the principal---a moral question

  • Aquarius7779311
    Message 1 of 2 , May 27, 2006
      Hi everyone,
      I don't know if this is the right forum to ask this question, but I
      believe you are definitely the right people to answer it.
      I am trying to make a decision based on the right thing to do and
      not my right to seek vengeance. I have come so far in being a better
      person and don't want to create new negative karma!

      Here's the deal. I am a school counselor. I was employed this year
      under a federal grant at a local school. A few months into the
      school year, my principal informs me that she needs me to teach a
      class. Even though I am a certified teacher, I had no desire to
      teach, but did so because I did not want to get on this woman's bad
      side.
      A couple of months down the line, when speaking to the administrator
      of the grant that funds my position, he informs me that it is a
      violation of the federal grant to do anything but counseling and
      that I must stop immediately.
      I convey this new info to my principal. She tells me (in a
      conversation that I recorded) that she would rather lose the grant
      than have me stop teaching. In that same recorded conversation,
      she makes fun of one of the students with a speech impediment.
      Fast forward, we are now in May. The principal has forced 2 people
      to resign, 2 to transfer and one to remain out indefinitely on sick
      leave. She is denying kids their right to special education
      services by not hiring a teacher to replace the one that has been
      out sick since December. For a few months she had them going to
      lower grade classroom to receive instruction with the younger
      regular ed classes. Imagine how embarassing it is for a 5th grader
      to have to sit in a reading class with 1st or 2nd graders. What an
      ego boost, right? And as for me, she is now using me as a teacher's
      aid whenever she chooses, calling me out of counseling sessions to
      take teacher's classes when they leave early.
      So the final straw broke yesterday during a faculty ceremony.
      Picture this. The ceremony is ending. The principal is at the
      podium. She has just finished glorifying her favorite staff
      members. I get up to go to the bathroom. The principal turn to me
      and in front of everyone, says "Sit down Miss ABC". I say, "Excuse
      me, but I am going to take care of a personal matter." The
      principal then asks me if I have a note. I laugh and say, "I need a
      note to go to the bathroom?" She then says, "Go on Miss ABC."
      Ok so not only has this woman humiliated me through out the year,
      but she takes one more stab at me in front of everyone.
      So please someone tell me, what is the right thing to do? I feel
      compelled to report her to someone for denying children their right
      to receive adequate instruction. Someone needs to stop her, but is
      it me and am I doing it for the right reasons?
      Message 2 of 2 , May 30, 2006
        "Aquarius7779311" <aquarius7779311@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone,
        > I don't know if this is the right forum to ask this question, but I
        > believe you are definitely the right people to answer it.
        > I am trying to make a decision based on the right thing to do and
        > not my right to seek vengeance. I have come so far in being a
        better
        > person and don't want to create new negative karma!
        >
        > Here's the deal. I am a school counselor. I was employed this
        year
        > under a federal grant at a local school. A few months into the
        > school year, my principal informs me that she needs me to teach a
        > class. Even though I am a certified teacher, I had no desire to
        > teach, but did so because I did not want to get on this woman's bad
        > side.
        > A couple of months down the line, when speaking to the
        administrator
        > of the grant that funds my position, he informs me that it is a
        > violation of the federal grant to do anything but counseling and
        > that I must stop immediately.
        > I convey this new info to my principal. She tells me (in a
        > conversation that I recorded) that she would rather lose the grant
        > than have me stop teaching. In that same recorded conversation,
        > she makes fun of one of the students with a speech impediment.
        > Fast forward, we are now in May. The principal has forced 2 people
        > to resign, 2 to transfer and one to remain out indefinitely on sick
        > leave. She is denying kids their right to special education
        > services by not hiring a teacher to replace the one that has been
        > out sick since December. For a few months she had them going to
        > lower grade classroom to receive instruction with the younger
        > regular ed classes. Imagine how embarassing it is for a 5th grader
        > to have to sit in a reading class with 1st or 2nd graders. What an
        > ego boost, right? And as for me, she is now using me as a
        teacher's
        > aid whenever she chooses, calling me out of counseling sessions to
        > take teacher's classes when they leave early.
        > So the final straw broke yesterday during a faculty ceremony.
        > Picture this. The ceremony is ending. The principal is at the
        > podium. She has just finished glorifying her favorite staff
        > members. I get up to go to the bathroom. The principal turn to me
        > and in front of everyone, says "Sit down Miss ABC". I say, "Excuse
        > me, but I am going to take care of a personal matter." The
        > principal then asks me if I have a note. I laugh and say, "I need
        > note to go to the bathroom?" She then says, "Go on Miss ABC."
        > Ok so not only has this woman humiliated me through out the year,
        > but she takes one more stab at me in front of everyone.
        > So please someone tell me, what is the right thing to do? I feel
        > compelled to report her to someone for denying children their right
        > to receive adequate instruction. Someone needs to stop her, but is
        > it me and am I doing it for the right reasons?

        Hi,
        When I first read this, I witnessed my mind send thoughts like "I'll
        hold her and you smack her" float by:-) But after I stopped laughing
        at myself, I rememebered a meditation technique that we shared in
        virtually every one of the series of classes we have held and that
        was reported to be beneficial by many of the students. It puts a non-
        victem compassionate perspective into play and that is almost always
        a full/fool proof way to handle things. It also is on our web site
        (technique #73) I hope this is helpful

        Forgiveness:
        There is a high, holy consciousness that loves you very much. It has
        been gracing you with gifts of love and forgiveness since your
        conception and continues to do so now. Before anyone, even your
        mother, your doctor, all the smartest and most powerful people in the
        world knew, this loving presence had given you the present of life.
        Just as it did when you were in the womb, this consciousness protects
        and nourishes you and causes you to thrive. As it gave you the energy
        to divide from one cell to many, it now allows your billions of cells
        to act and interact for your well-being. This is a gift of love that
        ignores all your sins and shortcomings and with every inhale,
        continues to replenish you with lifegiving energy. If this highest
        energy demonstrates its loving forgiveness with every breath, it is a
        travesty for us to not be forgiving of our and others actions.

        With every inhale, visualize yourself being filled with loving,
        forgiving energy. Inhale slowly and deeply and see yourself as being
        cleansed. Hold the breath as long as is comfortable and send the
        energy to every cell in your body, from your toes to your scalp.
        Slowly and deeply, exhale while visualizing every physical, mental,
        and emotional impurity leaving your body. With every forgiving and
        cleansing inhalation, retention, and exhalation, see yourself as
        becoming pure, glowing, whole and holy.

        When you see yourself as pure, visualize someone who need your
        forgiveness and send your compassionate, loving forgiveness to them.
        Pray for them to attain an awareness of their action and a gaining of
        understanding of the suffering they have caused. Forgive them in your
        heart and never carry this with you everafter.

        In your minds eye, see someone you've caused to suffer and send them
        your healing, loving energy. Pray that they realize they are
        receiving loving energy with every inhalation and that they grow
        spiritually to where they forgive you and all others who have harmed
        them. Pray that they learned from the suffering you caused them and
        thereby gained strength from your interactions. And forever after, be
        free from guilt about your transgression. You knew not what you were
        doing and now would never do wrong again. Just as the highest power
        in the universe forgives you with every breath, forgive yourself.

        With every breath, be forgiven and give forgiveness. Do this
        meditation every moment your have breath and gain eternal loving
        forgiveness.