The wrong kind of emptiness question

  • Stephen Johnston
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 19, 2006
      Hi,

      I have found meditation to be immensely beneficial in terms of my
      relationships with other people, my ability to be compassionate and
      loving, and to increase my sense of personal well-being. Most of the
      time my mood is much better than it used to be, and I'm regaining some
      of that lost wonder of childhood.

      HOWEVER, sometimes I feel that my meditating is also creating sporadic
      feelings of emptiness (not the right kind) and deadness of emotion. And
      although I am geberally more patient and loving than I have ever been,
      when these episodes hit I can become quite irritable.

      Has anybody else experienced this?

      Regards,

      Stephen
    • Jeff Belyea
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 19, 2006
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen
        Johnston" <stephen.johnston@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I have found meditation to be immensely beneficial in terms of my
        > relationships with other people, my ability to be compassionate
        and
        > loving, and to increase my sense of personal well-being. Most of
        the
        > time my mood is much better than it used to be, and I'm regaining
        some
        > of that lost wonder of childhood.
        >
        > HOWEVER, sometimes I feel that my meditating is also creating
        sporadic
        > feelings of emptiness (not the right kind) and deadness of
        emotion. And
        > although I am geberally more patient and loving than I have ever
        been,
        > when these episodes hit I can become quite irritable.
        >
        > Has anybody else experienced this?
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Stephen

        Hi Stephen -

        Here's an opinion: The benefits
        of meditation that you have experienced
        are wonderful, as you know. There is
        also an experience of meditation that is
        dramatic and sometimes startling (in
        the right way). A prelude to this
        sudden in rush of insight or wisdom
        is often this feelng of emptiness,
        tinged with a free-floating sense of
        fear of dread. This is the "ego", or
        an aspect of ego, that has exerted
        control over our identity to the
        point that we feel that our very
        being is essentially our thoughts,
        senses and emotions. As we approach
        the absolute silence of meditation,
        another identity begins to emerge.
        This "threatens" our previously
        held sense of self. But if you
        stay with it, it will emerge, and
        the threatened self of self (small
        s) will be delighted to be "visited"
        by the higher Self (big S). And
        now, a new identity is superimposed
        over our older, and now relegated
        to secondary, identity. We have
        become whole. It's an incredible
        joy, an astounding rush. Stick
        with it.

        Jeff
      • Stephen Johnston
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 19, 2006
          Hi Jeff,

          Thhat sounds very interesting, and might describe what is happening.
          It feels right intuitively, but the only thing that keeps from
          saying "Yes! That's it!" is the fact that I have only been meditating
          for a couple of months. However, I did have a sort of spiritual
          experience a few months ago that spontaneously created the feelings I
          now associate with meditation, so perhaps something along those lines
          really is happening.

          Thanks for your insightful response.

          Regards,

          Stephen

          > Here's an opinion: The benefits
          > of meditation that you have experienced
          > are wonderful, as you know. There is
          > also an experience of meditation that is
          > dramatic and sometimes startling (in
          > the right way). A prelude to this
          > sudden in rush of insight or wisdom
          > is often this feelng of emptiness,