Re: Teaching inner peace in schools

  • aideenmck
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 27, 2006
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jessieK75"
      <jessiek75@...> wrote:

      > What might be some problems that would arise from teaching inner
      peace
      > with in the school system? I think that teaching meditation to
      children
      > at a young age is a great idea, especially if you can start it at
      > time when they are just developing theory of mind "ability to
      attribute
      > mental states to others" which usually occurs around the age of 3-
      4
      > yrs.The evidence is out there for the phyisological benifits of
      > meditation and also the psychological, but i want to know what
      people
      > would think might be some problems.
      > thanks for your opinions

      I think that if meditation is not taught within school systems,
      there's not a lot of hope for humanity and the planet. However, I
      currently happen to be living in an area where many people have been
      raised in a very conservative Christian atmosphere , where the old
      and new bible testaments are read literally and who
      want "creationism" taught as science. They are very frightened when
      there is even a whisper of such an eventuality.
      Aideen.
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 27, 2006
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "aideenmck"
        <aideenmck@...> wrote:

        > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jessieK75"
        > <jessiek75@> wrote:
        > >
        > > What might be some problems that would arise from teaching inner
        > peace
        > > with in the school system? I think that teaching meditation to
        > children
        > > at a young age is a great idea, especially if you can start it at
        > > time when they are just developing theory of mind "ability to
        > attribute
        > > mental states to others" which usually occurs around the age of 3-
        > 4
        > > yrs.The evidence is out there for the phyisological benifits of
        > > meditation and also the psychological, but i want to know what
        > people
        > > would think might be some problems.
        > > thanks for your opinions
        > >
        > I think that if meditation is not taught within school systems,
        > there's not a lot of hope for humanity and the planet. However, I
        > currently happen to be living in an area where many people have been
        > raised in a very conservative Christian atmosphere , where the old
        > and new bible testaments are read literally and who
        > want "creationism" taught as science. They are very frightened when
        > there is even a whisper of such an eventuality.
        > Aideen.

        What a small universe it is! Just this afternoon,
        I was talking with the producer of the Sunday
        Morning CBS News. What she was doing was researching
        a story she is doing about meditation programs
        now being offered in different education venues.
        I don't think there is anything more important for
        the Meditation Society of America to do than to help
        meditation become a part of every curriculum in
        every school. This is the best hope to change the
        "fear" that some have about life in general, and
        meditation in particular, into realizing that the
        most beneficial thing possible that we can do for
        ourselves and our children is to share concepts
        and techniques that lead to greater self knowledge
        and self control, and also get people "high"
        without the negative consequences that drugs bring
        with their use.
        In any event, I know that mostly I'm
        preaching to the choir here, but hope that the
        upcoming CBS report brings us closer to achieving
        the aim of having Meditation in Education.
      • aideenmck
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 27, 2006
          <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "aideenmck"
          > <aideenmck@> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jessieK75"
          > > <jessiek75@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > What might be some problems that would arise from teaching
          inner
          > > peace
          > > > with in the school system? I think that teaching meditation to
          > > children
          > > > at a young age is a great idea, especially if you can start it
          at
          > > > time when they are just developing theory of mind "ability to
          > > attribute
          > > > mental states to others" which usually occurs around the age
          of 3-
          > > 4
          > > > yrs.The evidence is out there for the phyisological benifits
          of
          > > > meditation and also the psychological, but i want to know what
          > > people
          > > > would think might be some problems.
          > > > thanks for your opinions
          > > >
          > > I think that if meditation is not taught within school systems,
          > > there's not a lot of hope for humanity and the planet. However,
          > > currently happen to be living in an area where many people have
          been
          > > raised in a very conservative Christian atmosphere , where the
          old
          > > and new bible testaments are read literally and who
          > > want "creationism" taught as science. They are very frightened
          when
          > > there is even a whisper of such an eventuality.
          > > Aideen.
          > >
          > What a small universe it is! Just this afternoon,
          > I was talking with the producer of the Sunday
          > Morning CBS News. What she was doing was researching
          > a story she is doing about meditation programs
          > now being offered in different education venues.
          > I don't think there is anything more important for
          > the Meditation Society of America to do than to help
          > meditation become a part of every curriculum in
          > every school. This is the best hope to change the
          > "fear" that some have about life in general, and
          > meditation in particular, into realizing that the
          > most beneficial thing possible that we can do for
          > ourselves and our children is to share concepts
          > and techniques that lead to greater self knowledge
          > and self control, and also get people "high"
          > without the negative consequences that drugs bring
          > with their use.
          > In any event, I know that mostly I'm
          > preaching to the choir here, but hope that the
          > upcoming CBS report brings us closer to achieving
          > the aim of having Meditation in Education.
          > Peace and blessings,
          > Bob

          Wonderful! - I hope so, too - the fear is considerable. Many of my
          neighbors think that the sort of "high" brought about by self-
          knowledge is "of the devil" & it's very difficult to show them
          otherwise. They would fight hard to keep what they perceive as
          occult practices out of the schools.
          Looking forward to the CBS Sunday Morning segment.
          Aideen.