Teaching inner peace in schools

  • jessieK75
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 27, 2006
      What might be some problems that would arise from teaching inner peace
      with in the school system? I think that teaching meditation to children
      at a young age is a great idea, especially if you can start it at a
      time when they are just developing theory of mind "ability to attribute
      mental states to others" which usually occurs around the age of 3-4
      yrs.The evidence is out there for the phyisological benifits of
      meditation and also the psychological, but i want to know what people
      would think might be some problems.
      thanks for your opinions
    • aideenmck
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 27, 2006
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jessieK75"
        <jessiek75@...> wrote:

        > What might be some problems that would arise from teaching inner
        peace
        > with in the school system? I think that teaching meditation to
        children
        > at a young age is a great idea, especially if you can start it at
        > time when they are just developing theory of mind "ability to
        attribute
        > mental states to others" which usually occurs around the age of 3-
        4
        > yrs.The evidence is out there for the phyisological benifits of
        > meditation and also the psychological, but i want to know what
        people
        > would think might be some problems.
        > thanks for your opinions

        I think that if meditation is not taught within school systems,
        there's not a lot of hope for humanity and the planet. However, I
        currently happen to be living in an area where many people have been
        raised in a very conservative Christian atmosphere , where the old
        and new bible testaments are read literally and who
        want "creationism" taught as science. They are very frightened when
        there is even a whisper of such an eventuality.
        Aideen.
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 27, 2006
          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "aideenmck"
          <aideenmck@...> wrote:

          > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jessieK75"
          > <jessiek75@> wrote:
          > >
          > > What might be some problems that would arise from teaching inner
          > peace
          > > with in the school system? I think that teaching meditation to
          > children
          > > at a young age is a great idea, especially if you can start it at
          > > time when they are just developing theory of mind "ability to
          > attribute
          > > mental states to others" which usually occurs around the age of 3-
          > 4
          > > yrs.The evidence is out there for the phyisological benifits of
          > > meditation and also the psychological, but i want to know what
          > people
          > > would think might be some problems.
          > > thanks for your opinions
          > >
          > I think that if meditation is not taught within school systems,
          > there's not a lot of hope for humanity and the planet. However, I
          > currently happen to be living in an area where many people have been
          > raised in a very conservative Christian atmosphere , where the old
          > and new bible testaments are read literally and who
          > want "creationism" taught as science. They are very frightened when
          > there is even a whisper of such an eventuality.
          > Aideen.

          What a small universe it is! Just this afternoon,
          I was talking with the producer of the Sunday
          Morning CBS News. What she was doing was researching
          a story she is doing about meditation programs
          now being offered in different education venues.
          I don't think there is anything more important for
          the Meditation Society of America to do than to help
          meditation become a part of every curriculum in
          every school. This is the best hope to change the
          "fear" that some have about life in general, and
          meditation in particular, into realizing that the
          most beneficial thing possible that we can do for
          ourselves and our children is to share concepts
          and techniques that lead to greater self knowledge
          and self control, and also get people "high"
          without the negative consequences that drugs bring
          with their use.
          In any event, I know that mostly I'm
          preaching to the choir here, but hope that the
          upcoming CBS report brings us closer to achieving
          the aim of having Meditation in Education.
        • aideenmck
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 27, 2006
            <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "aideenmck"
            > <aideenmck@> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jessieK75"
            > > <jessiek75@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > What might be some problems that would arise from teaching
            inner
            > > peace
            > > > with in the school system? I think that teaching meditation to
            > > children
            > > > at a young age is a great idea, especially if you can start it
            at
            > > > time when they are just developing theory of mind "ability to
            > > attribute
            > > > mental states to others" which usually occurs around the age
            of 3-
            > > 4
            > > > yrs.The evidence is out there for the phyisological benifits
            of
            > > > meditation and also the psychological, but i want to know what
            > > people
            > > > would think might be some problems.
            > > > thanks for your opinions
            > > >
            > > I think that if meditation is not taught within school systems,
            > > there's not a lot of hope for humanity and the planet. However,
            > > currently happen to be living in an area where many people have
            been
            > > raised in a very conservative Christian atmosphere , where the
            old
            > > and new bible testaments are read literally and who
            > > want "creationism" taught as science. They are very frightened
            when
            > > there is even a whisper of such an eventuality.
            > > Aideen.
            > >
            > What a small universe it is! Just this afternoon,
            > I was talking with the producer of the Sunday
            > Morning CBS News. What she was doing was researching
            > a story she is doing about meditation programs
            > now being offered in different education venues.
            > I don't think there is anything more important for
            > the Meditation Society of America to do than to help
            > meditation become a part of every curriculum in
            > every school. This is the best hope to change the
            > "fear" that some have about life in general, and
            > meditation in particular, into realizing that the
            > most beneficial thing possible that we can do for
            > ourselves and our children is to share concepts
            > and techniques that lead to greater self knowledge
            > and self control, and also get people "high"
            > without the negative consequences that drugs bring
            > with their use.
            > In any event, I know that mostly I'm
            > preaching to the choir here, but hope that the
            > upcoming CBS report brings us closer to achieving
            > the aim of having Meditation in Education.
            > Peace and blessings,
            > Bob

            Wonderful! - I hope so, too - the fear is considerable. Many of my
            neighbors think that the sort of "high" brought about by self-
            knowledge is "of the devil" & it's very difficult to show them
            otherwise. They would fight hard to keep what they perceive as
            occult practices out of the schools.
            Looking forward to the CBS Sunday Morning segment.
            Aideen.