Re: childhood meditation

  • Salina
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 25, 2006
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "pickle9499"
      <pickle9499@...> wrote:

      > My twelve year old son has expressed interest in learning to
      meditate.
      > Does anybody have advice for me concerning this issue?

      It is helpful to learn to meditate
      in a group situation, as the
      energies of the more experienced
      meditators provide an atmosphere
      conducive to establishing a state
      of inner quietude.

      Salina
    • Carol Ann Rowland
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 25, 2006

        My kids would not particularly learn to meditate well in a group situation.  They’d be likely to either be excited about being around the other kids, or to feel self-conscious (or a little of both J).  It may depend on the child – some may do better with a quiet place at home, and maybe with mom or dad present.

        A friend/colleague of mine teaches Reiki to children and also has a meditation CD that she has created for kids.  I have heard wonderful things about it.   A link for her website is:  http://www.reikikids.ca

        Hope that helps…

        Take care,

        Carol Ann

        FREE Zensight Energy Work Ebook & Ecourse

        www.ZensightProcess.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 26, 2006
          <pickle9499@...> wrote:

          > My twelve year old son has expressed interest in learning to
          meditate.
          > Does anybody have advice for me concerning this issue?

          Yo Pickleji,
          We have had many kids your son's age among the
          4000+ students we have had in the 18 years we have
          taught meditation classes at continuing education
          programs in the Philly area. Similarly, I now
          do some teaching with the group of 40 teen "behavior
          problem" girls I work with daily. Some have done very
          well in a group setting and we have also had
          some that did best in individual or small groups.
          Most seemed to benefit from guided meditations and
          many from relaxation of body parts-type techniques.
          Breathing techniques have brought great focus and
          serenity to some, and mantra's have also worked
          best for many of them. Almost everyone that I've
          shared Dr H. Benson's Relaxation Response with has
          found it to be very calming. So, I think it depends
          on what your boy finds he's most comfortable with.
          As I do with adults, I suggest that he checks out our
          web site's Archive section and actually tries any
          of the techniques that he feels drawn to. I expect
          he will be able to grasp the "how-to" instructions
          without difficulty. It is my experience that many
          young people have a greater ability to focus better
          than adults and thus have an easier time of learning
          to meditate. There may be a validity in the formula
          that states that the longer the time we have had no
          control over our thoughts, feelings, and actions,
          the longer it may be before gaining the Self-Control
          benefit of meditation. In any event, there is no
          better thing you can do for him, or he can do for
          himself than learn meditation (and actually do it!).
          I wish you well.
          Peace and blessings,
          Bob Rose, President,
          Meditation Society of America