Re: [Meditation Society of America] overwhelmed beginer can someone tell me where i am and how i got here?

  • Delia Tofolean
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 4, 2006
      Hi Jeff,

      I think u are a wonderful teacher. For me u are the genuine spirit who has inspired my favourite Zen Koan:

      1.   A Cup of Tea
      Nan-in, a Japanese master during the Meiji era (1868-1912), received a university professor who came to inquire about Zen.
      Nan-in served tea. He poured his visitor's cup full, and then kept on pouring.
      The professor watched the overflow until he no longer could restrain himself. "It is overfull. No more will go in!"
      "Like this cup," Nan-in said, "you are full of your own opinions and speculations. How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup?"

      In my poor opinion one has first to choose the right cup and afterwards he can try to empty it.

      With great respect

      Delia

      Jeff Belyea <jeff@...> wrote:
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "JESSICA"
      <jlmulli2692@...> wrote:

      > is there a camp or somewhere i can go a like to get classes a school
      > or something, i thought i was smart but i feel dumb here. i dont
      > know what bandied is i have to look up alot of words. i need
      > tutoring. but i know the site is wonderfully helpful. im glad to
      > have found it. i have learned alot thus far. ty

      Hi Jessica -

      Here's a beginning:

      Breathe. Easy and
      natural, right?

      Now, notice when you
      are inhaling and notice
      when you are exhaling.

      Do this for a few minutes
      (maybe after the kids are
      settled for the evening).

      When thoughts come in (and
      they will) let them go, and
      simply return to noticing
      when you are inhaling and
      when you are exhaling.

      Allow yourself to relax
      with each exhale. Just be
      quietly aware of your
      immediate surroundings
      while you do this.

      Congratulations. You are
      now a meditator.

      Jeff

      Yahoo! Mail

    • Jeff Belyea
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 4, 2006
        Thank you, Delia, for the heartwarming
        compliments, and the great story.

        Jeff

        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Delia Tofolean
        <deliatfn@...> wrote:

        > Hi Jeff,
        >
        > I think u are a wonderful teacher. For me u are the genuine
        spirit who has inspired my favourite Zen Koan:

        > 1. A Cup of Tea
        > Nan-in, a Japanese master during the Meiji era (1868-1912),
        received a university professor who came to inquire about Zen. Nan-
        in served tea. He poured his visitor's cup full, and then kept on
        pouring. The professor watched the overflow until he no longer
        could restrain himself. "It is overfull. No more will go
        in!" "Like this cup," Nan-in said, "you are full of your own
        opinions and speculations. How can I show you Zen unless you first
        empty your cup?"

        > In my poor opinion one has first to choose the right cup and
        afterwards he can try to empty it.

        > With great respect
        >
        > Delia
        >
        > Jeff Belyea <jeff@...> wrote:
        > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "JESSICA"
        > <jlmulli2692@> wrote:
        >

        > > is there a camp or somewhere i can go a like to get classes a
        school
        > > or something, i thought i was smart but i feel dumb here. i dont
        > > know what bandied is i have to look up alot of words. i need
        > > tutoring. but i know the site is wonderfully helpful. im glad to
        > > have found it. i have learned alot thus far. ty
        > >

        > Hi Jessica -
        >
        > Here's a beginning:
        >
        > Breathe. Easy and
        > natural, right?
        >
        > Now, notice when you
        > are inhaling and notice
        > when you are exhaling.
        >
        > Do this for a few minutes
        > (maybe after the kids are
        > settled for the evening).
        >
        > When thoughts come in (and
        > they will) let them go, and
        > simply return to noticing
        > when you are inhaling and
        > when you are exhaling.
        >
        > Allow yourself to relax
        > with each exhale. Just be
        > quietly aware of your
        > immediate surroundings
        > while you do this.
        >
        > Congratulations. You are
        > now a meditator.
        >
        > Jeff

        > Health and wellness Alternative medicine Health
        wellness product Health and wellness program Health promotion
        and wellness Womens health and wellness

        Service.