Re: [Meditation Society of America] Digest Number 1542

  • Matt Ready
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26, 2006
      Anyone interested in teaching medititation practices online in a free voice powered forum?

      I would love to have these voice forums used for learning and promoting medititation.  My dream is to be able to listen to a guided meditation by different people all over the world every morning.  Let me know if you are interested.  You can see them in action on a ton of subjects at http://www.vaestro.com

      We have several forums on Non violent communication which is another subject I love to promote.

      Anyways, talk to you later.

      Matt

      On 26 Apr 2006 20:23:07 -0000, meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com < meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      There are 4 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

            1. Re: childhood meditation
                 From: "Salina" <salina_amey@...>
            2. RE: Re: childhood meditation
                 From: "Carol Ann Rowland" <carolann.rowland@...>
            3. Re: childhood meditation
                 From: medit8ionsociety
            4. FOCUS and Meditation
                 From: "Jeff Belyea" <jeff@...>

      Message: 1
         Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 23:30:34 -0000
         From: "Salina" <salina_amey@...>
      Subject: Re: childhood meditation

      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "pickle9499"
      <pickle9499@...> wrote:

      > My twelve year old son has expressed interest in learning to
      meditate.
      > Does anybody have advice for me concerning this issue?

      It is helpful to learn to meditate
      in a group situation, as the
      energies of the more experienced
      meditators provide an atmosphere
      conducive to establishing a state
      of inner quietude.

      Salina

      Message: 2
         Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 19:39:23 -0400
         From: "Carol Ann Rowland" <carolann.rowland@...>
      Subject: RE: Re: childhood meditation

      My kids would not particularly learn to meditate well in a group situation.
      They'd be likely to either be excited about being around the other kids, or
      to feel self-conscious (or a little of both :-)).  It may depend on the
      child - some may do better with a quiet place at home, and maybe with mom or
      dad present.

      A friend/colleague of mine teaches Reiki to children and also has a
      meditation CD that she has created for kids.  I have heard wonderful things
      about it.   A link for her website is:  http://www.reikikids.ca
      <http://www.reikikids.ca/>

      Hope that helps.

      Take care,

      Carol Ann

      FREE Zensight Energy Work Ebook & Ecourse

      <http://www.ZensightProcess.com> www.ZensightProcess.com

        _____

      <pickle9499@...> wrote:

      > My twelve year old son has expressed interest in learning to
      meditate.
      > Does anybody have advice for me concerning this issue?

      It is helpful to learn to meditate
      in a group situation, as the
      energies of the more experienced
      meditators provide an atmosphere
      conducive to establishing a state
      of inner quietude.

      Salina

        _____

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 3
         Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 15:49:44 -0000
         From: medit8ionsociety

      <pickle9499@...> wrote:

      > My twelve year old son has expressed interest in learning to
      meditate.
      > Does anybody have advice for me concerning this issue?

      Yo Pickleji,
      We have had many kids your son's age among the
      4000+ students we have had in the 18 years we have
      taught meditation classes at continuing education
      programs in the Philly area. Similarly, I now
      do some teaching with the group of 40 teen "behavior
      problem" girls I work with daily. Some have done very
      well in a group setting and we have also had
      some that did best in individual or small groups.
      Most seemed to benefit from guided meditations and
      many from relaxation of body parts-type techniques.
      Breathing techniques have brought great focus and
      serenity to some, and mantra's have also worked
      best for many of them. Almost everyone that I've
      shared Dr H. Benson's Relaxation Response with has
      found it to be very calming. So, I think it depends
      on what your boy finds he's most comfortable with.
      As I do with adults, I suggest that he checks out our
      web site's Archive section and actually tries any
      of the techniques that he feels drawn to. I expect
      he will be able to grasp the "how-to" instructions
      without difficulty. It is my experience that many
      young people have a greater ability to focus better
      than adults and thus have an easier time of learning
      to meditate. There may be a validity in the formula
      that states that the longer the time we have had no
      control over our thoughts, feelings, and actions,
      the longer it may be before gaining the Self-Control
      benefit of meditation. In any event, there is no
      better thing you can do for him, or he can do for
      himself than learn meditation (and actually do it!).
      I wish you well.
      Peace and blessings,
      Bob Rose, President,
      Meditation Society of America
      http://www.meditationsociety.com

      Message: 4
         Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 19:54:51 -0000
         From: "Jeff Belyea" <jeff@...>
      Subject: FOCUS and Meditation

      Everyone knows the value of focus, of concentrated single-minded
      attention - like keeping your eye on the ball. Yet, how easily we
      lose focus on our way to the achievement of a goal. That can be a
      sales goal, a personal, business or career goal. Those ol' lions of
      doubt and fear keep coming up in the form of internal chatter. You
      know the chatter: "You won't make it. The customer will say 'no'.
      She won't want to dance. You're not good enough, fast enough, smart
      enough,"...or some other "not enough" meant to discourage you. But
      why is that? Why do those voices persist?

      Well, there's all kinds of conjecture, from disfunctional family, to
      flat feet, to former failures that haunt your thoughts. Who knows
      for sure? No one. Yes, those lions of fear and doubt serve a
      purpose. They keep you from attempting to jump a big puddle in your
      new sneakers. Doubt says, "You might not make it." Fear says, "What
      will your Mom have to say about ruining the look of those new
      sneakers?" Fine, so far. But by the time you're an adult, the lions
      have no business jumping in on every new adventure or new thought
      you have about going for some goal...or some gold.

      So, what's this got to do with focus?  A lot. Focus, on its own is a
      worthwhile verb. But for the purpose of the rest of this post
      (article), focus will also be used as an acronym: F.O.C.U.S. =
      Fearless Outrageous Commitment to Unwavering Success.

      Here's a distinction to think about. I first came across it,
      listening to a tape by Dr. Barbara Sher. She used smoking, and the
      goal to quit, as an example. Essentially, she said that there is a
      big difference between those who "want to quit", and those who "wish
      they wanted to quit".

      Do you have a FOCUS, or do you wish you had a FOCUS? Are you
      fearlessly outrageously committed to unwavering success, or do you
      have a lack of courage and a surplus of waver? Let start with the
      courage issue, and how to get rid of the wishy-washy approach. To do
      that, we'll first come back to those lions, that discouraging (did
      you catch that?) chatter and negative self-talk. How do we quiet
      those rascels down? Now, before you let out that sigh, as though
      this were a rhetorical question. Stop. There are ways! With a simple
      process of "inner work", the lions can be tamed. And here it is, for
      your reading pleasure, and your lifelong companion:

      There are three steps. Step One: Stop and be. Just be quietly aware
      of the present moment. When the chatter starts up (which it will, in
      a nanosecond), return to simple quiet awareness - again and again
      and again. Look around your environment and suspend any internal
      narrative. After a few attempts at this, you'll notice a palable
      settling down and inner quiet that naturally moves you into a state
      of relaxation. Step Two is designed to lengthen the time in Quiet
      Awareness. Notice your breathing. Notice when you inhale and notice
      when you exhale. Stay in Quiet Awareness and overlay it with Breath
      Awareness. This will keep you in Quiet Awareness longer, make it
      easier to return and prolong the relaxation time. It takes practice.
      But the results can be astounding. Sounds too simple. But try it.

      One more. Step Three: After a few days, weeks, months or years
      practicing the Quiet Awareness with Breath Awareness (you'll know
      when you're ready - maybe), begin to "listen" internally. To
      localize this internal listening and move it from a vague listening
      to a stabilized contained listening, listen to your heart. Yes, your
      heart. A little aside here: The heart has neural cells (brain
      cells), and depending on who you read, a lot of them. So, listening
      to your heart may not be all that "cosmic". Also, keep in mind that
      when we think of someone who is wise, and kind and loving and
      compassion (those are on your list of good things to own, right?),
      we don't say they have a good brain. We say they have a good...what?
      Right. Heart. The heart can offer the brain a "wisdom whisper" that
      will change your life perspective like a thunderbolt! No words, just
      a new clarity about who you are, and what your purpose is in this
      life.

      That's it. Quiet Awareness, overlaid with Breath Awareness and
      later, Heart Awareness. To describe what will happen is impossible.
      OK, I'll give it college try: You will have discovered a wonderful
      stress management tool that at a minimum is a way to quiet those
      lions, that will pay handsome dividends in your business and
      personal relationships, and maybe even lengthen your life. The
      maximum is definitely beyond words and must be experienced directly.
      Enlightenment is bandied around a little too blithely these days,
      so I won't go there. Oops.

      Now you can move on to the "Outrageous". An anon quote: Be
      outrageous. It's the only place that isn't crowded. This is tied
      to "Commitment". You don't really need to have "Outrageous
      Commitment" explained. You know when you're outrageously committed,
      and you know when you're not. Same with "Unwavering". Now "Success"
      is something that you might think is different for everyone. Nope.
      Same for everyone. Oh, stop shaking your head. What's on your
      success list? Not the same as on mine, or your best friends, or your
      bosses, or your subordinates. But...what are the lists about?
      Yes, you in the back of the room? Right...happiness and contentment.
      That's the measure. Same for everyone. See? Good for you.

      Jeff

      PS: To help you remember the relaxation, or meditation, process, you
      might use the non-word "Q,Baha" as a "mantra" for a while until you
      can naturally flow with the Quiet Awareness to Breath Awareness to
      Heart Awareness. Some of my clients like to use "Q" as a...cue. On
      the inhale, they silently say "Q", and on the slow and gentle exhale
      say "Ba...Ha". Have fun with Q'Baha.

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/