childhood meditation

  • pickle9499
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 24 11:20 AM
      My twelve year old son has expressed interest in learning to meditate.
      Does anybody have advice for me concerning this issue?
    • Jeff Belyea
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 24 3:13 PM
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "pickle9499"
        <pickle9499@...> wrote:

        > My twelve year old son has expressed interest in learning to
        meditate.
        > Does anybody have advice for me concerning this issue?

        Suggest your check out www.expandinglight.com

        This is a spiritual community that has been
        around since 1967 (a direct disciple of Yogananda
        organized it). They have families and young children
        who are schooled within the community and have
        experience with younger children and meditation.

        Prem Rawat (Maharaji, formerly Guru Maharaji) used
        to include children in his introduction to meditation
        techniques, but later decided to only allow those
        age 18 and over. So, it may be prudent to check out
        resources and correspond with those who are familiar
        with 12-year-olds who are interested in meditation.

        Jeff
      • Salina
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 25 4:30 PM
          <pickle9499@...> wrote:

          > My twelve year old son has expressed interest in learning to
          meditate.
          > Does anybody have advice for me concerning this issue?

          It is helpful to learn to meditate
          in a group situation, as the
          energies of the more experienced
          meditators provide an atmosphere
          conducive to establishing a state
          of inner quietude.

          Salina
        • Carol Ann Rowland
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 25 4:39 PM

            My kids would not particularly learn to meditate well in a group situation.  They’d be likely to either be excited about being around the other kids, or to feel self-conscious (or a little of both J).  It may depend on the child – some may do better with a quiet place at home, and maybe with mom or dad present.

            A friend/colleague of mine teaches Reiki to children and also has a meditation CD that she has created for kids.  I have heard wonderful things about it.   A link for her website is:  http://www.reikikids.ca

            Hope that helps…

            Take care,

            Carol Ann

            FREE Zensight Energy Work Ebook & Ecourse

            www.ZensightProcess.com

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 26 8:49 AM
              <pickle9499@...> wrote:

              > My twelve year old son has expressed interest in learning to
              meditate.
              > Does anybody have advice for me concerning this issue?

              Yo Pickleji,
              We have had many kids your son's age among the
              4000+ students we have had in the 18 years we have
              taught meditation classes at continuing education
              programs in the Philly area. Similarly, I now
              do some teaching with the group of 40 teen "behavior
              problem" girls I work with daily. Some have done very
              well in a group setting and we have also had
              some that did best in individual or small groups.
              Most seemed to benefit from guided meditations and
              many from relaxation of body parts-type techniques.
              Breathing techniques have brought great focus and
              serenity to some, and mantra's have also worked
              best for many of them. Almost everyone that I've
              shared Dr H. Benson's Relaxation Response with has
              found it to be very calming. So, I think it depends
              on what your boy finds he's most comfortable with.
              As I do with adults, I suggest that he checks out our
              web site's Archive section and actually tries any
              of the techniques that he feels drawn to. I expect
              he will be able to grasp the "how-to" instructions
              without difficulty. It is my experience that many
              young people have a greater ability to focus better
              than adults and thus have an easier time of learning
              to meditate. There may be a validity in the formula
              that states that the longer the time we have had no
              control over our thoughts, feelings, and actions,
              the longer it may be before gaining the Self-Control
              benefit of meditation. In any event, there is no
              better thing you can do for him, or he can do for
              himself than learn meditation (and actually do it!).
              I wish you well.
              Peace and blessings,
              Bob Rose, President,
              Meditation Society of America