The 8 Aspects of Feeling ... !!!

  • Bhikkhu Samahita
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10, 2006

      Friends:

      These Eight Aspects of Feeling should be well Considered & Understood!!!

      A certain Bhikkhu once asked the Blessed Buddha: Venerable Sir,

      1: What is Feeling?
      2: What is the cause of Feeling?
      3: What is the way to emergence of Feeling?
      4: What is the ceasing of Feeling?
      5: What is the way to cease Feeling?
      6: What is the satisfaction in Feeling?
      7: What is the danger in Feeling?
      8: What is the escape from Feeling?

      There are, Bhikkhu, these three Feelings:
      1: Pleasant Feeling, Painful Feeling, & Neither-painful-nor-pleasant

      Feeling. This is Feeling...
      2: Sense Contact is the proximate cause of Feeling...
      3: Craving is the way leading to the emergence of Feeling...
      4: Ending of contact, ceases Feeling instantly...
      5: This Noble Eightfold Way is the way to cease Feeling...
      6: The delight and joy of Feeling: This is the satisfaction within Feeling...
      7: That Feeling is impermanent, subject to change & suffering: This is the danger in Feeling...
      8: The removal & elimination of desire and lust for Feeling: This is the escape from Feeling...

      Comment:
      Running after pleasurable feeling like mad robots, beings come to pain & death again & again...

      Source (edited extract):
      The Grouped Sayings of the Buddha. Samyutta Nikaya. Book IV [232-3]
      section 36: On Feeling: Vedan
      ā. A Certain Bhikkhu... 23.
      http://www.pariyatti.com/book.cgi?prod_id=948507
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/samyutta/index.html

      PS: Please include the word Samahita in any comment, since then
      will my automatic mail filters pick it up and I will see it & respond!!

       Bhikkhu Samahita, Sri Lanka.

       Friendship is the Greatest ...
       Let there be Calm & Free Bliss !!!

      http://What-Buddha-Said.net
       Dhamma-Questions sent to my email are quite Welcome.