Could this be called a practice?

  • Maria Luisa
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 4, 2006
      In my view, all the practices can be reduced to one single practice.
      At the end, all of them lead to it, if so. Purifications, letting
      go´s, observation, discrimination, repetitions, being still, intents of
      mindfullness, meditation, being in the now, focussing, and whatever,
      can be reduced into simple self enquiry, which does not need of much
      training. It is one step practice. If we can call it so. In any case,
      there is no guarantee of it 'functioning', for the needed
      concetration for this depends on how able one is to be still, let go,
      observe, discriminate, concentrate..........:-) or just how tired,
      exhausted, one is of being the one, one is supposed to be. But let´s
      see.

      Thoughts are impermanent for they arise and disappear. The first or
      most recurrent thought tends to be the thought 'I'. To follow the
      trade of this thought until reaching the source from where it takes
      rise would make evident that this thought appears as if from nothing,
      to then disappear into the same place.
      The biggest cloud in this respect is that we believe that thoughts
      occur to us. MY thoughts, taking this thinker as "I", which in
      reality is the root thought. "I" is a thought. First premise, yes,
      but nobody is ever convinced of this, so that is why it is suggested
      to investigate the 'place' from where this "I", as a thought,
      appears. And that´s all that can be done. Only when there is the
      eagerness to do this investigation, I mean, when one is really tired
      of being this "I", (of the seeking I) is when self enquiry is in
      truth done.

      Realization of the reality of what we are is so simple, so near, so
      obvious and immediate, but at the same time, we are so used (immersed
      in the tendency) to follow the thoughts and their continuity which
      generates stories, that it seems rare and difficult to recognize that
      This, (which seems as if no-where, no-place, as if nothing, from
      which the thought 'I' or any other thought arises), Is what we are.
      Even to mention this would make a lot of people run away, for almost
      nobody wants to buy this scary proposition.
      Now, following the thread
      (of thoughts :-))
      being this a tendency (to follow the thoughts), the practice of self
      enquiry (to follow the trade of the thought 'I') is a direct and
      efficient way to cut such tendency from its root. Which, as well as I
      can try to express, does not mean that no more thoughts will ever
      appear, but that their appearances will be known or recognized as
      what they are: just appearances in that (which I really am) , this no
      name something or nothing which some call present awareness, others
      name it nothingness and some others call it consciousness or void (a
      non fashionable way would be God) and the way I use to express it is
      'existence from ever and for ever'.

      (I seem to be mentioning a 'way' here, which also seems to be out of
      fashion, but I will dare to continue with this.)
      If we can call this a practice, between the so called purifying
      practices for a 'mind to be ready for enlightenment' or to 'deserve
      the Grace', as some seekers use to place, this would be an effective
      one. Ramana Maharshi said about self enquiry that it was the practice
      and the goal. But then again, everybody wants something better than
      what they have (are) now, so there is always something missing, grace
      is missing, the right moment has not come yet, and so on.
      The purification that so many practices called 'spiritual' seek, is
      in reality, as I have understood, the cutting of the road we are used
      to follow, this means, to make a very strong STOP in the current of
      thoughts that tend to arise, and to pay attention to that or this,
      which is as if from no where, as if from nothing, that from where
      this same attention arise and disappears. Not being attention
      directed to any other thought in this instant, attention disappears
      in its own source. (Well, at least I am trying to explain how I think
      it may happen, though it may not happen this way) All there is, then,
      is what always is in this very instant from ever and for ever. Any
      other instant (before or after) is just another thought happening in
      this instant.

      These are my ideas about the 'way'. But trully, trully, what I am
      sure is that there is no way, only what happens in this instant which
      (for me) could be expressed as 'existence from ever and for ever'.
      So, a way to get where? Nowhere, only the possible recognition of the
      nature of this ever present reality is what may happen in this instant.

      Maria Luisa
    • Jeff Belyea
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 5, 2006
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Maria Luisa"
        <mlcanow@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > directed to any other thought in this instant, attention disappears
        > in its own source. (Well, at least I am trying to explain how I
        think
        > it may happen, though it may not happen this way) All there is,
        then,
        > is what always is in this very instant from ever and for ever. Any
        > other instant (before or after) is just another thought happening
        in
        > this instant.
        >
        > These are my ideas about the 'way'. But trully, trully, what I am
        > sure is that there is no way, only what happens in this instant
        which
        > (for me) could be expressed as 'existence from ever and for ever'.
        > So, a way to get where? Nowhere, only the possible recognition of
        the
        > nature of this ever present reality is what may happen in this

        Beautifully expressed, Maria Luisa.
        It is so interesting that we can write
        or speak so many words about the one
        "Thing"("No-thing") that cannot be put
        into words, and that to talk or write
        about "It" is always fresh and new.

        Jeff
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 5, 2006
          <mlcanow@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > directed to any other thought in this instant, attention disappears
          > in its own source. (Well, at least I am trying to explain how I
          think
          > it may happen, though it may not happen this way) All there is,
          then,
          > is what always is in this very instant from ever and for ever. Any
          > other instant (before or after) is just another thought happening in
          > this instant.
          >
          > These are my ideas about the 'way'. But trully, trully, what I am
          > sure is that there is no way, only what happens in this instant
          which
          > (for me) could be expressed as 'existence from ever and for ever'.
          > So, a way to get where? Nowhere, only the possible recognition of
          the
          > nature of this ever present reality is what may happen in this

          Dear Maria Luisa,
          It is said that Realization of "IT" happens
          only by Grace. But there seems to be preceeding
          events that prepare one for "THIS". Like when
          soil is cleared of weeds and made ready for
          the seed to be able to grow and come into full
          bloom. I (whoever that is:-)) think that this
          post is just such an enrichment of our inner
          soil. And most certainly a Grace itself. Thanks!
        • Delia Tofolean
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 5, 2006
            Dear Maria Luisa,

            you began to find out what the notion of TIME really means. So many theories, so many practices so many holly books...and only one life, one hour, one minute.

            One of the truth is that we all try to find "the Kingdom of Heaven" while we are living in this world. And meditation give us a precious solace - all who are called and found faithful, whatever their destiny will find more about this precious knowledge.

            Alone to Alone but never Alone...

            Serenity and harmony

            Delia

            <mlcanow@...> wrote:

> [...]
            >
            > These are my ideas about the 'way'. But trully, trully, what I am
            > sure is that there is no way, only what happens in this instant
            which
            > (for me) could be expressed as 'existence from ever and for ever'.
            > So, a way to get where? Nowhere, only the possible recognition of
            the
            > nature of this ever present reality is what may happen in this
            instant.

            > Maria Luisa

            Dear Maria Luisa,
            It is said that Realization of "IT" happens
            only by Grace. But there seems to be preceeding
            events that prepare one for "THIS". Like when
            soil is cleared of weeds and made ready for
            the seed to be able to grow and come into full
            bloom. I (whoever that is:-)) think that this
            post is just such an enrichment of our inner
            soil. And most certainly a Grace itself. Thanks!

          • Maria Luisa Cano
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 5, 2006
              El 05/04/2006, a las 8:53, Jeff Belyea escribió:

> [...]
              > > directed to any other thought in this instant, attention disappears
              > > in its own source. (Well, at least I am trying to explain how I
              > think
              > > it may happen, though it may not happen this way) All there is,
              > then,
              > > is what always is in this very instant from ever and for ever. Any
              > > other instant (before or after) is just another thought happening
              > in
              > > this instant.
              > >
              > > These are my ideas about the 'way'. But trully, trully, what I am
              > > sure is that there is no way, only what happens in this instant
              > which
              > > (for me) could be expressed as 'existence from ever and for ever'.
              > > So, a way to get where? Nowhere, only the possible recognition of
              > the
              > > nature of this ever present reality is what may happen in this

              Thank you, and Yes Jeff, all of this intent many do is so interesting,
              and what seems more amazing to me, is that this no-thing is the most
              intrinsically inmanent intimacy of my own and true self (pure
              subjectivity). Strange, isn´t it? Being a non- being. To be what I am
              not, hmmmmm.

              So amazing, that what it brings about is no other than reverence and
              admiration, such an incognito I am...

              Maybe I will write about what this use of the words 'I' and 'me'
              really means to 'me'.

              I see you are not posting often, but whenever you do, it is as
              wonderful as always. But am also admired of your strength and
              insistence in creating ways for communicating 'this' wich cannot be
              communicated. My best wishes to your always borning and developing
              enterprises. Get fun and enjoy, what else can be 'obtained' from all
              this?

              Much love,
              Maria Luisa
            • Maria Luisa Cano
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 5, 2006
                El 05/04/2006, a las 8:54, medit8ionsociety escribió:

> [...]
                > >
                > > These are my ideas about the 'way'. But trully, trully, what I am
                > > sure is that there is no way, only what happens in this instant
                > which
                > > (for me) could be expressed as 'existence from ever and for ever'.
                > > So, a way to get where? Nowhere, only the possible recognition of
                > the
                > > nature of this ever present reality is what may happen in this
                > instant.
                > >

                > > Maria Luisa
                > >
                > Dear Maria Luisa,
                > It is said that Realization of "IT" happens
                > only by Grace. But there seems to be preceeding
                > events that prepare one for "THIS". Like when
                > soil is cleared of weeds and made ready for
                > the seed to be able to grow and come into full
                > bloom. I (whoever that is:-)) think that this
                > post is just such an enrichment of our inner
                > soil. And most certainly a Grace itself. Thanks!

                Thanks to you Bob,
                The real joy of all this 'writing about what is becoming clear' is
                the resonance that is found within others, when it happens. All this
                is done, just for the joy of it, no other reason, I suppose (because
                reason is something that has nothing to do with all this we are
                trying to understand, isn´t it?) And, not trying to be repetitive or
                boring, but reality is that resonance (for me) is the manifestation
                of the indivisible unity of existence .......... joyfully.

                Love and peace,
                Maria Luisa
              • Maria Luisa Cano
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 5, 2006
                  Dear Delia,
                  yes, time is a result of the process of thought, not the unbreakable base we suppose it is. Not the guillotine (I don´t know if this word exists in english, you know, that sword that cuts heads falling from the top?) we think it is. Because of the wrong notion of time, great suffering happens. Because we think there is this "I" that has to do something with its given time.
                  This is how I understannd time:
                  Time is the correlation of one memory to another memory. So "in memories we are lost"... It is the comparation of one object that has moved from one place in space to another place in space,  the change of attention from this place to the other place. It is all happening in the presence of awareness. Time is a tool needed for the creation of a continuity in thought, to give it significance and meaning, for the stories to be lived as if real. For the personage to perform its part on the play. All of it, a motion picture projected in the screen of awareness.

                  Thoughts appear and disappear, awareness is eternally and permanently present giving support to them. Time is what is perceived as the intervals between the changes in attention. But this perception happens in the permanent presence of awareness. So, where and what is time really? No mind, any answer will be so complicated...

                  About the kingdom of heaven with which we have all dreamed of, I am very clear that IT does not exist. There is nothing out there (all of which is impermanent),- an IT-  different from what my real nature is, that will give 'me' permanent peace and happiness. There is no magnificent and perfect experience inside (inner) either, that will last for ever giving 'me' permanent peace and solace and perfect harmony and happiness. It is only the discovery that this suffering 'me' we think we are does not exist as a separate entity but as an appearance in awareness, the clue to access the kingdom of heaven (peace and happiness as the presence on which all the pairs of opposites can appear and disappear) , independently of any arisings or movements of thoughts or identifications. I perceive that you are clear on this too, but thought that it was important to say it as simple as it is.

                  Love,
                  Maria Luisa

                  <mlcanow@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  >
                  > These are my ideas about the 'way'. But trully, trully, what I am
                  > sure is that there is no way, only what happens in this instant
                  which
                  > (for me) could be expressed as 'existence from ever and for ever'.
                  > So, a way to get where? Nowhere, only the possible recognition of
                  the
                  > nature of this ever present reality is what may happen in this
                  instant.

                  > Maria Luisa

                  Dear Maria Luisa,
                  It is said that Realization of "IT" happens
                  only by Grace. But there seems to be preceeding
                  events that prepare one for "THIS". Like when
                  soil is cleared of weeds and made ready for
                  the seed to be able to grow and come into full
                  bloom. I (whoever that is:-)) think that this
                  post is just such an enrichment of our inner
                  soil. And most certainly a Grace itself. Thanks!

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                • Delia Tofolean
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 6, 2006
                    Dear Maria Luisa,

                    thank you for your very interesting mail.
                    What time is concerned I think one of the great goals of meditation is to understand - and try to neutralize the guillotine -effect of time - I loved this comparison and I found it would be a very nice piece of a koan.
                    Time is a Key to Understanding - Key from the Emerald Tablets of Thot (1)and Understanding from Kabbalah (2) :

                    1)
                     Binah (Primary meaning: Understanding. Also known as: Intellect, Teshuvah (Repentance), Reason, palace, temple, womb, upper Mother, Jerusalem above, freedom, Jubilee, "YHWH pronounced as ELOHIM")
                    Binah, is the "Mother" aspect and associated with the dimension of time (the future) and the first "H" in Y-H-V-H.

                    2)
                    And I questioned the Master, saying: ?Was this thought eternal?? And answered me the Dweller, saying: ?In the beginning, there was eternal thought, and for thought to be eternal, time must exist. So into the all-pervading thought grew the Law of Time. Aye, time which exists through all space, floating in a smooth, rhythmic movement that is eternally in a state of fixation. Time changes not, but all things change in time. For time is the force that holds events separate, each in its proper place. Time is not in motion, but ye move through time as your consciousness moves from one event to another. Aye, by time ye exist, all in all, an eternal One existence. Know ye that even though in time ye are separate, yet still are One in all times existent.? Ceased then the voice of the Dweller, and departed I to ponder on time. For knew I that in these words lay wisdom and a way to explore the mysteries of time.

                    Never mind, Zen, Kabbalah, Thoth, a lot of Christian Saints said the same thing : Time is Light.

                    When I try to recollect something I try to remember first how was the light at that specific moment. Meditation is very time consuming - time is the money one have to pay for the light.

                    I wish you all the time you need to enjoy the light of every moment of your life

                    Delia

                    Maria Luisa Cano <mlcanow@...> wrote:
[...]

                    El 05/04/2006, a las 9:18, Delia Tofolean escribi󺦬t;/DIV>
                    Dear Maria Luisa,
                    ?

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 6, 2006
                      Dear Delia,
                      Wow! Never have read these concepts before. Thankyou. Very beautiful.
                      And yes, that changeless eternal time is recognized as light...so beautiful really.

                      Maria Luisa

                      El 06/04/2006, a las 15:51, Delia Tofolean escribió:

[...]

                    • Sandeep
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 6, 2006
                        Primordial to Light is Sound.

                        Primordial un-struck Sound, .........which is also an expressing.

                        Expressing which thus is experiencing.

                        The absence of the presence of expressing and the absence of the

                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 6, 2006
                          Yes, and the absence......................................................................................
                                                                                         always present

                          Maria Luisa Cano wrote:
[...]

                          Health and wellness Alternative medicine Health wellness product
                          Health and wellness program Health promotion and wellness Business health wellness

                          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                        • Sandeep
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 6, 2006

                            When there is Jar placed on  the ground,
                            we have the Ground with the presence of the Jar.

                            When the Jar is removed,
                            we have the Ground with the absence of the Jar

                            When both the qualifying conditions are no more........

                            The absence of the sense of presence........ AND ............the absence of the
                            absence of the sense of presence.

                            For both "absence" and "presence" are concepts of existential reality............ only within a notional gestalt of duality.

                            Maria Luisa Cano wrote:
                            Yes, and the absence......................................................................................
                                                                                           always present

                          • Delia Tofolean
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 7, 2006
                              Primordial to Light and Sound is the Cosmic Vibration.

                              Cosmic Vibration is Spiritualization.

                              But Spiritualization is useless without Moralization.

                              Moralization is too vaste a subject: I will quote Gandhiji - moralization is the restoration of the moral vows of truth and non-violence.

                              Too difficult ... let go back to the wonderful world of meditation and let us be

                              Wanderer along the path to heaven

                              Have a nice journey my friends

                              Delia