Mixology

  • Jeff Belyea
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 22, 2006

      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 22, 2006

        > A great ploy of the advaita
        > speakers is to point out
        > the necessarily dualistic
        > error of relative language
        > in the expression of absolute
        > nondual perspective, in an
        > attempt to win the point.
        > Mega mixology!

        It's more an attempt to provide the most
        adequate interpretation of the text.

        > As a short aside:
        > When Bruce wrote of never
        > seeing a person "glow", he
        > was purposely practicing
        > mixology, yet, many of the
        > past master artists incorporated
        > a literal "halo" around the
        > head of holy men in their work.

        As was the custom of those who painted their
        visages. It points to their social status as saints,
        not necessarily to any actual halo that shines around
        them.

        > "There is no one to be
        > enlightened." True, in
        > the absolute sense of
        > nonduality. Yet, we are
        > living, breathing, typing
        > and communicating in the
        > world of duality. Even
        > attempting to express
        > nonduality uses the tools
        > (illusory as they may be)
        > of duality.

        That's why it always fails. There is just no possible
        way to describe with words. Any words used in the
        attempt fall well short, and can often only cloud rather
        than elucidate the truth.

        > In my recent "beams" I
        > mixed the use of light,
        > to the point of being
        > labeled "literal-minded".
        > (Which brought a beaming
        > smile). Yet, my intent
        > was to use "infused with
        > light", literally, because
        > of my personal experience
        > and the huge body of work
        > that references a similar
        > occurance...

        According to your interpretation.

        > and, I used
        > to be infused with light,
        > as in enlightenment -
        > removal of darkness
        > (of understanding) in
        > a manner of figurative
        > expression.

        Just like the Upanishads do.

        > It's a crazy, mixed-up
        > world.

        She's a crazy Ma running it.

        > Your friendly neighborhood
        > mixologist,
        >
        > Jeff

        --jody.

        VA (Vedantins Anonymous) member since 1986
      • Jeff Belyea
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 22, 2006
          <jodyrrr@...> wrote:

          <jeff@> wrote:

          > [snip]
          >
          > > A great ploy of the advaita
          > > speakers is to point out
          > > the necessarily dualistic
          > > error of relative language
          > > in the expression of absolute
          > > nondual perspective, in an
          > > attempt to win the point.
          > > Mega mixology!
          >
          > It's more an attempt to provide the most
          > adequate interpretation of the text.

          J: I'm sure in many cases,
          you are exactly right, Jody.
          Nice to see you in a gracious
          mood. I was referencing the
          "advaita-speakers", as distinct
          from the sincere sort to which
          you tip your hat. My ping is
          at who play the game without
          the proper equipment; LOC speaking.

          > > As a short aside:
          > > When Bruce wrote of never
          > > seeing a person "glow", he
          > > was purposely practicing
          > > mixology, yet, many of the
          > > past master artists incorporated
          > > a literal "halo" around the
          > > head of holy men in their work.
          >
          > As was the custom of those who painted their
          > visages. It points to their social status as saints,
          > not necessarily to any actual halo that shines around
          > them.

          Maybe. But it is curious
          that such a "thing" as a
          "halo" would find its way
          into a fashion statement
          on canvas. Why not an asterisk
          or an arrow with -> This is
          a saint?

          > > "There is no one to be
          > > enlightened." True, in
          > > the absolute sense of
          > > nonduality. Yet, we are
          > > living, breathing, typing
          > > and communicating in the
          > > world of duality. Even
          > > attempting to express
          > > nonduality uses the tools
          > > (illusory as they may be)
          > > of duality.
          >
          > That's why it always fails. There is just no possible
          > way to describe with words. Any words used in the
          > attempt fall well short, and can often only cloud rather
          > than elucidate the truth.

          My point exactly. And when
          the advaita-speakers speak
          from the cloud of unknowing,
          they are not adding clarity.

          > > In my recent "beams" I
          > > mixed the use of light,
          > > to the point of being
          > > labeled "literal-minded".
          > > (Which brought a beaming
          > > smile). Yet, my intent
          > > was to use "infused with
          > > light", literally, because
          > > of my personal experience
          > > and the huge body of work
          > > that references a similar
          > > occurance...
          >
          > According to your interpretation.

          And according to my heart resonance,
          when reading the words. Kind of like
          buying a new red 350Z, and then
          seeing another Z on the road. There's
          a connection of recognition, not an
          "interpretation".

          > > and, I used
          > > to be infused with light,
          > > as in enlightenment -
          > > removal of darkness
          > > (of understanding) in
          > > a manner of figurative
          > > expression.
          >
          > Just like the Upanishads do.

          Amen, and just like a lot
          of other text (and people) do
          so use figurative expressions.

          Jeff

          > > It's a crazy, mixed-up
          > > world.
          >
          > She's a crazy Ma running it.
          >
          > > Your friendly neighborhood
          > > mixologist,
          > >
          > > Jeff
          >
          > --jody.
          >
          > VA (Vedantins Anonymous) member since 1986

        • jodyrrr
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 22, 2006
            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Belyea" <jeff@...> wrote:

            > <jodyrrr@> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Belyea"
            > <jeff@> wrote:
            > >
            > > [snip]
            > >
            > > > A great ploy of the advaita
            > > > speakers is to point out
            > > > the necessarily dualistic
            > > > error of relative language
            > > > in the expression of absolute
            > > > nondual perspective, in an
            > > > attempt to win the point.
            > > > Mega mixology!
            > >
            > > It's more an attempt to provide the most
            > > adequate interpretation of the text.
            > >

            > J: I'm sure in many cases,
            > you are exactly right, Jody.
            > Nice to see you in a gracious
            > mood. I was referencing the
            > "advaita-speakers", as distinct
            > from the sincere sort to which
            > you tip your hat. My ping is
            > at who play the game without
            > the proper equipment; LOC speaking.

            They're everywhere.

            > > > As a short aside:
            > > > When Bruce wrote of never
            > > > seeing a person "glow", he
            > > > was purposely practicing
            > > > mixology, yet, many of the
            > > > past master artists incorporated
            > > > a literal "halo" around the
            > > > head of holy men in their work.
            > >
            > > As was the custom of those who painted their
            > > visages. It points to their social status as saints,
            > > not necessarily to any actual halo that shines around
            > > them.
            >
            > Maybe. But it is curious
            > that such a "thing" as a
            > "halo" would find its way
            > into a fashion statement
            > on canvas. Why not an asterisk
            > or an arrow with -> This is
            > a saint?

            It's a chicken or egg thing. Did the saint have the
            halo that someone saw, or do people see the halo
            because they saw it in a painting.

            > > > "There is no one to be
            > > > enlightened." True, in
            > > > the absolute sense of
            > > > nonduality. Yet, we are
            > > > living, breathing, typing
            > > > and communicating in the
            > > > world of duality. Even
            > > > attempting to express
            > > > nonduality uses the tools
            > > > (illusory as they may be)
            > > > of duality.
            > >
            > > That's why it always fails. There is just no possible
            > > way to describe with words. Any words used in the
            > > attempt fall well short, and can often only cloud rather
            > > than elucidate the truth.
            >
            > My point exactly. And when
            > the advaita-speakers speak
            > from the cloud of unknowing,
            > they are not adding clarity.

            Even those speaking from knowing are always
            hobbled by words.

            > > > In my recent "beams" I
            > > > mixed the use of light,
            > > > to the point of being
            > > > labeled "literal-minded".
            > > > (Which brought a beaming
            > > > smile). Yet, my intent
            > > > was to use "infused with
            > > > light", literally, because
            > > > of my personal experience
            > > > and the huge body of work
            > > > that references a similar
            > > > occurance...
            > >
            > > According to your interpretation.
            >
            > And according to my heart resonance,
            > when reading the words. Kind of like
            > buying a new red 350Z, and then
            > seeing another Z on the road. There's
            > a connection of recognition, not an
            > "interpretation".

            By way of the subjective resonance you experience. I'm not
            saying that's wrong in any way, just that it's the gloss of
            your individuality and that such will vary across the spectrum
            of individuals who know what they are talking about.

            For me it was a disappearing of what was unreal in the "light"
            of the real known directly. But that light had no "light" in it.
            It was clear, not bright, for me.

            > > > and, I used
            > > > to be infused with light,
            > > > as in enlightenment -
            > > > removal of darkness
            > > > (of understanding) in
            > > > a manner of figurative
            > > > expression.
            > >
            > > Just like the Upanishads do.
            >
            > Amen, and just like a lot
            > of other text (and people) do
            > so use figurative expressions.
            >
            > Jeff

            Any expression of the nondual truth is figurative, whether
            informed by knowledge or ignorance. It's getting caught
            in the figures that I see as a problem. So many are entangled
            in an idea of realization that they chase, when all they are
            really chasing is an idea that prevents realization. Hence
            my little tirades, etc., etc.

            --jody.

            > > > It's a crazy, mixed-up
            > > > world.
            > >
            > > She's a crazy Ma running it.
            > >
            > > > Your friendly neighborhood
            > > > mixologist,
            > > >
            > > > Jeff
            > >
            > > --jody.
            > >
            > > VA (Vedantins Anonymous) member since 1986

          • jogeshwarmahanta
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 22, 2006
              Is mixology a confuseology or claritology?

              regards,
              Jogeshwar

              <jeff@...> wrote:

              > Bruce raised an issue
              > that clearly casts "light"
              > on much of the difficulty
              > in communications.
              >
              > In the great majority of
              > debates or discussions
              > that take on a lawerly
              > tone, there is a mix of
              > literal and figurative
              > language. Beyond that,
              > or exacerbating that,
              > is a mix of relative and
              > absolute expressions, used
              > to negate (neti neti) the
              > others point of view.
              >
              > A great ploy of the advaita
              > speakers is to point out
              > the necessarily dualistic
              > error of relative language
              > in the expression of absolute
              > nondual perspective, in an
              > attempt to win the point.
              > Mega mixology!
              >
              > As a short aside:
              > When Bruce wrote of never
              > seeing a person "glow", he
              > was purposely practicing
              > mixology, yet, many of the
              > past master artists incorporated
              > a literal "halo" around the
              > head of holy men in their work.
              >
              > "There is no one to be
              > enlightened." True, in
              > the absolute sense of
              > nonduality. Yet, we are
              > living, breathing, typing
              > and communicating in the
              > world of duality. Even
              > attempting to express
              > nonduality uses the tools
              > (illusory as they may be)
              > of duality.
              >
              > In my recent "beams" I
              > mixed the use of light,
              > to the point of being
              > labeled "literal-minded".
              > (Which brought a beaming
              > smile). Yet, my intent
              > was to use "infused with
              > light", literally, because
              > of my personal experience
              > and the huge body of work
              > that references a similar
              > occurance...and, I used
              > to be infused with light,
              > as in enlightenment -
              > removal of darkness
              > (of understanding) in
              > a manner of figurative
              > expression.
              >
              > It's a crazy, mixed-up
              > world.
              >
              > Your friendly neighborhood
              > mixologist,
              >
              > Jeff

            • Bruce Morgen
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 22, 2006
                jogeshwarmahanta wrote:

                >Is mixology a confuseology or claritology?

                Yes, it seems. :-)

                On a more serious note, if
                anything approaching
                universal clarity were
                possible in mere words, the
                astonishing variety in
                written and spoken pointings
                toward the fact of nonduality
                would be quite unnecessary
                other than as some sort
                multi-millennial creative
                writing exercise. For some,
                the spare eloquence of a J.
                Krishnamurti serves, for
                others it may be the thought-
                stunning riddling of a Zen
                koan or the simple, achingly
                beautiful verse or a Rumi
                or Hafiz. Afaik, none of
                these is has ever been
                published with a warranty.

                >regards,
                >Jogeshwar
                >

                >--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Belyea"
                ><jeff@...> wrote:
                >

                >>Bruce raised an issue
                >>that clearly casts "light"
                >>on much of the difficulty
                >>in communications.
                >>
                >>In the great majority of
                >>debates or discussions
                >>that take on a lawerly
                >>tone, there is a mix of
                >>literal and figurative
                >>language. Beyond that,
                >>or exacerbating that,
                >>is a mix of relative and
                >>absolute expressions, used
                >>to negate (neti neti) the
                >>others point of view.
                >>
                >>A great ploy of the advaita
                >>speakers is to point out
                >>the necessarily dualistic
                >>error of relative language
                >>in the expression of absolute
                >>nondual perspective, in an
                >>attempt to win the point.
                >>Mega mixology!
                >>
                >>As a short aside:
                >>When Bruce wrote of never
                >>seeing a person "glow", he
                >>was purposely practicing
                >>mixology, yet, many of the
                >>past master artists incorporated
                >>a literal "halo" around the
                >>head of holy men in their work.
                >>
                >>"There is no one to be
                >>enlightened." True, in
                >>the absolute sense of
                >>nonduality. Yet, we are
                >>living, breathing, typing
                >>and communicating in the
                >>world of duality. Even
                >>attempting to express
                >>nonduality uses the tools
                >>(illusory as they may be)
                >>of duality.
                >>
                >>In my recent "beams" I
                >>mixed the use of light,
                >>to the point of being
                >>labeled "literal-minded".
                >>(Which brought a beaming
                >>smile). Yet, my intent
                >>was to use "infused with
                >>light", literally, because
                >>of my personal experience
                >>and the huge body of work
                >>that references a similar
                >>occurance...and, I used
                >>to be infused with light,
                >>as in enlightenment -
                >>removal of darkness
                >>(of understanding) in
                >>a manner of figurative
                >>expression.
                >>
                >>It's a crazy, mixed-up
                >>world.
                >>
                >>Your friendly neighborhood
                >>mixologist,
                >>
                >>Jeff

              • Sandeep
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 22, 2006

                  > > > "There is no one to be
                  > > > enlightened."
                  And thus there is no one or nothing................. who or what................. is not already enlightened.

                  The apperception of reality(to use a phrase) is the apperception that reality is not less somewhere or more somewhere else.

                  There is no gradations, there are no levels, there are no stages..................thus  there is no alpha and there is no omega.

                  And thus  no movement from a non-existant alpha to a non-existant omega.

                  Which is why, for the enlightened (using  the usual conventional speak).....

                  ......if there is an an "other".............other than himself/herself......

                  ......an other un-enlightened seeker.............. who has to be taught, ............shown the path, corrected, given clarity to.........etc.....

                  .....it is the same hoopla of any other gaming which dots that same reality.

                  And yet, dialoguing, communicating, discourses take place, have taken place and will take place.

                  The Jnaneshwars, Tukarams, the Buddhas, the Ramanas, the Rinzais,the Mansoods, the Arabis, the Nisargadattas...........and their specific unique lives......... have all occurred.

                  Is there a contradiction?

                  No, ...........as soon as it is apperceived,.............. that there is no investment, no baggage, no-to-be-achieved-agenda, with such a communicating.

                  There is no communicating taking place to achieve anything,........... whether that be clarity or transmitting of Light, Sound, Enlightenment or whatever

                  There is no communicating taking place between discrete, separated "selfs", ........one at some higher level and the other at a lower
                  (which would mean that there are gradations, differential levels to Reality).

                  And yet communicating happens.

                  Happens as a nuance of the moment.

                  Which needs a gestalt of dualistic poles, apparently separated.

                  Thus, speaking happens apparently through the distinctive vehicle  labeled as the "Sage"......... to.......... the distinctive vehicle assumed to be the "seeker".

                  But there is no "to" in this event-ing, .............the event-ing in which............ the speaking, the contents of the speech, the consequences of such a speaking.............AND......... the two apparently distinctive separated conditioned vehicles through which this functioning is occuring .....

                  ......are ALL nuances of the same eventing.

                  In the apperception of this.............who is then to seek to express clarity............... of what is already crystal clear?

                  Who is to receive clarity.......... of what is already crystal clear?

                  Thus the apperception................. that the communicating........... whether through a "Sage" or a through a "believing-himself-to-be a Sage", ..
                  ...along with the consequences of such a communicating....

                  ...just like any example of ANY functioning............making up the moment.......

                  .......IS IN completion,........ in itself.

                  In completion.........moment to moment to moment.

                  As an example............ the arising urge to "do" a meditation technique............ the arising is already in completion.

                  The external actualization of that urge into a specific physical action ,........ or the dissipation  of the urge into mentation.........is also in completion.

                  This entire phenomenal gestalt, .............which is an array of perceivable objects, .......

                  ......EACH existing as an mere image, as a reflection.........  in each other other.....

                  .......the entire gestalt apparently made up of tremendous movement, "becomings", change, .......

                  .......not a single aspect of it............... is not in completion.......... already.

                  Tremendous journeys were undertaken by you...........within the last-night-sleep-dream-drama.

                  Without you moving an inch from that 6 X 4 cot.

                  True, in
                  > > > the absolute sense of
                  > > > nonduality. Yet, we are
                  > > > living, breathing, typing
                  > > > and communicating in the
                  > > > world of duality.

                  In the "Yet".............appears the sense of distinction.

                  There is no "yet".

                  The non-dual reality IS the apparent dualistic world of living, breathing, typing,communicating,............ of cyber-space and Internet Gurus and the whole debate on whether practice non-practice, neo-advaita and classical-dirty-your-hand-approach,......

                  ...... the world of Dubya Bush and Bird-Flu, ..............of catastrophic genocide, ............and of romatic poetry, ..........

                  ......of flitting butterflies basking in the sun-shine and of two Dark Holes each of the size of 100 Million Stars, currently merging into one another in deep-outer-space as reported by NASA recently.

                  Non-Duality is never not the case..........while ever being transcendent to that very apparently dualistic expressing of itself.

                  The immanence and the simultaneous transcendence.

                  Just like the hoopla of the last-night-sleep-dream-drama, including all the dreamt-up characters,  including yourself,.......

                  .......the pathos, the ethos, the seekings, the successes of those seekings, the failures of the seekings, the loved ones and the unloved ones, the relatings, the joys and sorrows, the agony and ecstasy  associated with each of those relatings, ........

                  ........the experiences that you had which now define your own self-identity to yourself,.............

                  ..........the "Truths" that you have realized.......

                  .....in essence the entire hoopla of the last-night-sleep-dream-drama..............each and  every nuance of that hoopla....... was just you in expression.

                  While, ...........you ever transcendent to that hoopla, ...........being the one sound asleep and snoring in a 6 X 4 cot.

                  The immanence and the simultaneous transcendence.

                  > My point exactly. And when
                  > the advaita-speakers speak
                  > from the cloud of unknowing,
                  > they are not adding clarity.

                  The issue is not whether there is communicating which is adding to clarity, or which is not adding to clarity.

                  The issue is,................. for whom does it hold a relevance,................... that clarity can be added, through expression.

                  Or clarity can be subtracted, through expression.

                  Clarity about that, ...........whose very expressing................... is the expression in question.....

                  which is believed to achieve clarity or cloud clarity.

                • jodyrrr
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 22, 2006
                    --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
                    <jogeshwarmahanta@...> wrote:

                    > Is mixology a confuseology or claritology?
                    >
                    > regards,
                    > Jogeshwar

                    It can be an expression of either. There are many who speak from
                    speculation. Their mixology is an expression of confusion and
                    ignorance. But those who see things as they are and find themselves
                    wanting to express it, their mixology is an attempt to express clarity.
                    Unfortunately, clarity isn't expressible by language. But since language
                    is all we have, some of us make the attempt nonetheless.

                    --jody.

                    > <jeff@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Bruce raised an issue
                    > > that clearly casts "light"
                    > > on much of the difficulty
                    > > in communications.
                    > >
                    > > In the great majority of
                    > > debates or discussions
                    > > that take on a lawerly
                    > > tone, there is a mix of
                    > > literal and figurative
                    > > language. Beyond that,
                    > > or exacerbating that,
                    > > is a mix of relative and
                    > > absolute expressions, used
                    > > to negate (neti neti) the
                    > > others point of view.
                    > >
                    > > A great ploy of the advaita
                    > > speakers is to point out
                    > > the necessarily dualistic
                    > > error of relative language
                    > > in the expression of absolute
                    > > nondual perspective, in an
                    > > attempt to win the point.
                    > > Mega mixology!
                    > >
                    > > As a short aside:
                    > > When Bruce wrote of never
                    > > seeing a person "glow", he
                    > > was purposely practicing
                    > > mixology, yet, many of the
                    > > past master artists incorporated
                    > > a literal "halo" around the
                    > > head of holy men in their work.
                    > >
                    > > "There is no one to be
                    > > enlightened." True, in
                    > > the absolute sense of
                    > > nonduality. Yet, we are
                    > > living, breathing, typing
                    > > and communicating in the
                    > > world of duality. Even
                    > > attempting to express
                    > > nonduality uses the tools
                    > > (illusory as they may be)
                    > > of duality.
                    > >
                    > > In my recent "beams" I
                    > > mixed the use of light,
                    > > to the point of being
                    > > labeled "literal-minded".
                    > > (Which brought a beaming
                    > > smile). Yet, my intent
                    > > was to use "infused with
                    > > light", literally, because
                    > > of my personal experience
                    > > and the huge body of work
                    > > that references a similar
                    > > occurance...and, I used
                    > > to be infused with light,
                    > > as in enlightenment -
                    > > removal of darkness
                    > > (of understanding) in
                    > > a manner of figurative
                    > > expression.
                    > >
                    > > It's a crazy, mixed-up
                    > > world.
                    > >
                    > > Your friendly neighborhood
                    > > mixologist,
                    > >
                    > > Jeff

                  • Adam West
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 22, 2006
                      Hi all,

                          It is my intuition and interpretation from reading eye witness accounts from the everyday observation of "genuine enlightened saints" (what ever that is? - at least humans in temporary or permanent spiritual states of Divine / Self-Realisation - very, very rare, not the multitude of wanabes and their lesser psychic states) by relatively unbiased, non-followers and every day folk from cultures all over the world; it seems clear that a halo of light does indeed emanate from such people, which is perceptible by the physical eyes - as distinct from the temporary or permanent psychic sight of the observer.

                          So mine is a conclusion based on intuition, which is valueless to others, as it can be called into question by so many arguments, not least of all it is un-falsifiable; but also, it is a conclusion based on the meta-analysis of empirical observations.  Naturally, all of these premises can be called into questions, as can the validity and certainly the soundness of the argument; but, the documentation is out there if you bother to look.

                          I can think of plenty of documentation from everyday folks witnessing monks from the Eastern Orthodox Traditions, the Tibetan Rainbow Body of dying Rinpohes and practitioners, also the yogic and Hindu mystics; the list goes on and on :-)
                      In kind regards,

                      Adam.
                    • Jeff Belyea
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 23, 2006
                        Thank you for your non-attempt
                        to not add clarity. Got it.

                        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Sandeep
                        <sandeep1960@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        > hoopla....... was just you in expression.
                        >

                        > While, ...........you ever transcendent to that
                        hoopla, ...........being
                        > the one sound asleep and snoring in a 6 X 4 cot.
                        >
                        > The immanence and the simultaneous transcendence.*
                        >

                        > > > My point exactly. And when
                        > > > the advaita-speakers speak
                        > > > from the cloud of unknowing,
                        > > > they are not adding clarity.
                        >

                        > *The issue is not whether there is communicating which is adding
                        > clarity, or which is not adding to clarity.
                        >
                        > The issue is,................. for whom does it hold a
                        > relevance,................... that clarity can be added, through
                        expression.

                        > Or clarity can be subtracted, through expression.
                        >
                        > Clarity about that, ...........whose very
                        expressing...................
                        > is the expression in question.....
                        >
                        > which is believed to achieve clarity or cloud clarity.

                      • jodyrrr
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 23, 2006
                          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Adam West" <adamwest1@...> wrote:

                          > Hi all,
                          >
                          > It is my intuition and interpretation from reading eye witness accounts from the
                          > everyday observation of "genuine enlightened saints" (what ever that is? - at least
                          > humans in temporary or permanent spiritual states of Divine / Self-Realisation -
                          > very, very rare

                          You are expressing one of the most occluding beliefs there is about
                          self-realization, that it's "very, very rare" and only the purview of
                          the walking "divine". You believe such at the great peril to your own
                          self-realization, which exists in you right now, closer than your own
                          breath, as if on the tip of your nose.
                        • Adam West
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 23, 2006
                                  "You believe such at the great peril to your own
                            self-realization, which exists in you right now, closer than your own breath, as if on the tip of your nose."

                                Yes I agree, it is my awareness itself, the very same of which I am aware of this act of typing - the pristine clarity and the vast space in which the fog of conditioned cognition and identifications exist!  But recognition of this self-liberating awareness comes in degrees, and it is those degrees of awakening which are appropriated by the ego to claim realization where little exists.

                                Rather, an intuitive realisation of truth / intrinsic nature is comprehended, yet it is clearly confused with absolute realisation.

                                Let us test your theses; are you enlightened?  Naturally, one mouthes one particular metaphysical theory, and answers yes!  All are enlightened - there is none other than this singular non-dual awarness; thus am I!  Yet are you conscious of creating and sustaining the universes?  Are you conscious of the infinitude of the laws of nature, of the underlying principles of quantum theory - of mathematical precision?  Of course not!  Your consciousness in actuality retains its finite limitations, thus by definition, it has no access and realisation of its infinite potential - no realisation of the totality of Being - no actual enlightenment, merely metaphysical potential!

                                Naturally, you may -  thus I may accept you are one of the rare few! :-)

                                We may have a sophisticated discussion of these things, yet it is clear very, very few have "actualized" their intrinsic natures - while it remains metaphysically true, there is nothing to realise - a convenient appropriation by oh so many egos and charlatans :-)

                                As you are most likely aware, the Master Aziz has spoken of the difference and problems of which I am arguing and alluding to :-)

                            In kind regards,

                            Adam.

                          • jodyrrr
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 23, 2006
                              wrote:

                              > "You believe such at the great peril to your own
                              > self-realization, which exists in you right now, closer than your own breath, as if on the
                              tip of your nose."

                              > Yes I agree, it is my awareness itself, the very same of which I am aware of
                              > this act of typing - the pristine clarity and the vast space in which the fog of
                              > conditioned cognition and identifications exist! But recognition of this self-
                              > liberating awareness comes in degrees, and it is those degrees of awakening
                              > which are appropriated by the ego to claim realization where little exists.

                              It's not a space at all, and it comes all at once. A permanent rending of
                              the ahamkara which results in an ongoing revelation of the truth of your
                              being.

                              > Rather, an intuitive realisation of truth / intrinsic nature is comprehended,
                              > yet it is clearly confused with absolute realisation.

                              That's not what I'm talking about.

                              > Let us test your theses; are you enlightened?

                              Would you be able to tell if I was?

                              > Naturally, one mouthes one particular metaphysical theory, and answers yes!
                              > All are enlightened - there is none other than this singular non-dual awarness;
                              > thus am I! Yet are you conscious of creating and sustaining the universes?

                              Such would not make me enlightened, as Brahman is only aware of
                              Brahman and not of any of the particulars in the world of name and
                              form, including the creation of such.

                              > Are you conscious of the infinitude of the laws of nature, of the underlying
                              > principles of quantum theory - of mathematical precision? Of course not! Y

                              Neither is Brahman aware of any of the overlays we employ to help
                              us "understand" the world of name and form.

                              > our consciousness in actuality retains its finite limitations, thus by
                              > definition, it has no access and realisation of its infinite potential -
                              > no realisation of the totality of Being - no actual enlightenment,
                              > merely metaphysical potential!

                              You describe an idea you have about consciousness which I say
                              occludes the truth.

                              > Naturally, you may - thus I may accept you are one of the rare few! :-)

                              These ideas you hold are preventing the truth from being known
                              rather than assisting its establishment in your life.

                              > We may have a sophisticated discussion of these things, yet it is
                              > clear very, very few have "actualized" their intrinsic natures - while it remains
                              > metaphysically true, there is nothing to realise - a convenient appropriation
                              > by oh so many egos and charlatans :-)

                              Your idea of "intrinsic nature" is like a fog which blocks the truth
                              from your view.

                              > As you are most likely aware, the Master Aziz has spoken of the
                              > difference and problems of which I am arguing and alluding to :-)
                              >
                              > In kind regards,
                              >
                              > Adam.

                              I don't know Aziz. But I do know that ANY idea you can think of
                              about self-realization prevents your coming to recognize it yourself.

                              Dump the ideas. It will be the best thing you've ever done
                              for yourself.

                              --jody.
                            • Adam West
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 23, 2006
                                  "You believe such at the great peril to your own
                                self-realization, which exists in you right now, closer than your own
                                breath, as if on the tip of your nose."

                                    Ok, would you kindly define the self-realization of which you speak - for apparently we need to clarify our terms :-)

                                    Further, if Self-Realization is so common and closer then my very nose, you must have attained it yourself.  If not, why not? If not, then your argument would not seem to validly follow.

                                (1.) " it comes all at once."

                                (2.) A permanent rending of the ahamkara which results in an ongoing revelation of the truth of your being."

                                    Clearly, I would suggest there is an obvious contradiction between premises 1 and 2.  Further, these statements support my theses, that is, awakening comes in degrees.  And it is these degrees of awakening that are appropriated by the ego to claim full realization of truth, where clearly an ongoing realization remains.

                                    I am making a distinction between absolute awakening which no one on this planet has achieved and a much less degree of on going realization which I am defining as Self-Realization; the degree to which, is great, yet rare; and finally, the garden variety realization which many on the path have attained, (Zen Kensho and so on - which many on this list, I suspect have achieved) yet retain significant distortion, delusion and ignorance.

                                    The other metaphysical points you make about the epistemic nature of Brahman are merely points of dogma; metaphysical claims about the infinite are valueless presuppositions without any argumentation to support them.  Futher, they outside the finite minds capacity to comprehend or imagine; unless of course your argument holds and indeed you are enlightened as it implies. :-)

                                    Jody, I thank you for this opportunity for an interesting discussion; and I apologise for being unable to respond for some time, as I have to go to work right now :-)

                                    Until later!

                                In kind regards,

                                Adam.
                              • jodyrrr
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 23, 2006
                                  wrote:

                                  > "You believe such at the great peril to your own
                                  > self-realization, which exists in you right now, closer than your own
                                  > breath, as if on the tip of your nose."
                                  >
                                  > Ok, would you kindly define the self-realization of which you speak -
                                  > for apparently we need to clarify our terms :-)

                                  The moment when jnana comes to a life. Jnana is the ongoing experiential
                                  revelation that one's nature as being identical to Brahman.

                                  > Further, if Self-Realization is so common and closer then my very nose,
                                  > you must have attained it yourself. If not, why not? If not, then your argument
                                  > would not seem to validly follow.

                                  Who can say why the veil of Maya lies over a truth more immediate
                                  than our own beating heart?

                                  > (1.) " it comes all at once."
                                  >
                                  > (2.) A permanent rending of the ahamkara which results in an ongoing
                                  > revelation of the truth of your being."
                                  >
                                  > Clearly, I would suggest there is an obvious contradiction between
                                  > premises 1 and 2. Further, these statements support my theses, that is,
                                  > awakening comes in degrees. And it is these degrees of awakening that
                                  > are appropriated by the ego to claim full realization of truth, where clearly
                                  > an ongoing realization remains.

                                  The ongoing nature of the revelation doesn't mean it changes
                                  over time. Brahman is only Brahman and can only be known as
                                  Brahman by Brahman. There are no degrees of Brahman.

                                  > I am making a distinction between absolute awakening which
                                  > no one on this planet has achieved

                                  If you mean realization of the absolute, Brahman, there are at least
                                  4 members of this list who know themselves as such.

                                  > and a much less degree of on going realization which I am defining
                                  > as Self-Realization;

                                  These definitions do absolutely nothing except occlude the
                                  truth they poorly attempt to point at.

                                  > the degree to which, is great, yet rare; and finally, the garden variety
                                  > realization which many on the path have attained, (Zen Kensho and so
                                  > on - which many on this list, I suspect have achieved) yet retain
                                  > significant distortion, delusion and ignorance.

                                  That's called being a human being. Your idea of realization is
                                  not much more than a fantasy which happens to be supported by
                                  the hagiographers.

                                  > The other metaphysical points you make about the epistemic
                                  > nature of Brahman are merely points of dogma;

                                  Or directly known as the truth of one's being.

                                  > metaphysical claims about the infinite are valueless presuppositions
                                  > without any argumentation to support them.

                                  Yep. If you are trying to talk about Brahman, you will never say
                                  anything close to descriptive.

                                  > Futher, they outside the finite minds capacity to comprehend or
                                  > imagine; unless of course your argument holds and indeed you are
                                  > enlightened as it implies. :-)

                                  Brahman reveals itself to itself in a moment of grace and
                                  the apparent individual is there to know about it, only now
                                  that individual knows itself to be truly illusory rather than
                                  holding the belief that it is illusory.

                                  > Jody, I thank you for this opportunity for an interesting discussion;
                                  > and I apologise for being unable to respond for some time, as I have
                                  > to go to work right now :-)
                                  >
                                  > Until later!
                                  >
                                  > In kind regards,
                                  >
                                  > Adam.

                                  Glad you're having fun, Adam.

                                  --jody.
                                • suman sk
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 23, 2006
                                    Any realization that comes does come over time and it is a process of soul development that takes over years and years and not in one birth but over many many births. Because for some a single birth is not enough. So in essence we are all evolving with our own speed and that is what happens as a natural law which pervades the entire universe. So thinking that in the past we were not spiritually developed would not be correct. Because ultimately is a development in circular fashion which means everything is although changing but still constant. So this maya makes us feel that everything is changing but it is not. It the play of the Lord himself.
                                    Point is due to this development when we are close to that level where instrisically we start to ourselves get the drive to move into the direction of spirituality and level and start to get over the evil forces within, and then starts the process of becoming pure and slowly gaining the power of miracles which Christ and Buddha had. So if someoe is at a lower level of spiritual development it may not even strike to him what people at a higher level are telling and discussing.Argueing about anything would therefore be redundant. With time such souls would learn there share of knowledge which comes from within and is develped by scriptures develpoved by great spiritual souls.
                                    So everyhting is simple and not complex that may be made by millions of people.
                                    It is just pure and simple truth that karma we do are just the reflections of seeds in our soul that are at a level of spiritual development.

                                    OM

                                    Surendra

                                    wrote:

> [...]

                                    > nature of Brahman are merely points of dogma;

                                    Or directly known as the truth of one's being.

                                    > metaphysical claims about the infinite are valueless presuppositions
                                    > without any argumentation to support them.

                                    Yep.  If you are trying to talk about Brahman, you will never say
                                    anything close to descriptive.

                                    >  Futher, they outside the finite minds capacity to comprehend or
                                    > imagine; unless of course your argument holds and indeed you are
                                    > enlightened as it implies. :-)

                                    Brahman reveals itself to itself in a moment of grace and
                                    the apparent individual is there to know about it, only now
                                    that individual knows itself to be truly illusory rather than
                                    holding the belief that it is illusory.

                                    >     Jody, I thank you for this opportunity for an interesting discussion;
                                    > and I apologise for being unable to respond for some time, as I have

                                    Glad you're having fun, Adam.

                                    --jody.

                                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                  • arun kumar
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 23, 2006
                                      wrote:

> [...]

                                      > nature of Brahman are merely points of dogma;

                                      Or directly known as the truth of one's being.

                                      > metaphysical claims about the infinite are valueless presuppositions
                                      > without any argumentation to support them.

                                      Yep.  If you are trying to talk about Brahman, you will never say
                                      anything close to descriptive.

                                      >  Futher, they outside the finite minds capacity to comprehend or
                                      > imagine; unless of course your argument holds and indeed you are
                                      > enlightened as it implies. :-)

                                      Brahman reveals itself to itself in a moment of grace and
                                      the apparent individual is there to know about it, only now
                                      that individual knows itself to be truly illusory rather than
                                      holding the belief that it is illusory.

                                      >     Jody, I thank you for this opportunity for an interesting discussion;
                                      > and I apologise for being unable to respond for some time, as I have

                                      Glad you're having fun, Adam.

                                      --jody.

                                    • jodyrrr
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 23, 2006
                                        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, suman sk <sumansk@...> wrote:

                                        > Any realization that comes does come over time and it is a process of soul
                                        > development [snip]

                                        What soul?

                                        There is our idea of ourselves as individuals, the result of our
                                        conditioning in this life, and there is the Atman.

                                        We develop as individuals, but that has absolutely nothing to
                                        do with the Atman, which is eternal and changeless. Where is
                                        there a soul between the two and why would such a thing be
                                        necessary?
                                      • suman sk
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Apr 23, 2006
                                          if it was a result of conditioning then every individual will turn out to be bad in adverse conditioning and good in good .. but ot is not so..

                                          It depends on the ondividual's level of soul development.
                                          SK

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Apr 23, 2006
                                            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, suman sk <sumansk@...> wrote:

                                            > if it was a result of conditioning then every individual will turn
                                            > out to be bad in adverse conditioning and good in good .. but ot is not so..
                                            >
                                            > It depends on the ondividual's level of soul development.
                                            > SK

                                            That makes sense. But what if character is a function of biological and genetic
                                            factors as well as being influenced by life conditions. So, someone blessed
                                            with good character traits can turn out ok despite bad conditions, and someone
                                            in great conditions can turn out a wreck. No soul is necessary for any of that.