Beginner

  • hewhomodelgood
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30 6:23 AM
      Hello. I have just started trying to meditate, but i seem to have a
      problem with concentrating. Is there anything you guys can suggest to
      help me out?
    • AKBAR HIRANI
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30 8:03 AM
        Do not make conscious effort to concentrate, Just sit in relaxing posture, Develop a slow rhythm of breathing in and out and let it follow its rhythm. When the thoughts start creeping in just let them come and go like you do at traffic crossing  watching cars coming and going  but  doing nothing about them.

        Try this. It has helped me  so no reason why it should not help you.

        AKBAR.

        hewhomodelgood <clone222@...> wrote:
        Hello. I have just started trying to meditate, but i seem to have a
        problem with concentrating. Is there anything you guys can suggest to
        help me out?

        '' THE HORSE THINKS ONE THING
           AND HE WHO SADDLES ANOTHER ''. AGH.

        Message 3 of 4 , May 3, 2006
          "hewhomodelgood" <clone222@...> wrote:

          > Hello. I have just started trying to meditate, but i seem to have a
          > problem with concentrating. Is there anything you guys can suggest to
          > help me out?

          There is a technique on our web site that
          many of those who took our classes found to
          be a good way to learn to concentrate better,
          while also being able to watch this valuable
          and necessary to meditation skill as it gets
          better and better. It's titled "108 - an Easy
          Hard Meditation Technique" It can be found here:
          It is especially good for those who are very
          thoughtful/intellectual, but who have little or
          no control over their minds, and for those who
          need to sharpen their intellectual functioning.
          I also want to suggest that if concentration is
          not coming easily to you, simply watching your
          waves of thought, emotional feelings and physical
          reactivity has the same potential result of
          having meditation come to you. For many, mantras
          and watching the breath are also very good paths
          to better concentration. In any event, I urge you
          to persevere in your efforts. This will be rewarded
          with an effortless improvement in a moment or in a
          longer but progressively better way, but it will
          happen. I hope this will be beneficial to you.
        • subhash naik
          Message 4 of 4 , May 4, 2006
            hewhomodelgood <clone222@...> wrote:
            Hello. I have just started trying to meditate, but i seem to have a
            problem with concentrating. Is there anything you guys can suggest to
            help me out?

            What is the Purpose of Meditation?

            Meditation is a process. It is a process which we undertake to reach a destined goal, a predetermined goal. I don't say, "Well, this train is going; let me go wherever it goes! I will end up in Howrah, instead of Vijayawada, and there also I will get down only because the train has reached a junction or a terminus."

            Meditation is a training to apply the mind for the purpose of regulating the mind by our efforts. If it is automatically regulating itself, why should we meditate? We are already rishis! As Babuji said, the whole purpose of meditation is to make a reversal in this fact of life that the mind is our Master. We have to become the Master of our mind. It is only this much, just reverse it. But this we have to do, you know. It is like riding a horse. You have to ride it and train it. You cannot show a book and say, "Allow me to ride you properly. This is what a good horse should be!" You have to ride, you have to risk being thrown a few times, you have to ride it gently, but with total control over its reigns. You must be kind, yet you must be firm.

            The mind should be regulated by our sadhana; and this can be possible only by the initial discipline of applying it to meditation. This means that a little discipline is first necessary to bring about the bigger discipline and the ultimate discipline. So, this little discipline is what we need, first physically, that little discipline of coming to meditate first; mentally, that little discipline of trying to meditate on what we should be meditating upon; thereby achieving greater and greater regulatory control over our own mind; which leads to greater and greater physical discipline resulting out of that. Because it is the mind which feeds into the body its actions, its desires.

            Therefore, meditation is the most important activity, if we want to discipline ourselves. Because initially, it makes mental discipline possible; that makes physical discipline possible, regulating our lives; bringing order into it; generating more and more mental discipline; resulting in a self-sustaining cycle - you know some sort of cycle which sustains itself which makes our goal achievable. Therefore, without this little discipline, the goal cannot be achieved. So the goal is possible as long as we have some discipline within us.

            If there is no mental discipline, physical discipline cannot exist. That is why we meditate; to achieve regulation over the mind, make it disciplined, make it possible for us to apply the mind where we choose, apply it, not use it, apply it - and thereby achieve a 100% strength of the mind, which makes possible that promise of yoga , that a yogi will be skillful in anything he does.

            WHY WE DON'T MEDITATE ON OTHER POINTS? The point between the eyebrows - at this point there is a plexus, a yogic centre located which is responsible for distributing power through the system, the power of existence - shakti as we call it in Sanskrit. When one meditates here, one has the ability or one achieves the ability to control shakti as such. The same reasoning applies to meditation on the point of the nose, where we are told, you can acquire certain different siddhis, for instance the ability to see things which you don't see with the eyes, smell things which you don't smell with the nose.

            In Sahaj Marg , power has nothing to do with spiritual evolution. In fact one evolves to the highest and one has, one day, to slip out of one's body into the hereafter. All power, all other achievements are left behind here. So what does one do with power? Power is something that one uses so long as one is in this temporal world, temporal existence and it falls off.

            WHY WE DO NOT MEDITATE ON OTHER OBJECTS AND FORMS? How do I meditate on the Divine? My Master says, "So long as you meditate on limited forms, limited names, there is a limitation. The moment you say Shiva, he is only a Shiva, may be, with Trishul and this and that and the snake around the neck. The moment you say Vishnu, he is only a Vishnu." So my Master says, "Go beyond these forms, they are only functionaries of Nature. One is the God of creation, one is the God of preservation, one is the God of destruction. They are functionaries. The ultimate principle is that which you call the PARA which has no names, no forms no attributes." He has no form; so, we don't have a form. He has no name, so, we don't have a 'mantra' in our system.

            When we try to meditate with two systems, or two gurus, or two different warring things in our mind, even if one is good in itself, we are damaging ourselves. Therefore, bear in mind, meditation only according to the system - which ever system you adopt. If you want to take to Sahaj Marg meditation you should take to it completely, fully, to the exclusion of everything else. We cannot have two Gods; we cannot have two methods; we cannot have two concurrent currents in the mind.