Re: childhood meditation

  • Jeff Belyea
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 24, 2006
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "pickle9499"
      <pickle9499@...> wrote:

      > My twelve year old son has expressed interest in learning to
      meditate.
      > Does anybody have advice for me concerning this issue?

      Suggest your check out www.expandinglight.com

      This is a spiritual community that has been
      around since 1967 (a direct disciple of Yogananda
      organized it). They have families and young children
      who are schooled within the community and have
      experience with younger children and meditation.

      Prem Rawat (Maharaji, formerly Guru Maharaji) used
      to include children in his introduction to meditation
      techniques, but later decided to only allow those
      age 18 and over. So, it may be prudent to check out
      resources and correspond with those who are familiar
      with 12-year-olds who are interested in meditation.

      Jeff
    • Salina
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 25, 2006
        <pickle9499@...> wrote:

        > My twelve year old son has expressed interest in learning to
        meditate.
        > Does anybody have advice for me concerning this issue?

        It is helpful to learn to meditate
        in a group situation, as the
        energies of the more experienced
        meditators provide an atmosphere
        conducive to establishing a state
        of inner quietude.

        Salina
      • Carol Ann Rowland
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 25, 2006

          My kids would not particularly learn to meditate well in a group situation.  They’d be likely to either be excited about being around the other kids, or to feel self-conscious (or a little of both J).  It may depend on the child – some may do better with a quiet place at home, and maybe with mom or dad present.

          A friend/colleague of mine teaches Reiki to children and also has a meditation CD that she has created for kids.  I have heard wonderful things about it.   A link for her website is:  http://www.reikikids.ca

          Hope that helps…

          Take care,

          Carol Ann

          FREE Zensight Energy Work Ebook & Ecourse

          www.ZensightProcess.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 26, 2006
            <pickle9499@...> wrote:

            > My twelve year old son has expressed interest in learning to
            meditate.
            > Does anybody have advice for me concerning this issue?

            Yo Pickleji,
            We have had many kids your son's age among the
            4000+ students we have had in the 18 years we have
            taught meditation classes at continuing education
            programs in the Philly area. Similarly, I now
            do some teaching with the group of 40 teen "behavior
            problem" girls I work with daily. Some have done very
            well in a group setting and we have also had
            some that did best in individual or small groups.
            Most seemed to benefit from guided meditations and
            many from relaxation of body parts-type techniques.
            Breathing techniques have brought great focus and
            serenity to some, and mantra's have also worked
            best for many of them. Almost everyone that I've
            shared Dr H. Benson's Relaxation Response with has
            found it to be very calming. So, I think it depends
            on what your boy finds he's most comfortable with.
            As I do with adults, I suggest that he checks out our
            web site's Archive section and actually tries any
            of the techniques that he feels drawn to. I expect
            he will be able to grasp the "how-to" instructions
            without difficulty. It is my experience that many
            young people have a greater ability to focus better
            than adults and thus have an easier time of learning
            to meditate. There may be a validity in the formula
            that states that the longer the time we have had no
            control over our thoughts, feelings, and actions,
            the longer it may be before gaining the Self-Control
            benefit of meditation. In any event, there is no
            better thing you can do for him, or he can do for
            himself than learn meditation (and actually do it!).
            I wish you well.
            Peace and blessings,
            Bob Rose, President,
            Meditation Society of America