Re: [Meditation Society of America] INTRO AND QUESTION

  • Michael A. Read
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 28, 2002
      Dear Martin,

      Hiya. My name is michael and I am in my fifties and also have been meditating off and on for quite some time. <grin>
      There is no way to 'achieve' vacancy of mind by forcing the mind to be quiet or empty. As a beginner you can spend some part of meditation simply observing the antics of the mind. Of course you will be caught up in these antics from time to time. This is normal. When you do find that you have been caught up in the mind's antics, don't chastise yourself. Simply say, "Ah, thinking!" and continue to observe what the mind is doing. The mind will eventually tire and slow down or stop. Then start up again. This cycle is normal and will eventually fade.

      Our mind is actually a useful tool. However, it can also be our greatest obstacle to realizing peace. Especially when thought triggers strong emotions. We have a tendancy to believe everything we think. Most of our life is lived in our heads. By learning to simply observe the mind we can begin to drop the attachment to whatever it is doing. Sure, this practice takes time and patience, anything worthwhile does.

      Eventually one sees that indeed they are not the mind and its antics. Then the mind once again becomes the servant, no longer is it the master. That which observes the mind is who you truly are, it is buddha nature.

      wishing you well - michael

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 29, 2002
        Hi Michael,

        Thank you for this insightful response to Martin's question. I really liked
        the simplicity and clarity of your comments.
        Could you please share your experience of how you eventually realized that
        you are not your mind. Was it gradual or did it come as a sort of flash of
        awareness?

        I have often wondered if your vast spiritual knowledge helped you in this
        realization - how did it influence your realization? Was there any sort of
        special barrier that you had to overcome?

        Thanks in advance...Tony