, it cannot be accepted. Then what is the meaning of this Prana pratishta? Since you are rigid in not accepting the human form of God due to your egoism and jealousy there is no other way than to teach you like this. Thus, Prana Pratishta is teaching you that the human form with life alone should be worshipped by the sixteen modes.
                     
                    3) An employee does service for the whole month and he does not have to put in a formal request to the government to give his monthly salary. The salary is put into his account automatically. He does not beg for his salary by singing songs and weeping. Similarly, Hanuman participated in the service of Lord Rama in human form and got the fruit of His service, which was the post of the future creator of the Universe. He did not sing bhajans, chant hymns, meditate or shed tears etc., for the fruit. Therefore what is the use of these things without the service? An elephant is fed with sugar cane in a dignified way. The elephant does a lot of work in carrying big logs etc. A dog does not do any service and it begs for food by wagging its tail, by crying, by falling at the feet of people but it is not given food or at the most it is given leftovers. Therefore the knowledge and devotion should lead to service, which are like the degrees acquired by you. Merely for your degree, no salary will be given. With the help of the degree you have to get a job and do service for which alone you can get the salary. The degrees will only help you to get a job but they cannot give you the salary directly. With the help of knowledge you can recognize the human incarnation. With the help of devotion you will come near Him and become dear to Him so that you can participate in His service. You get the fruit for your service and not for your knowledge and devotion.
                     
                    Conclusion: It is always great to give God that which you cannot give to anybody. What is the greatness in giving that which you can give to anyone? People easily give words and mind and there is no greatness in sacrificing such things. It is very difficult to sacrifice the fruit of work (money). Therefore the greatness lies in sacrificing work or the fruit of work. The Gita emphasized on Karma Phala Tyaga in view of the nearing Kali Yuga. Soon after the Mahabharata war, Kali entered. Since the Lord knows that in the Kali age, money, which is the fruit of the work, is going to be the topmost item, He emphasized the sacrifice of money (Karma Phala Tyaga) everywhere in the Gita.
                     
                    At the lotus feet of Shri Datta Swami
                    surya


                    troy galloway <trgallo12000@...> wrote:
                    Thank you for sharing this. I am new to this group but not to the practice. You are right on and would love to hear more

                    jodyrrr <jodyrrr@...> wrote:
                    --- In meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, "surya" <dattapr2000@ ...> wrote:
                    > Meditation is continuous thinking of such knowledge and other interpretations are  either useless or of little use.
                    What is of little use are your grandiose stylings designed to aggrandize your deluded sense of self as an incarnation of God.
                    Meditation is an effort to engender clarity. Musing about your divinity brings clarity the way the winter runoff clarifies the Mississippi River.


                    Do you Yahoo!?
                    Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.

                  • jodyrrr
                    Swami Datta is the authority on Spiritual Conceits, his own.
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 7, 2006
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Swami Datta is the authority on Spiritual Conceits, his own.
                    • trgallo12000
                      To your thoughts they are indeed insightful. As to your conclusion to this you state that it is always great to give to God that which we can not give to
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 8, 2006
                      • 0 Attachment
                        To your thoughts they are indeed insightful. As to your conclusion
                        to this you state that it is always great to give to God that which
                        we can not give to others, and I ask how can this be? The bible
                        states that to give is to give to God. This would make sense being
                        we all our of God and we all our Gods. So the greatest gift is to
                        give to all beings and to all life and open up and allow ourselfs
                        to recive that which is God





                        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, prakki surya
                        <dattapr2000@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > Authority in Spiritual Concepts:
                        > Whenever you make any decision, you have to follow three
                        authorities: 1) Shruti i.e., Veda, Bible, Gita; 2) Yukti i.e.,
                        logic; 3) Anubhava i.e., experience.
                        >
                        > Ex:1) To learn philosophy, the world gives the real picture.
                        Books may contain faulty knowledge, but the world contains only the
                        truth. To know whether the concept in the book is right or not you
                        must refer to the world. Any concept in the scripture should be
                        discussed with logic and finally approved only through its
                        experience in the world. So the purest love can be seen in the
                        world. Suppose somebody loves and serves you without aspiring
                        anything in return and his love is pure by all your tests, you
                        imagine how much you are pleased! You will do anything for him. It
                        applies to God also. If you serve Him without aspiring anything in
                        return from Him and if your pure love passes all His severe tests,
                        He will do anything for your sake. Love is proved only through
                        service. Mere words and feelings are of no use. Service can be
                        associated with words and feelings, like a plate of rice is
                        associated with curry and pickles.
                        >
                        > 2) In the case of idol and image worship, the Shruti
                        says `Natasya Pratima Asti' (Lord will not enter statues). The Yukti
                        is that one cannot make any inert object alive by any technique. A
                        dead body cannot get life by the chanting of the Vedic hymn which is
                        recited in the Prana Pratishta (life initiation). If you say that
                        life has entered the statue by such Prana Pratishta, why can't you
                        make the dead body alive by the same? The experience is that by any
                        technique, we do not experience life in any inert object including a
                        dead body. Therefore if you say that the life enters the statue, it
                        cannot be accepted. Then what is the meaning of this Prana
                        pratishta? Since you are rigid in not accepting the human form of
                        God due to your egoism and jealousy there is no other way than to
                        teach you like this. Thus, Prana Pratishta is teaching you that the
                        human form with life alone should be worshipped by the sixteen
                        modes.
                        >
                        > 3) An employee does service for the whole month and he does not
                        have to put in a formal request to the government to give his
                        monthly salary. The salary is put into his account automatically. He
                        does not beg for his salary by singing songs and weeping. Similarly,
                        Hanuman participated in the service of Lord Rama in human form and
                        got the fruit of His service, which was the post of the future
                        creator of the Universe. He did not sing bhajans, chant hymns,
                        meditate or shed tears etc., for the fruit. Therefore what is the
                        use of these things without the service? An elephant is fed with
                        sugar cane in a dignified way. The elephant does a lot of work in
                        carrying big logs etc. A dog does not do any service and it begs for
                        food by wagging its tail, by crying, by falling at the feet of
                        people but it is not given food or at the most it is given
                        leftovers. Therefore the knowledge and devotion should lead to
                        service, which are like the degrees acquired by you. Merely for your
                        degree,
                        > no salary will be given. With the help of the degree you have to
                        get a job and do service for which alone you can get the salary. The
                        degrees will only help you to get a job but they cannot give you the
                        salary directly. With the help of knowledge you can recognize the
                        human incarnation. With the help of devotion you will come near Him
                        and become dear to Him so that you can participate in His service.
                        You get the fruit for your service and not for your knowledge and
                        devotion.
                        >
                        > Conclusion: It is always great to give God that which you cannot
                        give to anybody. What is the greatness in giving that which you can
                        give to anyone? People easily give words and mind and there is no
                        greatness in sacrificing such things. It is very difficult to
                        sacrifice the fruit of work (money). Therefore the greatness lies in
                        sacrificing work or the fruit of work. The Gita emphasized on Karma
                        Phala Tyaga in view of the nearing Kali Yuga. Soon after the
                        Mahabharata war, Kali entered. Since the Lord knows that in the Kali
                        age, money, which is the fruit of the work, is going to be the
                        topmost item, He emphasized the sacrifice of money (Karma Phala
                        Tyaga) everywhere in the Gita.
                        >
                        > At the lotus feet of Shri Datta Swami
                        > surya
                        > http://www.universal-spirituality.org
                        >
                        >
                        > troy galloway <trgallo12000@...> wrote: Thank you for
                        sharing this. I am new to this group but not to the practice. You
                        are right on and would love to hear more
                        >
                        > jodyrrr <jodyrrr@...> wrote: --- In
                        meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "surya" <dattapr2000@>
                        wrote:
                        > > Meditation is continuous thinking of such knowledge and other
                        interpretations are either useless or of little use.
                        > What is of little use are your grandiose stylings designed to
                        aggrandize your deluded sense of self as an incarnation of God.
                        > Meditation is an effort to engender clarity. Musing about your
                        divinity brings clarity the way the winter runoff clarifies the
                        Mississippi River.
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        > ---------------------------------
                        > Do you Yahoo!?
                        > Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.
                        >
                      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.