Indifference Creates Ignorance ... !!!

  • Bhikkhu Samahita
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7, 2006
      Friends:

      Neutral neither-painful-nor-pleasant Feeling creates Ignorance!!!

      The Blessed Buddha once said to some deadly sick bhikkhus:
      A bhikkhu should await his time aware and clearly comprehending...
      This is our instruction to you!!! While a bhikkhu lives in this way,
      aware & clearly comprehending, enthusiastic, keen, & determined,
      if there arises in him a neutral feeling, then he understands this:
      'There has arisen in me this neutral feeling. Now that is dependent,
      not independent! Dependent on what? Dependent on just this contact!
      But this contact is impermanent, conditioned, & dependently arisen...
      So when the neutral feeling has arisen in dependence on a contact,
      that is impermanent, conditioned, & dependently arisen, how could it ever
      then itself be permanent?' He dwells in this way always contemplating
      the impermanence of any contact and the transience of any neutral feeling,
      and he considers thus the inevitable vanishing, fading away, ceasing, & the
      therefore necessary relinquishment of all conditioned constructions...!!!
      Therefore is his latent tendency to ignorance, created by the neglect of all
      neutral contacts & the inattention to all neutral feelings, gradually eliminated...
      He then understands: With the breakup of this body, at the exhaustion of this
      fragile life, any feeling, all that is felt, neither being opposed, nor clung to,
      nor neglected, will cool down right here...

      Comments:
      How does neutral feeling create ignorance?
      A: The contacted object is Neglected, since it does not produce pleasure...

      Since neutral feeling is not pleasant, it does not attract attention...
      Any mind, searching for pleasure, therefore neglects it & also the contacted
      object, which gave rise to this neither-painful-nor-pleasant feeling...
      When the object is not examined by attention, ignorance is created.
      B: The contacted object is Neglected, since it does neither generate pain...
      Since neutral feeling is not painful, it does not alert the attention...
      Any mind, fleeing from pain, therefore neglects it & also the contacted
      object, which gave rise to this neither-painful-nor-pleasant feeling...
      When the object is not known by consideration, ignorance is created.

      Source (edited extract):
      The Grouped Sayings of the Buddha. Samyutta Nikaya. Book IV [214]
      section 36: feeling. Vedan
      ā. The Sick-Ward. 8.
      http://www.pariyatti.com/book.cgi?prod_id=948507
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/samyutta/index.html

      PS: Please include the word Samahita in any comment, since then
      will my automatic mail filters pick it up and I will see it & respond!!

       Bhikkhu Samahita, Sri Lanka.

       Friendship is the Greatest ...
       Let there be Calm & Free Bliss !!!

      http://What-Buddha-Said.net
       Dhamma-Questions sent to my email are quite Welcome.