Science of Self-Realization - Patanjali's Yoga Sutras by Roy Eugene Davis

  • Bill Gray
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 12, 2006
      Hi friends,

      I picked up a copy of the following today and thought some of you might find it useful:

      Science of Self-Realization : A Guide to Spiritual Practice in the Kriya Yoga Tradition -- Patanjali's Yoga-Sutras
      (New Translation, with Commentary) by Roy Eugene Davis (2004)

      Contents:
      Part One -- Samadhi (Superconscious States and How to Experience Them); Kriya Yoga (Intensive Spiritual Practice); Siddhis (Exceptional Powers of Perception and Extraordinary Abilities); Liberation of Consciousness (The Culmination of Right Practice).

      Part Two -- The Shandilya Upanishad (A rare kriya yoga text); The Inner Meaning of the Bhagavad Gita.

      Part Three -- Meditation Techniques and Routines For All Levels of practices; Answers to Questions About the Spiritual Path; Glossary.

      The book is cloth-bound and slim, therefore easily fitting into a briefcase or backpack without a problem. Mr. Davis' comments are brief, and he suggest that one can and will develop their own insights into the Yoga Sutras as one progresses - he's not leading the reader around by the nose, much to his credit.

      It is available from Gazelle Book Services and the Center for Spiritual Awareness -- the organization Roy founded -- for $10 US.

      I don't know much about Roy, other than the brief information I could find on the Internet, but he doesn't appear to be some messianic nut-job on a cult-building crusade. Supposedly, he was a direct disciple of Paramahansa Yogananda -- founder of the Self Realization Fellowship -- and was ordained by him in 1951.

      Here's a hyper-link to Wikipedia's brief biography of him: Roy Eugene Davis - From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

      If some of you do happen to obtain a copy this book, you may wish to do a comparison of Mr. Davis' translation of the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali with that of our own dear Jhanananda's, as well as those of other translators. These are available at the following:

      GWV - Yoga and Vedic Literature Resources

      I feel it is useful when studying ancient texts -- Buddhist, Yogic or otherwise -- to compare several translations, as most translators will display bias and comparative analysis is the best way to overcome this.

      Happiness and Ease to you all,
      Nirodha (Bill Gray)