Meditation as a Goal Achievement Strategy

  • Jeff Belyea
    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2006
      Meditation as a Goal Achievement Strategy

      Imagine a senior management team or a board of directors who are
      gathered together to make several important decisions. On the table
      are crucial matters that could change the course of corporate life,
      or even make the different between success and failure of the
      company.

      As the chairperson lays out the agenda for the meeting and begins to
      launch into a detailed analysis of the issues at hand, a loud "buzz"
      is heard in the room. The chairperson looks up from her notes to see
      that virtually everyone in the room is engaged in loud chatter, and
      no one is really paying any attention to her at all. As soon as she
      recovers from the shock of this surprise, she loudly demands
      attention. The room goes quiet. But after a few seconds, the buzz
      picks up once again. Once again, the impatient demand for attention
      is made. And once again, after a few seconds, the buzz starts up
      again.

      Now imagine this buzz, quiet, buzz scene going on in the boardroom
      for two or three hours. Unthinkable, you say. Just wouldn't happen,
      right? How could important decisions be made if most of the people
      in the room were not really paying attention, and their minds were
      on something else, except for a few seconds of intermittent focus?

      Would the scene be more easily imagined as possible and believable
      if everyone's "internal chatter" was somehow made externally
      audible? Now, that VP of Marketing who is worried about his son who
      just dropped out of college to take up his true passion, pottery,
      could be heard calming his wife, or himself, or raging at this son,
      off and on, through the entire meeting. The General Manager cannot
      keep his mind off that sweet young thing in merchandising who keeps
      flirting with him, and he is battling the urge to send her flowers.
      And the CEO keeps rehearsing his upcoming meeting with bankers
      scheduled for later that day.

      At a time when focus, clarity of thought, the and applied use of
      well-honed listening skills are critical, most of the great minds in
      that room are somewhere else, for the most of the meeting. Maybe
      this is part of the reason that we read that we only use a small
      percentage of our brain. We're rarely "in the moment" and attentive
      to the present for more than brief periods of time. Most of our time
      is spent reliving the past and anticipating the future, trying to
      steer the ship of our everyday lives in the right direction, or at
      least in a direction that will avoid disaster.

      Meditation is a proven and effective way of quieting of the mind,
      and the relaxation and stress management "techniques" that are at
      the core of meditation practice enhance focus, clarity of thought,
      and improve listening skills. When we learn to use the simple tools
      of meditation, we can consciously quiet the mind's internal
      chatter. In matters of goal achievement, meditation can take us
      to "the heart of the matter". With meditation, we can tap a quiet
      pool of wisdom that presents solutions and opportunities that the
      chattering mind misses.

      It may be some time before meditation makes it to the mainstream of
      corporate planning, but it is quite certain that there are
      visionaries in corporate life right now who are seeking out-of-the-
      box methods, intuitive means - and meditation is to intuition what
      pumping iron is to muscles, and creative leaders to open new vistas
      to them. If we (meditation practitioners and teachers) can overcome
      the old associated images of "yogis in saffron robes" as the only
      icons of meditation, and compliment it with the image of a clear-
      thinking corporate executive (or caring parent or spouse), we can
      bring a subtle, yet powerful means of improving individual and
      corporate lives. Now, where are those corporate visionaries who are
      ready to sign up their senior management team for meditation classes?

      Jeff Belyea, PhD
      Mindgoal Goal Achievement Strategies
      727-542-7117
      www.mindgoal.com