Joys of the Flesh and Beyond ... !!!

  • Bhikkhu Samahita
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11 9:29 PM
      Friends:

      Worldly Joys, Happiness, Equanimity, Release and Beyond!!!

      The Blessed Buddha once said:
      Bhikkhus, there are joys of the flesh, there are joys not of this world, and
      there are rapturous joys far beyond even such subtle unworldly joys ...
      There is happiness of the flesh, there is a happiness not of this world, and
      there is an exquisite bliss far beyond even such subtle unworldly happiness ...
      There is indifference of the flesh, there is an equanimity not of this world,
      and there is a serene peace far beyond even such subtle unworldly equanimity ...
      There is satisfaction of the flesh, there is a mental release not of this world,
      and there is a total liberation far beyond even such subtle unworldly release ...
      And what, bhikkhus, are then these simple joys of the flesh?
      There are these five strings of sense-pleasure. What five?
      Visible forms experiencable by the eye ...
      Hearable sounds experiencable by the ear ...
      Smellable odours experiencable by the nose ...
      Tastable flavours experiencable by the tongue ...
      Touchable objects experiencable by the body ...
      Recognizable mental states experiencable by the mind ...
      That all are attractive, captivating, desirable, irresistible, lovely, agreeable,
      tempting, pleasing, sensually enticing, seductive, alluring, and tantalizing...!!!
      These are the five strings of sense-pleasure. The joy that arises from these
      five strings of sense-pleasure: this is simply the joy of the flesh ...

      Source (edited extract):
      The Grouped Sayings of the Buddha. Samyutta Nikaya. Book IV [235-7]
      section 36:11 On Feeling: Vedan
      ā. Joys beyond this world ...
      http://www.pariyatti.com/book.cgi?prod_id=948507
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/samyutta/index.html

      PS: Please include the word Samahita in any comment, since then
      will my automatic mail filters pick it up and I will see it & respond!!

       Bhikkhu Samahita, Sri Lanka.

       Friendship is the Greatest ...
       Let there be Calm & Free Bliss !!!

      http://What-Buddha-Said.net
       Dhamma-Questions sent to my email are quite Welcome.