Zen and the Art of Knifemaking

    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 8 9:01 AM
      In the Photo section, Miscellaneous Album,
      pictures 81 and 82 are of the latest in the
      ongoing series of having knives appear from
      what was simply steel, brass, and wood. This
      was the first time I had used Box Elder Burl
      wood and it was the most friendly one I have
      ever worked with. It seemed to assume its shape
      easier than any other wood I've used. As I do
      various motions with my body it is like magic
      witnessing the knife make its appearance. Very
      thought stopping and just as transcendant as
      many of the meditation techniques I've done.
      And as usual, the "doing" requires a great degree
      of being present in the moment, or one can easily
      end up with fewer fingers and appendages.
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 24, 2006
        There is a new picture (#9) in the Photo
        section titled Zen and the Art of Knifemaking.
        It shows 10 blades ready to be heat treated,
        and then to have guards and handles put on
        them. It has taken months to get them to be
        as they now are from their original state of
        solid steel bars. From the time the first one
        was finished to the time the last one was
        done, I found many things about knifemaking
        that were unknown to me at the start. This
        led me to redoing the way that the first one
        was constructed, and now it should be very
        much more likely to last years longer in heavy
        use than it would have before. This came only
        by persevering in my quest to gain greater
        proficiency in this craft. This was very
        similar to the way I see people develop in
        their meditation practice. At first we may have
        little knowledge of how, where, and when to do
        what. But soon we get some hold on the "how-to",
        and all the rest, and have some experiences that
        bring us to greater understanding, and eventually
        this leads us to be able to fine tune our practice.
        And we become more functional for years after. And
        so, I suggest that you persevere in this most
        beneficial craft.
      • corkey galloway

          Message 4 of 27 , Oct 13, 2006
            There are 2 new pictures in the Photo
            section titled Zen and the Art of
            Knifemaking (#10 and 11) that are of
            the latest knife to appear. This one
            is a Japanese style kitchen knife that
            Bette, my wife, will be using to cut
            up veggies. It's the 1st one that I have
            made for a specific use and the first
            that I have made for her, so I had
            a very definite intention when I started
            its construction.
            I had a nice bar of damascus steel to use
            and also a beautiful block of Ironwood to
            use for the handle. Motivated by wanting
            to do something good enough for Bette,
            who always has done everything for me
            so very well, and also wanting to do
            justice to the fine materials I had
            to work with, I witnessed myself having
            a special feeling as I went about the
            different steps that are involved in knife
            making. I would describe this as "having an
            aim" more than simply desiring something.
            This aim, the intention, the gratitude for
            the opportunity to (in a very small way)
            "repay" Bette, gave my actions an energy that
            carried with it an easier than usual flow
            that brought this knife to birth without
            "me" seeming to be there with the usual
            inner chatter that I witness so often as
            I try to "do" things. No judging, no ongoing
            commentary, just movements with a "dedication"
            that was palpable. I had no feeling at all that
            "I" was doing anything. Then, a knife was there.
            It's 11 1/2" long, 2 1/4" wide, and has a brass
            and nickle silver mosaic pin and a nickle silver
            bolster. The 6 1/2" blade has a hollow grind and
            is very thin and sharp. I don't know if there is
            any of me in this knife, but I'm sure there is a
            lot of Bette and lots of gratitude too.
          • kurt_kurosawa
            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 5, 2006
              I sent a post but I don't know where (your account is set up not to
              receive e-mail), so at the risk of repeating myself and generally
              being totally off-topic:

              - About the smell, it pays to wear a respirator. The particulates in
              the air can be themselves harmful, little sharp shards of steel that
              you don't want moving and grooving in your lungs when you cough.
              Then there's the chemical aspect, e.g. cocobolo is toxic and other
              natural materials may be allergens. And since you're working with
              bone from (presumably) overseas, it would be hard to completely
              discount the possibility of inhaling microorganisms/spores.

              - I see you're using 1095, a very good steel, but if you're getting
              a little "boomerang" in the quench, you might want to give O-1 a
              stab (so to speak). I love O-1, so forgiving and can be
              differentially drawn. For the quench, get a coffee can full of auto
              tranny fluid, heat it to 125 F (by sticking a bar of hot steel and a
              candy thermometer in it).

              - 5160 is cheaper; it's (as the name says) nominally 0.60% carbon
              but it also has 0.2% silicon and 0.7% chromium. A little tougher and
              can be hardened up near the 60s. I'm in the Tidewater Virginia area
              and if you live nearby (you don't want to pay shipping) I have a few
              pounds (maybe something like 30 feet in 3 or 3.5 foot lengths) of
              1/4 x 1" 5160 I can give you free.

              Best, Kurt

              PS my favorite meditational incense is sweet coal smoke, see if the
              library has books by Alexander Weygers, he explains how to make your
              own forge from a coffee can and anvil from a piece of railroad
              track, and gives instruction on beating hot steel.
              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 5, 2006
                Yo Kurt,
                Thanks for all the great advise. I think you have
                well demonstrated one of the most surprising
                things I have found out about in the past 2 years,
                and that is that the community of knifemakers is
                one of the most generous in freely sharing their
                knowledge, and more so than virtually any other group
                I have been involved with. And unfortunately, that
                includes many groups who are supposedly dedicated
                to seeking "Truth". But, you have also found one of
                the truly selfless people in the...shall we call it
                ... "Enlightenment Community", and that is Sandeep.
                For much more of his sharing, check out his excellent
                web site: http://www.the-covenant.net/
                Now for some Zen and the Art of Knifemaking talk:
                I have just posted the latest knife that has brought
                together steel, wood, and brass to produce a tool that
                should last for much longer than the physical human
                body that was involved in its arising. It can be seen
                in photo's #13 and 14. 1095 steel again for the 12 3/4"
                blade and 17 1/2" total length. Much like a regular
                practice of meditation fills one up with a stable
                spiritual energy, the beautiful buckeye burl wood has
                been through a process called stabilization that has
                strenghtened it and will keep it from warping and
                losing its functional ability for years to come. It's
                hand formed brass guard will protect the users hands
                just as faith and prayer are said to do. I do intend
                to use other types of steel in the future as it is my
                nature to want to experiment with many ways to do the
                same thing (as can be seen by the dozens of different
                meditation techniques on our web site, Meditation Station
                http://www.meditationsociety.com ). And if I lived closer
                I would certainly take you up on your kind offer of steel,
                but I live in the Lancaster area, just outside Philly.
                As for using proper respiratory safety equiptment, you are
                100% correct. And I do. Just as we should have an environment
                that is free from negative stressors when we meditate,
                every place we are in should be free from toxicity.
                It was after the fact that I found my work area
                filled with the (potentially dangerous) stink
                of odors that grinding bone had released. And that was
                with using an air cleansing machine! And just like it may take
                quite a while for the negative mental, emotional and physical
                things we begin with to be cleansed with our meditative
                practice, it took several days of keeping the doors open
                and the air filtering going to get the air clean again.
                In any event, I've rattled on perhaps too much.
                Thanks again for sharing.

                snip

                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 21, 2006
                  The photo section now has 2 new pictures
                  in the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking
                  albums (pics 15 and 16). The first is
                  a 12 1/2" long maple burl handled knife
                  with a brass guard and a 1095 steel blade.
                  The second is 19 3/4" long and has a
                  beadblasted 1095 steel blade, and a brass
                  and steel guard with a buckeye burl handle.
                  I again found the focusing that takes place
                  during the construction process brings about
                  an excellent "high". Unlike tossing around
                  concepts and words to make some point, you
                  must be very focused and one-pointed when
                  working with tools, machines, and sharp things,
                  or some of the points you make can quickly end
                  up in you. And there is no doubt that the more
                  one practices, the better one gets at IT.

                  When done working on any specific craft or task,
                  the intense inner and outer focus that was idealy
                  used during the creative process need not end just
                  because you leave your workshop, as the whole world is
                  your real working environment, and perfect attention in
                  every moment is always appropriate...and a great "high".
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 29, 2007
                    In the Photos section, in the Zen and
                    the Art of Knifemaking album, pictures
                    29, 30, 31, 32, and 33 show a few of the
                    newest knives to appear. They once were
                    just steel, brass, nickle-silver, and
                    exotic woods, and now they are tools that
                    can be expected to last far longer than
                    the collection of atomic and pre-atomic
                    materials that held them and attended
                    to their arrival. "I" did not will them into
                    existence or do much else but serve as
                    a vehicle of their transport from one form
                    to another. It's also a time when different
                    labels can be attached to them, but will
                    that in any way help or prevent their use?
                    Of course, it can be said and seen by some
                    that originally they were just other
                    forms of atomic and pre-atomic material
                    that Mother Earth, or who/whatever caused
                    to come together. And now can't we say if
                    not see that that has again happened? Can
                    I/we really say in honesty "I did that!"?
                    The same collection of flesh and bones and
                    emotion and mentation producing material
                    can be pointed to in one way as "doing", but in reality
                    aren't thoughts, emotions, and bodily activity
                    just things that happen to the neurology of
                    the physical body that we reside in for a given
                    moment. And when that body is asleep, doesn't
                    mental, emotional, and physical activity cease
                    occurring? Your neuro-system is on Pause. But
                    the Earth isn't, and the Solar System isn't,
                    and the Milky Way Galaxy isn't, and our local
                    Galactic Cluster isn't, and our Super Galactic Cluster
                    isn't, and this and other universes aren't on Pause.
                    And don't their action and interaction "count"?
                    And yet we claim to be able to make things happen!
                    Even if we are awake, can we assert for sure
                    that we won't trip on our face when we get up from
                    reading this? And yet we claim we have "will".
                    And "self-control". And "can do". Isn't that hilarious!
                    But there is one thing we can do and that is to
                    witness our life as it takes place. We have been
                    given this freedom, but it is the rare wo/man that
                    takes advantage of this great Grace. And most just
                    look out of the 5 sense box they are stuck in and
                    judge, compare and comment on what flows by, rehashing
                    the past and fantasizing about the future, and never
                    look within to the infinite and eternal that is
                    ever present and available. And here's where
                    meditation comes in. There is no better way to cease the
                    filling up our our box with chatter and litter. And
                    when the box is empty of trash, it can and will fill
                    with the beauty of the universe. The gift that humans
                    have been given is the freedom to ascend and transcend
                    the trap that each sense and trying to make sense
                    brings about. When we just (as St John said) "Let IT Be",
                    and do no-thing, then we're really doing something.
                    And sometimes what happens is pretty sharp!
                    Message 9 of 27 , Nov 9, 2007
                      Since I last posted pictures of the
                      knives that I had a hand (actually 2
                      hands) in making, there have been
                      a dozen more that have appeared.
                      They can be seen in pictures #84 to 112 at:
                      http://tinyurl.com/54ma6
                      I have no real idea how they came to be
                      a part of this dream that pretends to be
                      "my life", but when I look around, they
                      seem solidly present. I have really grown
                      to appreciate the fine beauty of their
                      wood handles and the form they have taken
                      in a way that is similar to the way I
                      appreciate more traditional art work.
                      Prior to taking part in this craft,
                      knives were just knives and wood was
                      just wood to me. I am now in awe
                      of the amazing textures and designs
                      that are in the woods and acknowledge
                      the artist who created them as a master.
                      But as a witness to my inner chatter,
                      I see that the potential to criticize
                      this great display of divine beauty
                      is ever present. And I laugh, fascinated
                      by the moronic commentary that would
                      interrupt my contact with the gift I
                      have been given in my ability to
                      appreciate and "get off on" something
                      so exquisite. So I tell my chatterer
                      to be still and embrace the moment and
                      then let it go. And then smile with
                      the silence and emptiness that shouts
                      with joy as it fills with bliss. Now
                      that's some sharp knives!
                      Message 10 of 27 , May 6, 2008
                        In the photo section, you will find additions
                        to the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking folder;
                        pictures 40, 41, 42, and 43. They show a
                        dagger that has a Damascus steel blade and an
                        Ironwood handle. I think you may agree with the
                        general feeling among knife makers that Ironwood
                        is the most beautiful wood, and Damascus is the
                        most beautiful type of steel. They both are
                        fine examples of why I think that nature provides
                        the most beautiful art works. While witnessing
                        the creation of this knife I was aware that what
                        needed to be done by my hands and eyes would be
                        conflicted if I let my emotions get involved, and
                        similarly I saw that mental chattering would be
                        distractive and not helpful. Once a method has
                        been programmed into our body and brain, it is best
                        to just let it happen. I'm always humbled when I
                        see the end result and always get further unable
                        to deny the reality that all that happens is "Thy
                        will be done" in action. And, that if we in our
                        arrogance think that we can "do" anything, it is
                        very common for the universe to demonstrate how
                        naive an attitude that is. For instance, can you
                        be 100% sure that you won't fall on your face when
                        you get up from reading this? Well, since I've rid
                        myself of thinking I can make knives and have
                        accepted that I can just be a tool for their coming
                        into being, I've fallen on my face much less often
                        when taking part in the knifemaking process. And I've
                        found that as St Martha says, "That's a good thing".
                      • Aideen McKenna
                        Message 11 of 27 , May 6, 2008

                          Actually, she says “That’s a Good Thing”.  You can hear the capital letters when she says it.

                          Aideen

[...]

                          Checked by AVG.

                          Checked by AVG.

                          Message 12 of 27 , May 7, 2008
                            "Aideen McKenna" <aideenmck@...> wrote:

                            > Actually, she says "That's a Good Thing". You can hear the capital
                            letters
                            > when she says it.
                            >
                            > Aideen

                            Yo Aideen,
                            You're right - when she speaks, it's often in Caps.
                            A small coincidence is that when my wife read the
                            post she said that she tought all of the "Thy
                            will be done" quote should be in caps. I guess
                            all these Higher Power types command special attention!
                            Knifemaking

                            > In the photo section, you will find additions
                            > to the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking folder;
                            > pictures 40, 41, 42, and 43. They show a
                            > dagger that has a Damascus steel blade and an
                            > Ironwood handle. I think you may agree with the
                            > general feeling among knife makers that Ironwood
                            > is the most beautiful wood, and Damascus is the
                            > most beautiful type of steel. They both are
                            > fine examples of why I think that nature provides
                            > the most beautiful art works. While witnessing
                            > the creation of this knife I was aware that what
                            > needed to be done by my hands and eyes would be
                            > conflicted if I let my emotions get involved, and
                            > similarly I saw that mental chattering would be
                            > distractive and not helpful. Once a method has
                            > been programmed into our body and brain, it is best
                            > to just let it happen. I'm always humbled when I
                            > see the end result and always get further unable
                            > to deny the reality that all that happens is "Thy
                            > will be done" in action. And, that if we in our
                            > arrogance think that we can "do" anything, it is
                            > very common for the universe to demonstrate how
                            > naive an attitude that is. For instance, can you
                            > be 100% sure that you won't fall on your face when
                            > you get up from reading this? Well, since I've rid
                            > myself of thinking I can make knives and have
                            > accepted that I can just be a tool for their coming
                            > into being, I've fallen on my face much less often
                            > when taking part in the knifemaking process. And I've
                            > found that as St Martha says, "That's a good thing".
                            > Peace and blessings,
                            > Bob

                            > Checked by AVG.
                            5/06/08
                            > 5:17 PM

                            > Checked by AVG.
                            5/06/08

                            Message 13 of 27 , Aug 11, 2008
                              In the photo section, in the folder "Zen
                              and the Art of Knifemaking", you will
                              find a new knife that features Mammoth
                              tooth handles. As I was witnessing the
                              assembly of this knife taking place,
                              there was a unique feeling of an ancient
                              connection present. The obviousness of
                              handling a 30,000 year old object and
                              being extra careful to not mess it up
                              also brought about a special awareness
                              that is hard to label, but can perhaps be
                              represented by saying that the usual "just
                              witnessing and letting flow whatever may flow"
                              attitude had an extra effortless effort
                              energy added to it. I just saw an episode
                              of "American Dad" last night where the Dad
                              had souped up his car so he could drag
                              race with it (to impress his wife), and at one
                              point he hit a switch that ignited a nitro burst
                              that made the car blast off extra quickly.
                              And that's sort of how I felt during this
                              particular knife making session. It really
                              seemed to touch the semi-eternal nature of
                              Mother Earth. I can't wait to see what using
                              meteorite will feel like!
                              The pics are # 45 and 46. And to see many
                              more Zen and the Art of Knifemaking blades:
                              http://www.bobroseknives.com
                              Message 14 of 27 , Sep 25, 2009
                                Once again I'll be displaying my knives,
                                and like what seems like just very few knife
                                makers do, talking about meditation. The show
                                is in Easton PA and will be held Sat and
                                Sun from 9 to 5. I expect to only be there
                                for Sat as there is an Eagles game Sunday and
                                I expect to be back home for it. After all,
                                I do try not to miss religious events, and
                                sometimes there are only 16 of them a year.

                                After the show we'll probably be going out to dinner
                                with several friends, so if you'll be in the area
                                please stop in and say "High!" and maybe join the
                                probably somewhat transcendental fun.

                                PS: You can see the knives at:
                                http://www.bobroseknives.com
                                Message 15 of 27 , Sep 26, 2009

                                  > Once again I'll be displaying my knives,
                                  > and like what seems like just very few knife
                                  > makers do, talking about meditation. The show
                                  > is in Easton PA and will be held Sat and
                                  > Sun from 9 to 5. I expect to only be there
                                  > for Sat as there is an Eagles game Sunday and
                                  > I expect to be back home for it. After all,
                                  > I do try not to miss religious events, and
                                  > sometimes there are only 16 of them a year.
                                  >
                                  > After the show we'll probably be going out to dinner
                                  > with several friends, so if you'll be in the area
                                  > please stop in and say "High!" and maybe join the
                                  > probably somewhat transcendental fun.
                                  >
                                  > Peace and blessings,
                                  > Bob
                                  > PS: You can see the knives at:
                                  > http://www.bobroseknives.com

                                  Well, we just got back from the show and it
                                  was very pleasant, fun and interesting. Nice
                                  people, good conversation, lots of amazing
                                  knives by some of the most talented makers
                                  in the world. As is available in every moment,
                                  lots of new in-sights and out-sights. I also
                                  was pretty surprised to find right around the
                                  corner quite a coincidence. There was the Belyea
                                  Electric Supply Company, and just as Papajeff
                                  deals with Transformation, they specialize
                                  in Transformers. Yes, this incarnation is always
                                  at least semi-interesting!
                                  Peace and blesings,
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Nov 20, 2009
                                    The 2 latest knives that have appeared have
                                    very ancient handle materials. One is from
                                    mammoth tooth and is between 15,000 and
                                    30,000 years old. The other is fossil coral
                                    and is between 1.8 million and 230 million
                                    years old.
                                    As I worked with them,their antiquity radiated as
                                    a sensation beyond just their appearance. Just as
                                    when you enter a church or are at a holy place,
                                    or in the company of a holy being, saint or
                                    newborn, there was a feeling that was far from
                                    the same old same old. I felt a connection to the
                                    Earth and a unity with all life that has been and
                                    is and will be her life's work. Humility and reverence
                                    are the closest adjectives to describe the mood
                                    that flew through, and still remains. And now the
                                    beauty that for some reason was hidden within their
                                    environments is now visible and to me is a
                                    demonstration of the gifts of love from a sentient
                                    universe that are available within and without.
                                    I consider it a blessing to be able to spend moments
                                    in the company of such simple yet so fantastic
                                    creations.
                                    PS: I am posting pictures of them in the Photo section
                                    in the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking album.
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Dec 9, 2011
                                      This weekend I'll be displaying my knives
                                      http://www.bobroseknives.com
                                      at the Harrisburg PA Gun Show.
                                      If you feel like sharing meditation concepts,
                                      methods and experiences, I'll be glad to
                                      spend time with you. This show is really unique
                                      even for weapon-addicts. It's the only place I
                                      know of where they not only sell weapons and
                                      ammo, but where you can also buy and drink beer.
                                      Talk about non-conduscive to meditation venues!
                                      But in reality, it's a perfect place to put into
                                      practice your non-distractability, keeping
                                      calm in all situations, and awareness to the test.
                                      So stop by and say hello. These days, it's actually
                                      a safer environment than some college campuses, and
                                      we may even find it to be a good opportunity to
                                      evolve in consciousness.

                                      Visitor Information
                                      LOCATION
                                      The show will be held in the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex & Expo Center, North Cameron and Maclay Streets, Harrisburg, PA.

                                      DIRECTIONS

                                      TRAVELING WEST ON THE PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE:
                                      Take Exit 247. Travel north on PA-283, which merges with I-83. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                      TRAVELING EAST ON PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE:
                                      Take Exit 236. Travel north on Route 15 to 581 West. Travel west on 581 and merge onto I-81 North. Follow I-81 North across the Susquehanna River, and then take Exit 67 for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                      FROM THE HARRISBURG INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT:
                                      Head north on 441 to 283 North. Travel north on PA-283, which merges with I-83. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                      FROM THE WEST SHORE/CARLISLE:
                                      Take I-81 North to Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                      FROM DOWNTOWN HARRISBURG:
                                      Take Second Street north to the 2100 block and turn right onto Maclay Street. Follow Maclay Street east across the railroad bridge to the traffic light at the Farm Show Building. Turn left onto Cameron Street and travel north. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                      FROM THE NORTH:
                                      Take 11/15 South following the Susquehanna River to I-81. Follow I-81 North across the river and take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                      FROM THE UPPER DAUPHIN AREA:
                                      Take Route 147 South or Route 225 South to Route 322 (River Relief Route). Route 322 becomes Cameron Street after crossing over I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                      FROM HERSHEY:
                                      Take Route 322 West to I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                      FROM LANCASTER:
                                      Take 283 North towards Harrisburg to I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                      FROM YORK:
                                      Take I-83 North across the Susquehanna River. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                      FROM LEBANON:
                                      Take I-81 South towards Harrisburg. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                      FROM PROGRESS AVE EXIT OFF 81N:
                                      Take Exit 69. Merge right with Progress Avenue Traffic. Turn right onto Elmerton Avenue at traffic light. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                      FROM PROGRESS AVE EXIT OFF 81S:
                                      Take Exit 69. Turn right at traffic light onto Progress Avenue. At second traffic light turn right onto Elmerton Avenue. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.
                                      Message 18 of 27 , May 4, 2012
                                        Once again, I'll be displaying my knives at a gun
                                        show this weekend. It's at the Philly Convention Center
                                        in Oaks PA. Here's the URL for info.
                                        http://www.eaglearms.com/Eaglearmsproductionfullpage.html
                                        The last show we were at was one of the "highest" ones we've
                                        attended. We had the pleasure of sharing meditation concepts
                                        and techniques with several of our members who were there,
                                        and it was a very nice experiential demo of transcending
                                        what would normally be a semi-insane environment. Fun too!

                                        One of the surprises was when we got to interact with a
                                        great 11 year old kid who's father is one of the real
                                        masters of martial arts. This guy is so tough he wears
                                        a kilt to a gun show and nobody would dream of making fun
                                        of him. And yet he has a wisdom and righteousness that is
                                        all too rare. Glad to say that his son seems to be going
                                        right along the same path.

                                        Anyway, if you're in the area, please stop by and say hello.
                                        If you'd like to see some of the newest knives I've made,
                                        and that will be on display, they're at the bottom of the
                                        web page here: http://www.bobroseknives.com

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Sep 7, 2012
                                          I'll be displaying my knives this Sat and Sun at
                                          the gun show at the Harrisburg PA Farm Show Complex and
                                          Expo Center 2300 North Cameron Street Harrisburg, PA 17110
                                          I've enjoyed meeting and sharing time and experiences
                                          with several of our members there in past shows and
                                          look forward to that doing this again. Semi-interesting
                                          venue - 800 tables of weapons and ammo... and they
                                          serve beer!?!?!?
                                          Relative to knife-making, I've been using amazing new materials
                                          for the handles on my most recent knives and wonder at
                                          the beauty of these man-made high-tech products.
                                          They're so nice that one may not even notice the
                                          hardly expert level my knife skills demonstrate. It's
                                          kind of analogous to how having a loving personality can
                                          make you attractive even if visually you're no Brad
                                          or Angelina. These knives can be seen at the bottom of
                                          my knife site at: http://www.bobroseknives.com
                                          Anyway, if you do come, please don't wear some other
                                          teams shirts than the Eagles. You know that this could
                                          become a distraction from sharing meditation concepts
                                          and methods as I might go off on rants about football:)
                                          Hope to see you soon!
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Sep 9, 2012
                                            OK, by semi-popular request, here's a brief report of the
                                            gun show. One of the most interesting things was that a forum
                                            member and a friend of his have started to make knives
                                            and seemingly are walking a similar path as I am relative
                                            to finding it at times to precede interesting, pleasant, and
                                            unusually informative meditative experiences...
                                            IE: They report entering a focus of attention so intense and
                                            yet so effortless that a shift in consciousness takes place
                                            that they sort of defined as a transcendent level of non-dual
                                            attention where one's individual identity melts away and
                                            a new awakening reveals an infinite unification with what
                                            Gurdjieff labeled "All and Everything". In any event, they
                                            still have all their fingers and other body parts, and that
                                            itself is a great result of clear meditative focus while
                                            using very powerful and potentially dangerous power tools.
                                            BTW, as a bonus, their knives looked very good and
                                            should prove highly functional. And just like me they report
                                            being surprised at having nice knives in their hands appear
                                            almost magically when the sparks, smoke, smells, sounds and
                                            heat subside.
                                            Anyway, thanks to those who came out and shared their
                                            wisdom and humor. Much appreciated!

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Dec 14, 2012
                                              Once again, I'll be displaying my knives and sharing
                                              meditation concepts and techniques (the usual combination
                                              for a meditation teacher:) at the Philly Gun Show in Oaks PA
                                              this weekend, Friday Dec 14 from 4PM to 8PM, Sat 9AM to 5PM, and
                                              Sun 9AM to 4PM. Here's where you can get info and a discount coupon:
                                              http://www.eaglearmsgunshows.com/oaks-gun-show-philadelphia-expo-center.html
                                              There will be about 1,000 tables full of weapons, ammo, and just
                                              about anything you can think of that brings about violence and
                                              destruction, as well as thousands of people who are anxious to buy
                                              these items. And there will also be my table where consciousness
                                              evolving methods will be shared (as well as complaining about the
                                              Eagles). Many of the knives I have made will be available and with
                                              the holidays coming, I expect lots of activity that interrupts our
                                              "high" conversations. But this is all part of what life is about...
                                              and maintaining a meditative mode in active as well as in passive situations is what a meditative practice should include. And when
                                              someone approaches you carrying a machine gun, and has ammo around
                                              their neck, to discus how best to use a certain knife, or whatever else is making their mind chatter, it's certainly an excellent opportunity to witness your own chatter, and to apply Self
                                              control and maintain your serenity, or to see just when and
                                              how you lose it (which might be a more valuable benefit).
                                              So it is actually an excellent environment for learning about and experiencing meditation in real life. Hope to see you there!
                                              BTW, here's where you can see my knives:
                                              http://www.bobroseknives.com
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Dec 16, 2012
                                                Well, this weekend I spent displaying knives I've made at
                                                the Philly Gun Show. 1200 tables full of weapons and their
                                                accoutrements and thousands of people there to buy them.
                                                Much discussion about the duality of "guns don't kill people,
                                                people do" and "if there weren't guns available, there wouldn't
                                                be so many killings" Of course there were local TV crews there filming the goings on and promising to be "fair" in their
                                                reporting as they focused the cameras on assault rifles and
                                                other semi and full automatic weapons. This will be just a
                                                small part of the ongoing and now top news discussion.

                                                In between actually selling some knives, I spent time
                                                discussing meditation with people and even conducted some
                                                mindfulness exercises semi-maintaining a Witnessing
                                                perspective on whatever was flowing by moment to (what seemed
                                                like) another moment. And as is common when in a wordless
                                                meditative mode, words appear that (right or wrong) point to
                                                "an answer", and here are some that flowed by...

                                                I'm guessing that just as there are hundreds of millions of
                                                words available to us, and they don't seem to solve anything,
                                                there being hundreds of millions of guns and rifles right now
                                                in the USA, and they aren't solving anything either, maybe
                                                just being conscious is the only real "problem solver".
                                                As Gurdjieff put it...
                                                "Do not be affected by externals. In themselves they are
                                                harmless; it is we who allow ourselves to be hurt by them."

                                                (the above is a para-phrase of a post on the Gene's Gulag
                                                forum)